• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ospreys v Edinburgh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Oct 5 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How did Tommy Bowe go from being a joke at Ulster like terrible is complmenting him to Ospreys Tommy 1 of best backs in world[/b]

As I've said in the past. The Ospreys as a region really do know how to develop players, either youngsters or players they've brought in. The likes of Burne and Phillips have both improved since joining (Burne more so), along with Tommy Bowe. They also bring youngsters through that are very complete players (looking forward to see Kristian Phillips back in action on the wing at some point).

That's always been a strong point of theirs. Their problem has always been to get all the class players they have to play as a team. Things are looking better on that front though, we'll know more in a few months time though.

Tommy Bowe was a regular in the Ireland team when he signed for the 'spreys, and I seem to remember a lot of us thinking it was a very good signing. It's not like the Ospreys took a crappy journeyman and magiked him into a world class player Muffin.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Oct 5 2009, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Tommy Bowe was a regular in the Ireland team when he signed for the 'spreys, and I seem to remember a lot of us thinking it was a very good signing. It's not like the Ospreys took a crappy journeyman and magiked him into a world class player Muffin.[/b]
True but he was only Magner League class leaving Ulster but now he is world-class abd watching his career carefully i also notice mentally he much more alert and knowledgable.

Like in H'Cup last year he could leave Thomond with head held up despite it been a hammering and Bowe been in FB a position he rarely plays.

Think Ospreys deserve huge credit as they do develop alot of players

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Oct 5 2009, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Tommy Bowe was a regular in the Ireland team when he signed for the 'spreys, and I seem to remember a lot of us thinking it was a very good signing. It's not like the Ospreys took a crappy journeyman and magiked him into a world class player Muffin.[/b]

I agree, but he has become a better all round player since joining the Ospreys. He was certainly a big signing at the time, great attacking player (and he always has been, top ML try scorer ever), but there were parts of his game that were shaky. The same is true of Burne, who wasn't that good a player when he was at the Scarlets. His defense was shocking, and his attacking play was alright, but he's now one of the best fullbacks in the world. Phillips was always a good player, but he has steadily improved at the Ospreys.

I think you're giving too much credit to the Ospreys, it seems to me that the credit should also be given to Gatland and Kidney rather than just the Ospreys coaching staff.

Eh? I think the clubs have more to do with the development of players than the international setups! There is no denying that the Ospreys produce top quality players, probably more than any other team in the NH. That's never been their problem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 5 2009, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think you're giving too much credit to the Ospreys, it seems to me that the credit should also be given to Gatland and Kidney rather than just the Ospreys coaching staff.[/b]
No i agree with the working with Kidney but not Gatland and I know Tommy was always good.
But since he joined Ospreys his game has risen rapidly and I don't think if Tommy Bowe stayed with Ulster he'd be still complacent and lazy. Tommy needed to come out of comfort zone and he did that in fairness to him.
Also it helps playing in a world-class backline too.

Also Alan Gaffney deserves credit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Oct 5 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 5 2009, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you're giving too much credit to the Ospreys, it seems to me that the credit should also be given to Gatland and Kidney rather than just the Ospreys coaching staff.[/b]
No i agree with the working with Kidney but not Gatland and I know Tommy was always good.
But since he joined Ospreys his game has risen rapidly and I don't think if Tommy Bowe stayed with Ulster he'd be still complacent and lazy. Tommy needed to come out of comfort zone and he did that in fairness to him.

[/b][/quote]

the Gatland comment was in relation to Lee Byrne not Bowe obviously.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 5 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Oct 5 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 5 2009, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

the Gatland comment was in relation to Lee Byrne not Bowe obviously.
[/b][/quote]
Oh right well i'd pay more praise toward Rob Howley and Edwards as his defence has been super too.

Well I can't see that either coaches mentioned had near enough time with those two players to make a difference. Wasn't Bowe's rise to fame a long time before Kidney? Should we be praising O'Sullivan aswell? With Lee Burne, it was almost certainly his move to the O's that started things off. He was awesome in the 2008 six nations where Gatland had barely any time atall to prepare, nevermind transform the defense of a player from shocking to unbeatable.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 5 2009, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well I can't see that either coaches mentioned had near enough time with those two players to make a difference. Wasn't Bowe's rise to fame a long time before Kidney? Should we be praising O'Sullivan aswell? With Lee Burne, it was almost certainly his move to the O's that started things off. He was awesome in the 2008 six nations where Gatland had barely any time atall to prepare, nevermind transform the defense of a player from shocking to unbeatable.[/b]
No Eddie wanted to play him prop :lol:

Just watched highlights of the game today, the defence on the first three Ospreys tries was shocking (although there was a block on the third try, but that's no excuse). The intercept looked offside too but whatever. Will need to tighten up and get smarter against Stade.

I thought he might have been offside as well, but I didn't care as it was a blummin' Tight Five breakway try! Next, can we see Adam Jones go for the interception.

And, in all fairness, us Welshies deserved one 'Maybe-Almost' try, after Trimble taking out the only defender whilst there was nobody on the ball before his first try against the Scarlets. Or that's my excuse, anyway.

Latest posts