• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Our new game is coming soon:- "Rugby Champions"

Hi
We will shortly be releasing the video trailer for "Rugby Champions", and we will have more details regarding the game and its editor too. Plus pricing.
Kind Regards
Dave
Customer Support
Alternative Software Ltd.
RugbyChampions_SALESHEET_Smaller (5).jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/app/939350/Rugby_Champions/

Not to veer into Dave's lane here but there's a good minute of gameplay here. Not the best looking graphics but the gameplay looks more like rugby than rugby 18 did. The slow-mo kicking is a bit much I think though.

Looks like you will just have to go in and change the names. They already have the initials correct so it shouldn't take too much work.

Hi
We are currently aiming to release "Rugby Champions" in approximately 2 weeks time.
We do hope you will like the "gameplay", plus ability to mod the game with the in built editor.
Please visit the game's Steam Store page, which now features a gameplay video.
When released we expect the price to be around £14.99 price point, with a special launch discount.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/939350/Rugby_Champions/

Kind Regards
Dave
Customer Support
Alternative Software Ltd

Poor, poor graphics... Unacceptable in 2019 and after Rugby Challenge Series!!! :(:(:(

Rugby challenge looked okay and had terrible gameplay, this game has a very good AI platform. Have a look at Global rugby manager and national rugby manager that alone beats Rugby challenge.

Poor, poor graphics... Unacceptable in 2019 and after Rugby Challenge Series!!! :(:(:(

I really hope a DLC is later added that include domestic teams can only play the world cup so much

Dave - is this a rugby management game like NRM or one in which you have to control the players on the field?

Hi Guys, I am one of the developers of the game. It is a playable game, not a management game.

The focus has been very much on gameplay. If you are looking for a fun rugby gameplay experience, then I think you should really enjoy the game. And if you are looking for a simulation style challenge, that is provided on the harder difficulties, with a real focus on smart AI to compete against. No cheap tricks :)

Sounds great. I am onboard. I get the impression from previous games that you guys are passionate about the sport and also desperate to push rugby gaming.

Hi We are now getting closer to the release of "Rugby Champions".
The game is a fun budget release ( not a £54.99 full price console game), in which gameplay plus the ability to edit and mod are the key features.
We really hope that you will enjoy the game.
So you can prepare :) here are the currently planned joypad controls.

Kind Regards
Dave
Customer Support
Alternative Software Ltd
Controllers for Rugby Champions.jpg

Looks good, but wont' the slow mode make the game a bit easier?

How do guys plan to rate each player (will there be some weekly/monthly update for rosters)

I am still playing rugby 08 mods and this might be the upgrade I need. We need more people like you to create a rugby game. If the creators of rugby games (past games) only put in the effort like the Fifa/PES creators we would have had a decent game long time ago

Looks good, but wont' the slow mode make the game a bit easier?

How do guys plan to rate each player (will there be some weekly/monthly update for rosters)

I am still playing rugby 08 mods and this might be the upgrade I need. We need more people like you to create a rugby game. If the creators of rugby games (past games) only put in the effort like the Fifa/PES creators we would have had a decent game long time ago
Slow mode does make kicking easier, but in testing we found without it, it was too difficult. It allows you to have much better control over kicking and pull off some great kicks, especially in tight spots. Things like little chips by a winger on a break, just as the fullback is closing in.

The original rosters will be based on our ratings, but you will be able to edit and share these with others in game. We will also look to add rosters and update them over time if the game is well supported.

We definitely view it as a foundation for future ***les. The key difference is that we want to get gameplay right first, graphics to follow. The other way round has been implemented by other rugby games, but at least in our opinion hasn't led to rugby gaming progressing.

Last edited:
Will there be a demo or something to test gameplay?
Hi
Not planned, as Steam will now let you download and play the complete game, and if after 2 hours you should not like it, you can get a full refund.

Kind Regards
Dave
Customer Support
Alternative Software Ltd

My review:

Rugby game with 2019 World cup tournament mode and rosters made by the community to update player names (stats need updating tho). The game doesn't offer AAA graphics and reminds me of EA Rugby 2001 (much improved on the graphics front tho due to the Unity engine). The bonus of this is that I get to play the game on my crappy laptop and my gaming desktop.
The gameplay is fun and much improved from recent years attempts, given that the game is developed by a two man team, you have to take your hat off to them.
The kick is not perfect yet and I'm struggling with slow-mo and out of a slow-mo movement (this might be me not used to controls yet). I do love the slow-mo as it works perfectly with the gameplay. Something I do miss from the game is a fatigue bar when sprinting, I'm not sure if this is implemented tho, but should definitely be on my wishlist.
The controls are well laid out but will take some practice to time perfect. At the current edition, there is no ability to pick up with the 8man from the scrum, lineout and scrums also don't really seem contestable. (If you care about that, doesn't break the gameplay and no need for silly minigames)
Rucks is all about timing and space if you isolate your player you can bet you will lose the ball, especially if you don't preload players to enter the ruck. One can, however, only win the world cup so many times, so how to ensure more hours of fun with the game.
What I would really like to see as a DLC is perhaps a World League edition like the previous Rugby 2008 offered. Throw in in some random clubs on a couple of leagues, player transfers, budgeting with player progression and regression (age and injuries aren't kind to players) and you have a pretty solid game at your hand with years of enjoyment.
The whole package is packed in under 500mb, don't let that fool you. Given the price, I can go and enjoy a nice double whopper meal at my local BK. The launch price is set correctly and you won't be disappointed, it is well worth it. (it's an absolute steal) You have no excuse to support the developers and buy the game!
The developers should be applauded for their efforts, I do see myself getting bored in the near future with only one tournament and hope to see some additions in the near future instead of purchasing a whole new game.
The only ****le I have is that at the start of every game I find my self having to zoom out my camera if the settings could be set beforehand and saved it would be fantastic.

Wishlist:
- Fatigue and fatigue bar
- Camera settings that are saved
- Plater tradeable world league with player progression and regression

Screenshots

fFF0C01.png

Latest posts