• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Overhype of "world's best" Dan Cole

Your fullback thing is way off as the three who are talked about have been consistent apart from as I said injuries. OK Halfpenny was only moved to 15 a little over a year ago but he was always a quality consistent player before that too. Also of course players will be talked up when they're on form thats what happens you can't really say the best in the world more the best in the world at the moment imo. I mean has Dagg or Franks never had a bad game?

Yes Hayman has been good for Toulon every time I've seen him.

Sorry this post is almost serious way out of keeping with the thread.

I'm not actually talking about the players themselves at all though - I'm talking about how quickly people go from calling one of them 'the best in the world' - to another. I'm not saying Franks or Dagg don't have bad games - but for me it's how many consistently good games can they have over a prolonged peiod of time - which is important to be called 'the world's best'. One season doesn't really ever seem enough. You wouldn't say "so and so is the best tennis player in the world" - on the basis of one tournament.

Cheers for the Carl Hayman thing - been having trouble watching Toulon matches at the moment.

Carl Hayman was already very good last season. I'd say this one is not better. His absence is probably the reason why Toulon was bullied last final against Toulouse (Steenkamp totally dominated Hayman's replacement, and Toulouse got a few points off scrum penalties).

I'm not actually talking about the players themselves at all though - I'm talking about how quickly people go from calling one of them 'the best in the world' - to another. I'm not saying Franks or Dagg don't have bad games - but for me it's how many consistently good games can they have over a prolonged peiod of time - which is important to be called 'the world's best'. One season doesn't really ever seem enough. You wouldn't say "so and so is the best tennis player in the world" - on the basis of one tournament.

Cheers for the Carl Hayman thing - been having trouble watching Toulon matches at the moment.

Hayman didn't make Toulon first team in his first season, second season he was great and one of the top props, this season however he's not been as good. Not bad of course, but there was one match against Toulouse where Gethin Jenkins was also playing and the Toulon scrum got destroyed. Also didn't get the better of the Cardiff Blues and Sale (two of the most hapless scrummaging sides) like I expected he would have.

Latest posts