• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pick one guy per nation.

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
If you could pick one guy from a nation to add to your own current national XV; all in separate instances, like: if you could pick one guy from Ireland, who would you select to add to the rest of your country's XV. Then in a completely separate setting, if you had to pick one guy from Australia, who would you select to add to the rest of your country's XV. And so on. Those are completely separate each time, you're not accumulating guys from other nations progressively, each time it's one foreigner with the rest of your nation's 14 players.

I think it's cool to see who ppl would choose, how different the picks would be relatively to a given nation's needs, if there's consistency from posters from a same nation, etc...

So you're not necessarily picking a nation's best player, if that player doesn't fit your nation's needs. E.g. if you're Irish, you may not want Michael Hooper from the Wallabies as you like SOB at 7, and would rather go for Skelton, maybe, I don't know.
And just pick someone from each nation, be lenient, if you're from some of those top nations chances are you have everything you need, but just to show respect to those other nations and for the sake of entertainment..

For France, I'd go (will only do Tier 1 nations as they're all I know well), copy/paste the following config if you like:
1- New Zealand: interested in Retallick and Savea. Will pick Retallick. Swiss-army knife do it all youthful big man.
2- South Africa: Willem Alberts. I'd have a third row of Nyanga+Alberts+Picamoles, perfect mix of sheer brutal power and athletic ability.
3- Australia: Folau over Hooper.
4- England: Launchbury. We don't have many young locks of his profile here. Good, big boy, heads down, works, don't hear/see him, strong but skillful also.
5- Wales: George North. He and Huget, boom.
6- Ireland: Cian Healy, we're currently very confused about who's our better props with the drop in form of some, the new rules' effect...etc...
7- France: n/a
8- Scotland: Kelly Brown. No actually Tim Visser. Huge winger, still young enough, put him with Huget. Boom. (Again)
9- Italy: Alberto de Marchi. Powerful scrummager, good all-around player.
10- Argentina: Marcos Ayerza. Best scrummager in the world atm quite possibly, would bring security and certainty up front.

1- New Zealand: N/A
2- South Africa: I'm going to say Bismark du Plessis. He hasn't been great in recent weeks, but on form he is the best hooker in the world, and would add another powerful ball carrier to our pack.
3- Australia: Folau to play on the right wing. 11. Savea, 14. Folau, 15. Smith. Epic.
4- England: How is Cole going? I rate Corbisiero, but is he fit? Some sort of prop would be good.
5- Wales: Gareth Anscombe...... only kidding. Halfpenny could be a handy option on the right wing, especially as it would take the goal-kicking pressure off Cruden/Barrett.
6- Ireland: Cian Healy. O'Brien would suit our style too, but wouldn't displace McCaw (he would be a nice bench option though).
7- France: n/a. They are too rubbish. I mean... ummm... maybe a prop of some sort? How's Domingo going? I like him. Oh actually I would go for Fofana (at least until SBW is back and up to speed).
8- Scotland: Ross Ford would be a handy bench option.
9- Italy: A. Prop.
10- Argentina: Ayerza.

Fin.

Currently Cole isn't fit, Corbs is. Mildly surprised you've picked so many props and so few hookers, I'd have thought hooker was the weakest position in the All Black 23.

I suspect most English lists would be heavily biased towards backs.

1. New Zealand - Conrad Smith. To immediately fix the 13 void
2. South Africa - Bismark du Plessis. Just a whole different kind of specimen to Best.
3. Australia - Israel Folau. I was thinking of Ashley-Cooper for the 13 slot. Think he's up there with the best 13s when he's allowed to play there but I'll go with Folau cos self explanatory.
5. England - Joe Launchbury. O'Connell's knobbly knees are going to give out soon so it'll be nice to have a line out operator like Launchbury take the reigns.
5. Wales - George North. Him and Bowe on the wings would be a handful.
6. France - Wesley Fofana. Again our midfield in general is pretty undecided. D'Arcy is old and the ones coming through are still finding their feet.
7. Scotland - No one really stands out. Alex Dunbar to develop in the centre maybe.
8. Argentina - Marcos Ayerza.

Actually, I think Samoa should be on the list. Lots of good players. I'd take guys like Alapati Leiua, Kahn Fotuali'i, and a couple of their forwards.

Last edited:
Currently Cole isn't fit, Corbs is. Mildly surprised you've picked so many props and so few hookers, I'd have thought hooker was the weakest position in the All Black 23.

I suspect most English lists would be heavily biased towards backs.

I probably could have (/should have) gone for a few more hookers, but I have been very impressed with Dane Coles this season (and he really suits the current ABs gameplan), so I think a starting LH would be more valuable in many cases. The likes of Best, Hartley, Ghiraldini and Hibbard would all be good choices too (I assume they are the still the starting hookers for their respective sides? I really should watch more 6 Nations!). I did perhaps got a bit prop obsessed and forgot about hookers....

Last edited:
1- New Zealand: Carter, was gonna pick a forward like Franks or Kaino but Carter can run the show like no other.
2- South Africa: Francois Louw, play him at blindside
3- Australia: Genia, would help with tempo and shape
4- England: Marler, was gonna pick Corbisiero but Marler reminds of Jenkins
5- Wales: N/A
6- Ireland: Cian Healy
7- France: Fofana best 12 in the world, could be partnered with Davies or Roberts.
8- Scotland: Richie Gray
9- Italy: Alberto de Marchi
10- Argentina: Marcos Ayerza, close call between him and Figallo but i believe the future is bright with Lee. Hernandez at 10 as well was an option.

1-NZ: Dan Carter
2-SA: N/A
3-Aus: Michael Hooper
4-England: Manu Tuilagi
5-Wales: Leigh Halfpenny
6-Ireland: Sean O'brien
7-France: Rory Kockott (hahaha!!)
8-Scotland: Tim Visser
9-Italy: Castrogiovanni
10-Argentina: Ayerza

I suppose it would depend on both what SA needs or could do with and who I see as other nations' best players:

1 NZ
So many class players to choose from. The guys I'm considering; Retallick, Read, A Smith, Cruden, Savea, C Smith, B Smith. For SA it's between Retallick and one of the 3 Smiths as we have Vermeulen and Habana. Probably I'd go for Conrad Smith as I think 13 is our least 'settled' position and Smith is just pure consistent class here. If this was long term I'd go for Ben Smith since he can cover 13 and the rest of the backline and probably looose forward.

2 SA
Could we get Fourie du Preez back please!?

3 Aus
Considering Hooper, Skelton, Folau, AAC. AAC for the same reason as NZ, Skelton as a foil to Etzebeth now while PSdT is still out. Hooper and Folau just because of their impact.. I'll take Hooper actually; Hooper/Alberts/Vermeulen.. oh, yeah! Folau might struglle within our 'systems'.

4 England
I'll take Tuilagi, Launchbury or Lawes. Probably Launchbury to complement Etzebeth as I think we have enough battering rams at 13 and I'd like a playmaker in there so Tuilagi is out even if I do rate him.

5 Wales
Not sure who I'm interested in here. A lot of world class quality throughout but is anyone really no.1 in their position? I feel where Wales has strength we have strength so I'll probably go for Halfpenny for safety sake.

6 Ireland
Healy? We need props in form

7 France
Fofana. Fofana. Yes, probably Fofana... or FTD.

8 Scotland
I don't know the Scots well enough.

9 Italy
Probably a prop.

10 Argentina
I'd love all their props. Either Ayerza (dominating ATM) or Figallo as TH is more critical. Figallo.

My picks above assume we have a fit FdP as 9 for SA is key. Otherwise I'd have gone Aaron Smith, Parra etc easily. I rate our options at 10 just fine (even if green) with the right 9.

Last edited:
I thought Folau would do well with SA up and under bomb kicks...
Anyway For England
1.New Zealand- Barrett, just because Tuilagi would work really well with a 10 on the line. But then some of our young guys can do that so maybe a 12 like SBW. Actually SBW as we need a world class 12.
2.SA- We are quite similar to them and I would probably go for Alberts, scary big man.
3.Aus- If he was fit Pocock, but I will go for O'Connor as he is great from anywhere between 12-15.
4.Eng-
5.Wales- North, someone who gets over the gainline constanty
6.Ire- Sean O'Brien, Robshaw-Vunipola-O'Brien
7.Fra- Fofana/Trinh-Duc/Domingo/Picamoles/Fall.... I would have to go for Fofana as him at 12 with Manu :mellow:
8.Scot-None of them would really add to our team. Possibly go for Laidlaw as he would be a great back up for Care, or maybe Denton as a hard running 6/8 ?
9.Ita- De Marchi or maybe that Campagnaro kid ? I would go for De Marchi
10.Arg- Lobbe, possibly the greatest leader there is and would be great opposite Robshaw.

1. NZ- Retallick Smith is tempting but Retallick is too good atm to pass up while we lack a bit of depth at lock.
2. SA- Vermulan- Having a great season, great for go forward and donkey work
3. AUS- AAC I'd take him to fix the 13 hole hard not to pick Folua though
4. England- Ford just really like him and he would be a great back up to Johnny
5. Ireland N/A
6. Wales North
7. France Fofana
8. Italy- umm pass?
9. Scotland- Laidlaw
10. Argentina- whoever their TH is.

1- New Zealand: Conrad Smith
2- South Africa: Habana
3- Australia: Foley
4- France: Fofo
5- Wales: J Davies
6- Ireland: Murray
8- Scotland: Hogg
9- Italy: None
10- Argentina: None

Goddamnit I was going to say Murray and look all smart and original. Damn you to hell.

Goddamnit I was going to say Murray and look all smart and original. Damn you to hell.
He ruined it by not picking an Argentine player though. Or am I missing a sure bet world XV English prop?

NZ: Brodie Retallick or Julian Savea
SA: Bryan Habana or Eben Etzebeth
Italy: Sergio Parisse or
Wales: Toby Faletau
Ireland: Jonathan Sexton
France: Wesley Fofana
Australia: Adam Ashley-Cooper
England: Danny Care

My team:

1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Agustin Creevy
3 Ramiro Herrera
4 Tomas Lavanini
5 Brodie Retallick (NZ) or Eben Etzebeth (SA)
6 Juan Fernandez Lobbe
7 Pablo Matera
8 Sergio Parisse (ITA) or Toby Faletau (WAL)
9 Danny Care (ENG)
10 Jonathan Sexton (IRE)
11 Bryan Habana (SA) or Julian Savea (NZ)

12 Wesley Fofana (FR)
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper (AUS)

14 Juan Imhoff
15 Joaquin Tuculet

With this team, Pumas could win the fkg Rugby Championship :p

Last edited:
Very surprised the English aren't picking Sexton! You'd dominate Europe and up there with the favourites at the World Cup next year with a world class 10.

NZ - Retallik
SA - Habana
Aus - Folau
Eng - Launchbury
Wal - North
Ire - N/A
Fra - Fofana
Sco - Hogg (Centre maybe? We're better than Scotland in most their stonger positions.)
Ita - Campagnaro
Arg - JM Hernandez

Ireland are a lock, centre and a (fit) wing short of being completely solid currently, explains a lot of my choices.

You vastly overestimate the effectiveness of doing a looparound every single phase

You vastly overestimate the effectiveness of doing a looparound every single phase

Ah sure its not 2011 anymore we've moved on now. And actually the fact that its helped win 2 Hcups, 1 challenge cup 1 Pro12 and 1 6N would suggest otherwise.

Latest posts