• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Player name pronunciation

During USA v Wales the (Yank) commentators were talking about a Denial Jones, which later became Dean-yall Jones. Not to mention Jonathan Dave-EE's.

In the Amlin Cup final last year, the commentator who I lovingly refer to as 'Irish Guy' just called him 'Denny Jones' the whole way through, including when he got that interception and was almost away- 'DENNY! DENNY JONES!!'

Close Shag. Ioane correctly pronounced is YOUR-AH-NE, so you pretty much right Shag come to think of it lol.

The 'g' is silent. With the 'g' there TUILAGI becomes TUI-LA-NGEE, if you put an 'n' there TUILAGI becomes TUI-LA-KNEE.

Thanks Sam, I got definitely got Tuilagi wrong :)

In the Amlin Cup final last year, the commentator who I lovingly refer to as 'Irish Guy' just called him 'Denny Jones' the whole way through, including when he got that interception and was almost away- 'DENNY! DENNY JONES!!'

Is he the same commentator that calls George Stowers "Stores"?
Looking forward for him to join the O's just so I can refer to him more often.

CH - this is similar to 'LL' above, but a little harsher.

DD - this is pronnounced in a similar way to 'TH' in English, but much softer. Just relax your mouth a little more.

Nice explanation Dull, here are some examples if any of you are struggling.

Examples of Ch-Heinrich in German. Juan in Spanish(Castellano). Groningen(the g not the ng) in Dutch.
Examples of Dd-The in English, not Through however. Just say the words to yourself and you will realise there is a slight difference.
Examples of Ll- -hlala in Zulu (Had to look hard for this one, hopefully one of you speaks it:p). A good way of saying it is to press your tongue to the back of your teeth, and blow out the side of your mouth. It is officially known as the voiceless alveolar lateral fricative(Thanks Wikipedia:p)

I'm just looking forward to when there is a rugby player called Llewarch Prydderch:p

Any one else find it annoying when Ghiraldini is pronounced Jiraldini? It's a hard G damnit!

I also find it annoying when people pronounce Agulla as Aguja, despite being correct! It's just I learnt to speak Castellano Spanish(wouldn't call a Gcse learning a language but there we are) where a ll is rarely pronounced like an English J, and instead more like a U. So I say it Aguia. But for some reason it seems to be pronounced differently in Argentina.
I also find it annoying when when people call Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino, Lucas Amorosino. Lucas Gonzalez is more correct as that is the paternal name. Amorosino, the maternal name, is sometimes included if they have a common name, like Gonzalez, to differentiate.

Last edited:
You're right about Agulla. In Spain and in any spanish speaking country besides Argentina and Uruguay it would be pronounced somthing like a-GOO-ya (the 'g' is softer than in english, though). The argentines pronounce the Ll almost as an english 'sh'. Here's a try by Agulla with Argentinian commentators (his name is pronounced from the 34s mark):

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruaridh (Jackson) is pronounced 'Roo (as in the cow sound moo)- ree' (as in re-direct)

I will be f***ed as to why, but to paraphrase another poster, there you go...

We should be glad there's not a lot Xhosa people playing rugby because those "click" sounds you have to make to pronounce their names correctly is a real pain in the ass.

You can see the guy's face when they have to talk to Xola Ntshinga after a match in SA, the poor boertjies struggle with the "Click"...

Latest posts