• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool 5 (Bordeaux, Clermont, Exeter, Ulster)

Shanahan having a total howler. Don't run away from a scrum going backwards to have your 8 deal with it.

What is Ulster's main problem coaching wise?

Forwards or backs?
It's looking like there'll be a big clearout with Doak (Head Coach) and Clarke (Pack) likely to be let go. They also lost their defence coach Barakat, so lots in motion.

Genuine attempt to catch that, IMO.

He's reaching backwards, not slapping the ball.

Forwards or backs?

I'd say both Tigs. Like the backs they've the talent but don't seem tonbe getting the coaching right to execute and use strengths accordingly.

In forwards I think they're coaching could be better but equally they don't seem to have a very good pack. Like they've struggled at lock over past few seasons since Muller left. And props haven't been great.

It's looking like there'll be a big clearout with Doak (Head Coach) and Clarke (Pack) likely to be let go. They also lost their defence coach Barakat, so lots in motion.

I've said it before but I really think Ulster should go after Cockers as the Forwards coach.

Looked like a slap down IMO.

Forwards or backs?
The pack mainly. The backs are by far the more talented unit but aren't getting enough quality ball. Their tight five is very poor. I'd have some sympathy for Allen Clarke because you can't polish a turd but his coaching of the Ireland u20s wasn't up to scratch and I believe the same is true for the Ulster pack.

Ah you go for it with one hand you'll always have that called against you

- - - Updated - - -

The pack mainly. The backs are by far the more talented unit but aren't getting enough quality ball. Their tight five is very poor. I'd have some sympathy for Allen Clarke because you can't polish a turd but his coaching of the Ireland u20s wasn't up to scratch and I believe the same is true for the Ulster pack.
I can appreciate working with very average players, but the pack don't know their roles, look aimless at the set piece and are technically poor in every facet.

What's that yellow card going to do to encourage "proper" tackling?

Absolutely ****ing nothing.

This is spot on but strangely. They've argubally the best pool as more years than not Ulster Schools Rugby is seen as strong as Leinster's schools. But academy output doesn't seem to be on same levels. I've wondered is the issue even more down line too.
Like your spot on about Clarke but is it also a string of issues

I can appreciate working with very average players, but the pack don't know their roles, look aimless at the set piece and are technically poor in every facet.
I don't disagree with that at all.

Head coach must take some blame too. He's picked a lightweight flanker in the second row and a player who's been capped at test level at second row at 6 today for example. Two rookie props aren't getting any help and their scrum is being massacred as a result.

Ulster need fresh voices as forward and backs coach and a lot of new personnel in the tight five. Until they get an adequate tighthead and a big ******* in the second row, they're not going to trouble anyone.

That bit on Henderson will be interesting going forward. Ulster see him as 6. Ireland want him as a lock for both club and country

Can he play 6 with Ulster signing Botha thought that move was allowed due to moving Henderson to lock?

(Although Botha has a worrying injury record).

I'm assuming part of the reason Arno Botha was recruited and Franco van der Merwe was released is that Ulster were told to pick Iain Henderson at second row.

Ulster should win this if they cut out their sloppy errors. They've missed out on a couple of tries through lack of patience in the 22.

Can he play 6 with Ulster signing Botha thought that move was allowed due to moving Henderson to lock?

(Although Botha has a worrying injury record).

That is rumoured to be deal but as youbsay if Botha is injured will they rather throw him 6 in a scenario and say f off to IRFU (who own Henderson).

Like I don't think I've ever heard Henderson say where he prefers

Latest posts