• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool Draw and Schedule for Gold Coast Sevens

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/tournament/home/02/06/35/47/2012goldcoast7sschedule.pdf

As a USA fan, I'm not feeling too optimistic. We haven't even regularly beat Canada for several years.

My thoughts exactly when I saw the draw this morning. I am hopeful though that we get more regulars this time in addition to adding a few part-times. One man I'll be keeping an eye on is Old Blue's Luke Hume. He played well in Canada and in the NASC this past summer. I know he's been nursing injury and 2 weeks ago played on Old Blue's 2nd side instead of the 1's. Don't know which side he played for this past weekend, but both the A and B sides are 2-0 at the moment.

Off topic there but any who, the US will be at best 1-2. The real problem for this team has always been the second day. They lose to teams they shouldn't and they don't finish off games well. Holding hope they pull a surprise or two!

I think Canada will do farily well this season all though possibly not in this event since the pool is so tough, we finished higher than a couple of full time countries last year and with a full commited team I'm expecting better. Portugal and Spain might struggle a bit along with whatever team is the invitee(with the notable exception of Tonga).

It looks as though the format for qualifying next year has been changed once again hopefully a thread will go up with the details but I'm feeling lazy and tired so maybe I'll do it later in the week.

Although we are the NO.1 in Asia of 7's, but I say that the women's team.We have no chance to join the goldcoast 7's,Damn!

Found an article about the USA v Canada Gold Coast matchup thanks to twitter of all things:

There are 24 matches on day one of the 2012 Gold Coast Sevens, including an enticing encounter between North American rivals USA and Canada.
The two sides are likely to become more familiar than in previous years due to Canada's qualification as a core team on the HSBC Sevens World Series, but the pools have seen them drawn together in the first of nine rounds.
Both teams qualified for the 2013 Rugby World Cup Sevens in Moscow at the recent NACRA Sevens Championship, but it was the Canucks who edged their rivals in the final, and head coach Geraint John is anticipating another great match between the two sides.
"We always seem to be drawn against them at the moment," said John.
"There is a rivalry amongst us. We get on as a group of staff and players off the pitch and we enjoy each others company.
"Some of the technical aspects almost go out of the window when we play each other because we just want to win the game, but hopefully that won't come into it at the weekend."
USA Sevens captain Shalom Suniula agrees with John, but believes the defeat to Canada in the NACRA Sevens has set the platform for a rematch here in Australia.
"We had NACRA Sevens and we let that game get to us," said Suniula.
"We had emotional ties to it though which always happen when we have these local derby tournaments.

"It [the defeat] has set the platform for us. When we do play them there is an emotional tie, we shouldn't but it does happen. We need to focus on what we do best and leave the emotional side of things.
"It is a tough pool, but all of them are tough, the fact we have Canada though makes it more exciting."
As well as each other the North American rivals have been drawn against defending Series champions New Zealand and 2008/09 Series winners South Africa.

Compete against the best
"There are two other teams in the pool," added Canada coach John.
"The world number one New Zealand and South Africa too, but these are the teams we want to measure ourselves against.
"We are here to compete and play against the best. If we want to progress and become a team nobody wants to play against we need to do well and that is what we want to get out of this weekend, to see where we are and where we need to improve so we can move on for the rest of the Series."

Canada qualified as a core team alongside Spain and Portugal in Hong Kong, and John has been able to lead into the Series with preparation he is happy with.
His players have been centrally based on Vancouver Island, and they now have 17 players training every single day which he hopes will pay dividends at the end of the season.
"It was pleasing we won in Hong Kong and we have worked really hard since then to prepare for Gold Coast.
"If you look at somebody like Phil Mack for example, he brings a wealth of talent and knowledge of the game.
"He was part of the team that was on the core team prior and he has been wanting to get back on the circuit as a core team since.
"But it is reward for the hard work all the players have put in, they are all looking forward to it. Since Hong Kong, the training has intensified and the willingness has increased.
"We have an exciting group of players, three under the age of nineteen. This summer being an Olympic year has added an extra spice, and they know in four years time they could be part of Rio."

http://www.irbsevens.com/destinatio...63757.html#canada+usa+primed+gold+coast+clash

Well Well Well,

Did anyone managed to see the South Africa vs New Zealand game?? What a performance by the blitzbokke!!

Yeah, definitely a very good effort from South Africa. We couldn't even get out of our own half.

Well Done Fiji, they beat NZ in the final 32 - 14

Their winger Raitini was so fast, he scored a hat trick running around Williams-Spears 3 times, one he ran 80 metres, running around Mikelson, stepping Cama then out pacing Spears to score

Play maker Raqamate was awarded player of the tournament

South Africa took 3rd place beating Kenya

Spain beat England to win the Bowl Final, they were really impressive and this was their first tournament as a core team

Last edited:
Only managed to catch two games of this tournament (due to timing/work) - Fiji v Samoa and Argentina v New Zealand. Both good games!
Fiji were on fire, not surprised to see them win the whole thing.

Argentina v New Zealand was great as well, the Pumas had a lot of intensity and but for a bounce of a ball/a miss pass/a dropped ball they could have won (or drawn) the game - they had the ABs on the back foot for a good part of the match.

My team actually played better against New Zealand than Canada if you can believe it. Well, they lost both though so not that important. Actually won against Tonga in the shield semi though, but were taken to the shed by Scotland, and Wales not much better. A football punt returner named Isles who transitioned to rugby 7's was fun to watch though, that dude is fast and scored a couple of tries against the Tongans in their only win. Highlights if anyone is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv6imIj-_UA

Last edited:
My team actually played better against New Zealand than Canada if you can believe it. Well, they lost both though so not that important. Actually won against Tonga in the shield semi though, but were taken to the shed by Scotland, and Wales not much better. A football punt returner named Isles who transitioned to rugby 7's was fun to watch though, that dude is fast and scored a couple of tries against the Tongans in their only win. Highlights if anyone is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv6imIj-_UA

It says "The uploader has not made this available in your country"

Highlights from Day 2

2:44 on this is one of the best tries I've seen in a long long time

I gotta say Fiji's defence was incredible, especially against Samoa, Fiji were down to 6 men, Samoa had almost all of the ball for the entire match but they still couldn't get over the line until over time after the referee gave them penalty after penalty. Fiji's defence was solid for the entire tournament.

South African were the other best team in the tournament, they thrashed New Zealand on Day 1, but they got Fiji in the Semi Final, that was actually a close game, South Africa made a bad decision going for a drop goal when they were down 14 - 7, Fiji also got a yellow card in that game

Last edited by a moderator:
Fiji were absolutely brilliant, that winger Raitani is sooo fast! They played great as usually, Fiji is the only team I don't mind losing to (of course I'm an All Blacks Sevens supporter).
The All Blacks were quite rusty, but finally to end as runners-up, this is a very good start, especially considering the results of the likes of England, Australia or Samoa. Cama wasn't clearly at his best (maybe he should grow his beard again?) and in general the All Blacks were much slower than the Fijians. I think we really miss Frank Halai, someone big, strong and fast. So overall it's good that we got this result while clearly far away from the best form.
Spain really impressed me, it's very good for the game if they can hold on to that kind of form and results. Same goes for Kenya, I'm a big fan of this team and I'm very happy with their results. Australia started on a high (the only team to beat Fiji), but ended on a low in front of their own fans.

Lots of fantastic plays over the weekend and nice results for me as a fan :)

The sevens are back! :)

Latest posts