• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Position Advice (for me)

C

chinwaggler

Hi guys, Sorry if this is in the wrong place but general rugby seems general enough for this:

I was just wondering if any of you could give me some advice on what position I should play.

I've played rugby since I was 8. Started out as a loosehead prop cause at that age, being chubby is enough to be a forwrd. :cheers:

Then as I got to my school's firsts, I hit puberty early and found myself larger than most of my conrads and was moved to Lock. I was still pretty unfit at this time, the only sport I did was school sport and that doesn't push you so much does it.

Then I moved into secondary school and still played as a second row. I paid the price for having an early growth spurt when my parents are both short chineseseses. :cheers: and found myself smaller than most of my conrads.

I stopped rugby in 2004 because of other priorities. Now, after seeing the World Cup get underway (and almost all the way by today) I asked my rugby coach if it was alright if he let me have a game as I wanted to get back into it. 20 hours later I was in the 2nds on the wing. The coach said he'd recommend me for the firsts :cheers:

Basically. Seeing as I haven't played for 3 years, I'm not sure which position would best suite me. :cheers:

I love contact, hitting them hard in tackles and charging into people.
I've got a good old kick but my left (weaker) leg is horrible I'm guessing as I haven't tried it yet.
Handling is good.
I'm 5ft 10 and 11.5 stone. I ran the length of a rugby pitch in 11.04 seconds (minus a delay from my mum being stupid).

I'm a lot fitter now as I've trained in Taekwon-Do for two years and go to the gym regularly, I'm putting on weight.

Any more questions are welcomed, please some advice if you will.

I think your position will be good at flanker or no.8. Not much strength needed in the scrums and those are pretty much the same as backs.

Charging into people: rucks, bowl them over and giving your team a turnover would give you a good name in the team. Helping in the rucks around the fringes would help out the fatties too. Maybe those weights in the Gym would help you lifting in the lineouts.

big hard hits give you the most reputation, missing tackles would chuck that away. Surely being in the backs you would need to tackle a lot. Being in the fowards you tackle not too often but enough for the game. Giving the opponent a big hit every once and so often in your season will surely give you a good reputation. hitting up the ball in a penalty, i think you would have the upper body as you go to the gym and being fast would also help alot. Quick steps would pressure the opponents and would probably mark you as their main runner, if so then you should go into the rucks more often and every once so often going back into the backline and hitting them hard would be a great help for the backs.

As a newcomer of rugby i suggest being in the fowards would give you more experience and when you think you are ready (and if you want to) you can go into the backline and make yourself

Well this is just my recommendations from a U57kg secondary schoolboy, but i hope it helps

Winger, I understand, this is the position I asked to play although I need to get used to being a back and find out a bit more about my responsibilities and positioning.

What's your reasoning behind outside center? My college 1st team have a good guy in that position so unless I can be outstanding there then I should probably go for another position.

-----------------

I thought about being flanker as it's not a main pusher in the scrum and they are similar to half-backs which I like as it means I have more opportunities to join the backline.

I like you're reasoning behind being a forward and not tackling as much as if I were a wing/full back as in the game, I landed 5/6 big hits but missed 2/3.

Also, what d'you mean by 'hitting up the ball in penalty' YKNGR?

Winger, I understand, this is the position I asked to play although I need to get used to being a back and find out a bit more about my responsibilities and positioning.

What's your reasoning behind outside center? My college 1st team have a good guy in that position so unless I can be outstanding there then I should probably go for another position.

-----------------

I thought about being flanker as it's not a main pusher in the scrum and they are similar to half-backs which I like as it means I have more opportunities to join the backline.

I like you're reasoning behind being a forward and not tackling as much as if I were a wing/full back as in the game, I landed 5/6 big hits but missed 2/3.

Also, what d'you mean by 'hitting up the ball in penalty' YKNGR?
[/b]

Mate, if your a flanker your going to be tackling a hell of a lot more than you would at wing/fullback. By hitting the ball up in the penalties, I believe he means you are right within the contact zone if your a loose forward.
I think you should play center. If you like hitting the ball up and making big tackles then that's probably the best position. Wingers do not really do as much physical work as centers do.

Personally, I'd say you could do a good job at 12. On paper at least.

You get a lot of contact opportunity in that position, in both attack and defense, and need the good handling skills you say you possess. A good boot also helps, as it removes the necessity of the 10 kicking all match, and it sounds like you have the pace to exploit any gaps which appear.

The thing you may need to work on (I don't know, you haven't metioned it specifically), is the ability to pass accurately off both left and right hand, as well as being able to time a pass to put others into space. A 12 needs to have the ability to to both run himself and distribute to the wider players.

Not being hugely tall isn't a problem in this position either, as there have been some great centres who weren't the biggest - Tim Horan and Scott Gibbs are two that spring instantly to mind.

13 is good, you can put on the big hits and with the ball make the big brakes. But backs can be more involved in rucks these days so your forwards background / training would be usefull for hitting rucks when the rest of the pack are getting a bit tired and trying to turn-over the ball or win it quickly to get the backs going again. Don't worry about kicking - the ball doesn't get past the 1st 5 much these days - but you'll get to tackle plenty of locks and props in the oppositions backline.

Aywhere in the backrow is a loose forward. However, at less then 6 foot I'd suggest putting on a bit more weight and playing hooker; You'll get eaten alive in the backrow if you're anything below 6'1".

at 5ft 10 I'd recomend you do try out at hooker. Work on your lineout throws, your scrummaging and you should be good.....but if you think you're fit enough to run around all over the place, then try halfback.

(I'm not too keen on playing as a front 5. especially not front row I hated it when I was younger).

Thx nonetheless though :cheers:

I think your position will be good at flanker or no.8. Not much strength needed in the scrums and those are pretty much the same as backs.

big hard hits give you the most reputation, missing tackles would chuck that away. Surely being in the backs you would need to tackle a lot. Being in the fowards you tackle not too often but enough for the game
[/b]

What!? Backrow forwards need a fair bit more strength than backs due to scrummaging, rucks and mauls as the loose forwards should be the first to the breakdown to secure/steal the ball.
Plus flankers/no.8's should have a massively high tackle count.

I would recommend either 13 or wing, your way too light to be a forward you'd get thrown around like a ragdoll unless you bulked up majorly, plus it would be a shame to waste your pace in the jiggerypokery of the boiler room

How old are you to begin with?

I generally agree with ospreys1987, at 11 and a half stone, you haven't got the bulk to be a foreward, therefore in the backs is your only opportunity.

12, 13 or wing seems the obvious choices. Depending on your age, you might need to put on some weight for 12/13. The only other position I think is worth considering is scrum half, all depends on the quality of passing you posses (off both hands).

I think you need to sit down with the coach after a training session and ask what he thinks the best posssition for you is.

I'm going to have to side with a lot of people and say flanker, it's more interesting having a quick forward

I'm going to have to side with a lot of people and say flanker, it's more interesting having a quick forward [/b]

you have to be much more experienced to be at a position like that. I change my mind. I think you should just play at wing/no.12/no.13 :p

woman%20on%20top.jpg

"The Cowgirl" is the position I most often advise. It feels great, plus you get the benifit of doing little work and being slapped in the face by her lovely boobs.
So, "knock" yourself silly with this tip from me, your friend.

Latest posts