• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Position Advice Please

I think you would gain I'm not an expert but I think most of my weight gain occured in the first month.

Workout A:

3x5 Squat
3x5 Chest Press
1x5 Deadlift
2xFailure Dips

Workout B:

3x5 Squat
3x5 Shoulder Press
3x5 Row
2xFailure Pull ups

That's what I'm thinking I'm going to do. Sounds like a solid program, dug it up from one of the older threads; It's basically Rippetoe's program with some beneficial changes, that I need since I'm on a time constraint.

* Shoulder Press = Military Press
* Chest Press = Bench Press
*Row = Bent Over Row (Pendlay Row)

This does smack of what used to go on when I was in school in that no discussion was ever entered into small fat kids played prop lanky tall kids played 2nd row and everyone else just sort of fitted in somewhere. I know physical attributes do play a role in position selection but I think desire and skill set have more impact especially in the modern game look at George North, Mike Phillips and of course Jonah. If he had turned up at my school he would have been chained to the back row probably the front row thinking about it.

What do you see as your greatest attribute if you can hit a sixpence with a rugby ball from 25 metres then you will obviously be playing a different role to if you break tackle bags in half when you hit them. Enjoy rugby play where YOU want

This does smack of what used to go on when I was in school in that no discussion was ever entered into small fat kids played prop lanky tall kids played 2nd row and everyone else just sort of fitted in somewhere. I know physical attributes do play a role in position selection but I think desire and skill set have more impact especially in the modern game look at George North, Mike Phillips and of course Jonah. If he had turned up at my school he would have been chained to the back row probably the front row thinking about it.

What do you see as your greatest attribute if you can hit a sixpence with a rugby ball from 25 metres then you will obviously be playing a different role to if you break tackle bags in half when you hit them. Enjoy rugby play where YOU want

Great post.

However, I still think that as a beginner it's not a bad idea to learn your strengths/weaknesses at a lower pressure position. Throwing in a fresh rugby player at fly half can be overwhelming. Give it a couple of years and you'll learn where your true calling is.

Yeah agree with that most 10's start as a 12 (Johnny) or a 15 (Jason Tovey Dragons 10) to ease themselves in

Height/ Weight have nothing to do with it. It's about technique, and ability. Obviously you are not going to be a prop, maybe not a lock. Some of the best players in the world are around your height. You can be anything you want, but remember play where you enjoy and which suits your skills.

However if i made a judgement, i'd say from second row to fullback - you're suitable for.

Oh yes, for sure. I take down the biggest guys in my league regularly. I'm pretty fearless when it comes to contact. Still, I get run over sometimes just because they have 50 pounds on me.

I still would like to bulk up a lot more, regardless of how big I am now or how big my opponents are.

It's happened to me mate. It happens to everyone. I've played against tons of islanders (i.e Fijians, Tongans, and Samoans, perhaps 30/40 kgs heavier 6' 5 wingers, centres and they're only 18 or so they say. Jeeze mate, they were massive. One even looked like Joe Rockoco. Sometimes there is nothing you can do, but give it ago. However the best advice against the big guys is to go low around the legs. If you go high 9 times out of 10, you will get bumped off.

I have pretty broad shoulders. I tried to measure them... Pretty hard to do by yourself. They were about... 18-19inches. (So like 48 centimeters)

Do you guys think, if I did a 5x5 programm like StrongLifts or whatever, I could gain 10 pounds in 6 weeks?

I gained 30lbs of (mostly) muscle when I first started, that took around 2-3 months, however you could try GOMAD for a few weeks see if that helps?

Sounds like a solid program. Yeah, I don't have too much time though.

If I did SL 5x5 or something, I'd probably need to start off with a higher weight than the recommended 45lb, as I have 4-6 weeks before I'd stop. You think doing a 5x5 program, where you can't even be close to finishing it, do anything for me? I'd need to find one where I started off with some decent weight as well.

Also start at 45lbs, I started there and it took around 4 months to get my squat to 300lbs 1RM, my deadlift to 310lbs (haven't tested that in a while) and my bench to around 175lbs.

Latest posts