• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Position of the Skipper

SixteenSixtySix

Academy Player
Country Flag
Malaysia
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Most captain I see are fly-half, flankers, locks and such. Are there any centers that's a captain?

I'd say flankers and centres are the two most frequent captain positions...

Anywhere really, but id say fullback and wing would be least common as its hard to lead a team from out in space. However the all blacks did it in 2009 in the france series with mils muliaina at 15, and the highlanders did it for some of this year with hosea gear on the wing. Funnily enough both were a disaster but I dont know if you can put that on the captaincy

Last edited:
There's a few I can think of...

Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland)
Jean de Villiers (South Africa)
Mike Tindall (ex-England and ex-Gloucester)
Chris Bell (Wasps)
Casey Laulala (a few times?) (ex-Cardiff)
Aurelien Rougerie (Clermont)

Locks and backrowers are by far and away the most popular captains. Those 5 positions must account for 70+% of captains. Centers are the next most likely. Quite a handful of hookers (Hartley, Smit, Rees etc.). One or two half-backs (Flood, Laidlaw etc.) I can think of at least a few outside backs (David Lemi (last year for Samoa), Doug Howlett (ex-Munster), Campese (ex-Australia), Geordan Murphy (ex-Leicester)).

But where are all the prop captains!? Vickery was one, but I cannot for the life of me think of any others.

Last edited:
Dylan Hartley captains Northampton saints and he plays hooker

Lock and back row and the common place as they are:

1. Involved in pretty much every play in some way or another and closer to the ref usually.
2. The most intelligent people on the pitch :p

But where are all the prop captains!? Vickery was one, but I cannot for the life of me think of any others.

We have to much to concentrate on...and need to catch our breath instead of talking to the ref!

Apologies for my ignorance I guess I don't know enough about the players and teams of the sport

The Skipper? What I want to know is what position Gilligan plays?

;-)

das

I think flankers are the most frequent captain positions because is the most comprehensive position in rugby, then it's easier to be respected by all players. A flanker must be as strong as a prop and as fast as a back, is one of the most difficult positions.

A prop is strong but not fast enough as a back. And a back is very fast but doesn't participate in the scrum, one of the crucial moments in rugby and so it's difficult to be respected among the forwards. But a flanker participates in all phases of the game: Scrum, line-out and can run like a back. So IMO everyone respects him more easily.

Cheers

Canada's have normally been Lock's, backrow's and Fly halves. Though Pritchard is a vice captain at full back.

Just in pro era of international teams (I'll only include players with 10 or more tests). This took my like, 3 hours. And I was only vaguely interested in the first place...but anyway I think its reasonably comprehensive - the stats are from scrum.com, the brackets are the number of tests as captain. If someone finds a link which pretty much is just this, be kind and never let me find it. Certains countries like Russia, Spain etc just didn't seem to have any information.

Prop: Joao Correia (POR, 30), Peter Fatialofa (SAM, 16) Paul Vickery (Eng, 15), Deacon Manu (FIJI, 13), Dai Young (WAL, 12), Levan Tsabadze (GEO, 12)

Hooker: John Smit (SA, 83), Sean Fitzpatrick (NZ, 51), Raphael Ibanez (FRA, 42) Keith Wood (IRE, 36), Greg Smith (FIJI, 30),Patrick Riordan (CAN, 23), Massimo Cuttitta (ITA, 22), Jonathan Humphries (WAL, 19), Alessandro Moscardi (ITA, 19), Masahiro Kunda (JAP, 14), Mahonri Schwalger (SAM, 13) Tom Billups (USA ,12) Gordon Bulloch (SCO, 11), Dimitri Oboladze (GEO, 11), Marius Tincu (ROM, 10), Phil Kearns (AUS, 10), Anton Oliver (NZ, 10)

Lock: John Eales (AUS, 55), Fabien Pelous (FRA, 42), Raphael Ibanez (FRA, 41), Martin Johnson (Eng, 39), Marco Bortolami (ITA, 38), Sorin Socol (ROM, 36), Ilia Zedginidze (GEO, 32), Steve Borthwick (Eng, 21), Pedro Sporleder (ARG, 20), Victor Matfield (SA, 17), Mario Lame (URU, 16), James Horwill (AUS, 13), Mihai Macovei (ROM, 12), Zurab Mtchedlishvili (GEO, 12), Inoke Afeaki (TON, 12), Nathan Sharpe (AUS, 10), Todd Blackadder (NZ, 10), Abdelatif Benazzi (FRA, 10), Alastair Kellock (10), Paddy Johns (IRE, 10)

Loose Forwards: Richie McCaw (NZ, 82), Sergio Parisse (ITA, 50), Takuro Miuchi (JAP, 45), Semo Sititi (SAM, 39), Thierry Dusautoir (FRA, 38), Massimo Giovanelli (ITA, 37), Gary Teichmann (SA, 36), Takashi Kikutani (JAP, 34), Todd Clever (USA, 32), Ryan Jones (WAL, 32), Francois Pienaar (SA, 29), Dave Hodges (USA, 28), Nili Latu (TON, 25), Alan Charron (CAN, 25) Dan Lyle (USA, 24), Rocky Elsom (AUS, 24), Reuben Thorne (NZ, 23), Pat Lam (SAM, 23), Taine Randell (NZ, 22), Lawrence Dallaglio (Eng, 22), Collin Charvis (WAL, 22), Sam Warburton (WAL, 20) Jason White (19) Corne Krige (SA, 18), Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (17), Kort Schubert (USA, 17) Martin Corry (Eng, 17), Andre Vos (SA, 16), Chris Robshaw (Eng, 16), Rob Wainright (SCO, 16), Vasco Sousa Uva (POR, 16) Tiberiu Brinza (13), Bob Skinstad (SA, 12), Lewis Moody (Eng, 11), Aaron Carpenter (CAN, 11), Alifereti Doviverata (Fiji, 11), Ifereimi Tawake (FIJI, 10)

Halfback: George Gregan (AUS, 59), Irakli Abuseridze (GEO, 31), Agustin Pichot (ARG, 30), Fabien Galthie (25), Alessandro Troncon (22), Rob Howley (WAL, 22), Brian Redpath (SCO, 21), Mosese Rauluni (FIJI, 17), Michael Bradley (IRE, 15), John Graf (CAN, 15), Morgan Williams (CAN, 15), Gary Armstrong (SCO, 14), Mike Blair (SCO, 14), Joost van der Westhuizen (FRA, 10)

Fly Half: Lisandro Arbizu (ARG, 48)

Centres: Brian O'Driscoll (IRE, 83), Will Carling (Eng, 59) Stirling Mortlock (AUS, 29), Felipe Contepomi (ARG, 25), Tana Umaga (NZ, 21), Jean de Villiers (SA, 18), Romeo Gontineac (ROM, 14), Sebastian Salvat (ARG, 13), Yukio Motok (JAP, 12), Andrew McCormick (JAP, 10),

Outside Backs: Gareth Rees (CAN, 25), Gareth Thomas (WAL, 21), Gavin Hastings (SCO, 20), Chris Patterson (SCO (13), Toshiaki Hirose (JAP, 14)

Interesting to see how close McCaw is to the record, how long is he injured for? He could break it before the end of the RC.

Latest posts