• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Post your questions to legendary referee, Jonathan Kaplan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a big uproar over the home crowd pressuring the match producers (supersport ,sky) and then the Ref and tmo to re-look at incidents which pundits suggest might have been ignored if it was against the home team. What is your opinion on this?

Well done on the interview guys!

How much of an influence do you feel with hindsight a captain can have on a ref?

Which captain was the most influential one you reffed?

There are so many things to look for during play and many incidents seem to be missed. The more we know about the protocols and procedures which apply to refs and linesmen, the more we can direct our frustration away from them towards the law-makers and referee managers of World Rugby. So ...

1. Other than foul play, what is the latest guidance / rule on what incidents linemen can / must inform the referee about ? The moment they are given a flag, normally loquacious referees seem to turn into blind mutes about forward passes, offside etc which take place right in front of them.

2. What protocols (if any) are there between the ref and the linesmen about who looks for what - so incidents are less likely to be missed ? For example:
- In a kick-chase, does one linesman look for a late tackle on the kicker; one linesman look where the ball is landing; the ref look for obstruction of the chasers ?
- Does each linesman monitor the offside of one team while the ref monitors the scrum, lineout, ruck or maul (offside defenders being a blight on attacking play) ?

Thanks.

What went thru your mind when Schalk Burger tackled you instead of the NZ player a couple of years ago during the 3 Nations?

Are there any current players that you think would make a good ref?

What is your evaluation of Wayne Barnes' performance in the 07 RWC quarter final match between France and NZL?

Okie dokie...

The big question: Is the scrum really necessary, and should a goal have two bars? ;)

The real questions: Do you think players' respect for the referee has diminished over the years, especially with the introduction of the TMO?

And has the introduction of the TMO reduced the usefulness or importance of touch judges?

Thankies, even if you don't use my questions!

das

Okie dokie...

The big question: Is the scrum really necessary, and should a goal have two bars? ;)

The real questions: Do you think players' respect for the referee has diminished over the years, especially with the introduction of the TMO?

And has the introduction of the TMO reduced the usefulness or importance of touch judges?

Thankies, even if you don't use my questions!

das

hahaaaa !! Vintage TRF posting at its finest right there !
And very good (actual) question there.

1. How does a referee handle a home game? Lets say WP vs Blue bulls and the ref is craig joubert who is a blue bulls fan (i know) i have seen a game where he penalized WP slightly more as i watched form a neutral perspective. Don't "home" refs usually penalize their team "bulls" in this case slightly more to not make it seem to evident they "support" them. God was that 2 questions now (o_O)

2. Are refs allowed to support a team and make it public and then officiate at them? Refs are passionate rugby fans too...

3. Spit or swallow?

Q: If I were playing a game and made no attempt to intercept a pass and instead thumped it (with my hand) a few feet into the air, then ran and caught it, would it be deemed a deliberate knock-on as technically, it wasn't a knock on?

Why is law testing not a Unified Global Task?

Law testing tends to be tried first in one hemisphere where the style of play may be different to the other so you will have differing opinions. Would trying both hemisphere's at the same time reduce the conflict of interest in any new laws being discussed in future?

Mark

Hello Mr Kaplan

We often hear folks from tier two teams complaining about "inefficient handling by refs" when playing vs tier one teams (and in many cases they're right)

But we seldom hear any official comment about these "mistakes"

When? you think this "tier bullying" will come to end ?

Knock one and forward passes

Hi Kaplan, many fans of both Rugby codes can't understand why, when the laws on knock ons and forward passes are identical, they are policed so differently. In League, the slightest hint of the ball going forward is usually picked up yet in Union, referees (and commentators) seem prepared to overlook small indiscretions - but these sometimes influence the result of the match, a premiership or even the world cup. You can't have a small knock on or a pass that is just a little bit forward any more than you can be slightly offside so why does Rugby continue to turn a blind eye to this. It's not good for the game and very frustrating to fans.

- - - Updated - - -

Mr Kaplan, the two referees one game system has been used in Stellenbosch for the first time and in the Varsity Cup, what is your take on that? Do you think this system will be successful in the long run?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the questions! We'll now gather 10 of them and send them off to Jonathan :)

Great questions. When is the interview taking place?

Guessing I am late but I would have liked to ask him about the Cornal Hendricks sin-bin against Wales? There is definitely a grey area surrounding two players jumping for a high ball simultaneously. I understand the benefit of the doubt normally lies with the defending jumper, but I think there is too much interpretation of the law. There is a fine line between taking out the defender and correctly challenging for the ball.

We're currently waiting for Jonathan's answers. Unfortunately it looks like we won't receive them until the new year.

We'll let you all know of any developments.

We're currently waiting for Jonathan's answers. Unfortunately it looks like we won't receive them until the new year.

We'll let you all know of any developments.

Thanks for the update!! I know these things take time (I've done Q&As before for forums I moderated, so I understand). I will be patient! :D

das

Status
Not open for further replies.