• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Prem squads 2017/18 season

What do you mean so do Tigers?
I bet our outgoing list looks alot better than our incoming list in recent season.
We tend to have the highest outgoings when it comes to players, hence why we look to be one of the biggest spenders come end of season.

I mean in one season didn't Quins sign Adam Jones, James Horwill, Visser and Jamie Roberts?

This is true. However, since then Saili has been our only signing of any real note in two seasons.

In the main, we now sign other clubs' reserves like Swainston or Lewis or relatively little-known SH players like Bothma and Catrikalis.

I really struggle to see where our cash is going now, but in any case, Jones is transitioning in to a coaching role and Roberts only has another year on his contract so hopefully we'll have some money to spend next season on some marquee players.

This is true. However, since then Saili has been our only signing of any real note in two seasons.

In the main, we now sign other clubs' reserves like Swainston or Lewis or relatively little-known SH players like Bothma and Catrikalis.

I really struggle to see where our cash is going now, but in any case, Jones is transitioning in to a coaching role and Roberts only has another year on his contract so hopefully we'll have some money to spend next season on some marquee players.

From what i have heard the likes of Brown, Robshaw and Care are amongst the highest earners in the prem. Robshaw is worth it still but not sure Brown and Care are value for money any more TBH.
Yarde is also on a big wage.

You where really lucky you signed Sinckler up when you did in October as he would be getting a **** ton of big money offers now after this Lions tour, Genge new contract for us took up alot more cap.

True - Brown and Care have been excellent servants over the years, but when both were rumoured to be off a few months ago, I don't recall any real gnashing of teeth from Quins fans.

Good players, but both have seen better days and I think we could have acquired cheaper replacements that would potentially add more to the side.

We could have had Woodward and De Klerk for example.

I guess the he EPS money balances it out to some degree.

True - Brown and Care have been excellent servants over the years, but when both were rumoured to be off a few months ago, I don't recall any real gnashing of teeth from Quins fans.

Good players, but both have seen better days and I think we could have acquired cheaper replacements that would potentially add more to the side.

We could have had Woodward and De Klerk for example.

I guess the he EPS money balances it out to some degree.
I was personally quite worried if Care and Brown had left simply because that would have undermined the quins ethos of the academy products that stick around for their whole career and may have encouraged others to do the same. I am confident that Clifford, Marchant, Sinckler etc will never leave us and that is what I love about the club

I was personally quite worried if Care and Brown had left simply because that would have undermined the quins ethos of the academy products that stick around for their whole career and may have encouraged others to do the same. I am confident that Clifford, Marchant, Sinckler etc will never leave us and that is what I love about the club

I think you're dreaming if that is the case.
1) Care is a leeds player not a Quins academy player.
2) The world of agents will mean that is never likely to happen.

The last crop of academy players that IMO most likely be one club players where the 2009 JRWC lot.

We live in a pro era where 18 year olds have agents and are starting to move clubs for money it's a sad fact of the pro game.

probably, but weve managed to maintain it so far

When a player turns over 27 they will start to think about there future more and things change and if Quins fail to get into the champions cup regularly the lure of other clubs becomes a lot greater.

Players like Sinckler, and Marchant haven't got the added bonus of having a prem winners medal on the wall like Brown and Robshaw have.

Also think Quins biggest fault is there loyalty to academy players, they haven't been ruthless enough really.

Tigers updated squad
1. Genge, Mulipola, Rizzo
2. Youngs, McGuigan, Thacker
3. Cole, Bateman, Cilliers
4. Barrow, Slater, Wells
5. Kitchener, Fitzgerald
6. Williams, Croft,
7. O'Connor, Ryan, Evans
8. Kalamafoni, Hamilton, Mapapalangi
9. Youngs, Harrison, Kitto
10. Ford, Ford,
11. Thompstone, Catchpole
12. Toomua, Owen,
13. Manu, Smith, Malouf
14. Holmes, Brady
15. Veainu, Tait, Worth

When a player turns over 27 they will start to think about there future more and things change and if Quins fail to get into the champions cup regularly the lure of other clubs becomes a lot greater.

Players like Sinckler, and Marchant haven't got the added bonus of having a prem winners medal on the wall like Brown and Robshaw have.

Also think Quins biggest fault is there loyalty to academy players, they haven't been ruthless enough really.

Yeah. I'm inclined to agree with this.

We have the foundation of a very good side but some poor decisions/failures in the transfer market over the past few years have held us back when other clubs are moving forward and stealing a march on us.

Signing Roberts was one such mistake IMO. He's made very little impact and has been a very poor return on significant investment. His signing has also prevented us from going for other marquee signings we could have seen more value from.

We need a bit of a change of approach to keep pace with other more outwardly ambitious clubs and retain the emerging stars produced by our academy.

This is an interesting read, a look at academy graduates in the premiership:
https://alexshawsports.wordpress.com/2017/07/10/premiership-academy-analysis/

Don't agree with his assessment of the Tigers thing at the bottom.

MOC, tends to give youngsters a chance if they are good enough which is how it should be if you want to be up there IMO.
Youngs, Ford and Manu all where given significant game time under him for their ages really. Most of the whinging is from Leinster but lets be honest he had a posioned chalice with that team and obviously didn't like the hands on approach by the IRFU

I mean it the only player Mauger era brought up to the senior squad so far is Will Evans.

Latest posts