• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Prem squads 2017/18 season

The problem with Slade is what is he? their's 3 Chiefs fans in this thread, one says 15, another 12 and I say 10 and Eddie Jones played him at 13 against Argentina, he needs to pick a position and train for that position..
Personally I think that his natural position is at 12. However with Devoto, Hill and Whitten all also being top class 12s, when Slade has the versatility to play elsewhere he just won't and shouldn't get game time at 12 for Chiefs which is why I think he should either move to FB or to another club. Personally I would have no real issue if he chose the latter.

Personally I think that his natural position is at 12. However with Devoto, Hill and Whitten all also being top class 12s, when Slade has the versatility to play elsewhere he just won't and shouldn't get game time at 12 for Chiefs which is why I think he should either move to FB or to another club. Personally I would have no real issue if he chose the latter.
What other club would he fit in with do you think? Bath maybe?

Bath seems to be the one that he's had some links with and that many people suggest. I think he'd do well there in a midfield with Burns and JJ so it's definitely one worth considering, however when is Tapuai's contract up? Because as it is I rate him more than Slade. Beyond Bath I think Tigers would be a good fit for him, they need some more 10/12 cover and Toomua's hardly ever fit so he'd get a good bit of game time. When's Toomua leaving?

Bath been rumoured for a while now, I think he'd do well there, could see Wasps having an interest if Cipriani moves to France next year...

Bath seems to be the one that he's had some links with and that many people suggest. I think he'd do well there in a midfield with Burns and JJ so it's definitely one worth considering, however when is Tapuai's contract up? Because as it is I rate him more than Slade. Beyond Bath I think Tigers would be a good fit for him, they need some more 10/12 cover and Toomua's hardly ever fit so he'd get a good bit of game time. When's Toomua leaving?
don't know, tigers would look for someone a bit more consistent than Slade I think with both Tuilagi and Tommoua constantly injured

Slade can come to Quins if likes! I'd much rather see him at 12 than Roberts! If he really wants to play 10, we can give him that opportunity too.

Not sure he wants to leave Devon though?

Terrible idea for him to move clubs. 100% a 12 as best position but also is a decent 10. Used to play 13 but tbh only used as 13 in argentina because of lack of other options and he has experience.

Slade 10 12 13
Whitten 12 13 11 14
Hill 12 13
Devoto 12 (10 in emergancy only)
All young players except whitten.
Last season would have gone alot different if slade wasnt there. He is a class player and though he could do a shift at FB with a great boot out of hand but compared to dollmen and turner hes off pace. But i rate him as our best 12. With devoto second . Hill and whitten better at 13.

Switch slade between 10 12 and 22 same as steeno and devoto. Such a long season having a player like slade at 10 12 or 22 is useful as is devoto and steenson
. Steenson can speed up a game off the bench.

Slade can bring the 13 and wings in the game at 12 off the bench or pass as injury cover for steenson or start at 10 then move to 12.

Devoto can add physicality and ball carrying to the game.
Them 3 at 10 12 and 22 all can impact a game. Chiefs need slade IMO.

I know all wont agree and he can still improve his game at 10 and 12 but chiefs wont get rid of him.

Side point scrum halfs a tough one now. Young maunder and townsend. Reliable chudley amd international nic white. Young lads need experience. Townsend omd so young but played and started in prem finals and maunder in argentina off the bemch to have a hand in setting up solomona try. But see what happens

Cant wait to see how chiefs get on next season hopfully a better start this time around.

I don't understand how anyone can rate Slade over Devoto anymore.

Devoto has more power good ball handling and has been a brilliant signing

But for me slade has much better ball handling, kicking out of hand (semi v sarries comes to mind) nit has powerful but i think is a much better all round player

Thats just my opinion though, take it your a fellow chiefs fan then toby :) what you think of the other signings?

Devoto has more power good ball handling and has been a brilliant signing

But for me slade has much better ball handling, kicking out of hand (semi v sarries comes to mind) nit has powerful but i think is a much better all round player

Thats just my opinion though, take it your a fellow chiefs fan then toby :) what you think of the other signings?
I am indeed a fellow Chiefs fan. On Devoto vs Slade, I just find Devoto to be a far more reliable player. I ca t remember a time when he's done poorly for us whereas I think Slade is often guilty of making errors while trying to force a play. Devoto' kicking isn't as good but it is still good, and I think his ability to crash the ball up the gain line out weighs his inferior kicking game. Personally I rate Devoto far more than Slade but it is a tight call.

On our other signings the one that really baffles me is Nic White. Townsend and Maunder have both been excellent finds and Chudley too is a very good 9. I don't see the benefit in stumping the development of Maunder and Townsend to play White. Does not make sense to me.

I think Kvesic will find new life at Chiefs as many players do.

Tigers will make at least 2 more backs signings most likely 3.

Told a few names i expect 2 players who are mostly Back 3 and maybe one centre.

This is to go on top of the squad signings of Gareth Owen (Scarlet utility back) and Nick Malouf (Aus 7's)

Tigers will make at least 2 more backs signings most likely 3.

Told a few names i expect 2 players who are mostly Back 3 and maybe one centre.

This is to go on top of the squad signings of Gareth Owen (Scarlet utility back) and Nick Malouf (Aus 7's)

According to TRP, they need to sell/release before they can buy. They're being linked with Cyle Brink from the Lions but only if McCaffrey leaves.

How do you feel about the signings so far? From an outsider's point of view, they're pretty uninspiring ... You're not poaching Quins' head of player recruitment are you?

According to TRP, they need to sell/release before they can buy. They're being linked with Cyle Brink from the Lions but only if McCaffrey leaves.

How do you feel about the signings so far? From an outsider's point of view, they're pretty uninspiring ... You're not poaching Quins' head of player recruitment are you?

Depends what you hear, I have heard a few exciting names in the woodwork guess it depends which season we get them.

George Ford - Hopefully we get Argentina George Ford which i think we will.
Dominic Ryan - MOC clearly likes him and sounds like he will add more bite to our back row.
Sione Kalamafoni - Depends which season model we get he was good behind a crap glous tight five from what i can remember.
Jonah Holmes - I'm excited to see how he plays 37 tries in 65 games in the championship is a hell of a ratio considering he wasn't on a dominant team so to speak.
Joe Ford - Is what it is, but who knows maybe having someone like Youngs/Harrison passing to him and having a midfield of potentially Toomua and Manu (I can dream) he might surpise some.
Gareth Owen - meh, covers alot of positions i guess.
Nick Malouf - Interesting project signing for me

It's a mix bag but alot of the signings currently made (Other than George and Ryan) have been salary cap moves, so cheap players to make cap for a bigger signing.

That's a fair analysis. However, with the exception of Ford, I don't think any of the others are much of an upgrade (if at all) on what you already had.

I've not seen Holmes play, but his try-scoring record is very good and by all accounts he is rapid.

Who are the exciting names?

I am indeed a fellow Chiefs fan. On Devoto vs Slade, I just find Devoto to be a far more reliable player. I ca t remember a time when he's done poorly for us whereas I think Slade is often guilty of making errors while trying to force a play. Devoto' kicking isn't as good but it is still good, and I think his ability to crash the ball up the gain line out weighs his inferior kicking game. Personally I rate Devoto far more than Slade but it is a tight call.

On our other signings the one that really baffles me is Nic White. Townsend and Maunder have both been excellent finds and Chudley too is a very good 9. I don't see the benefit in stumping the development of Maunder and Townsend to play White. Does not make sense to me.

I think Kvesic will find new life at Chiefs as many players do.

All fair points you arnt wrong tbh but we will agree to disagree.
Nic white there for one season may be beneficial to all 3 others as he is a class player but they need game time and not just from the bench or lv cup.

Kvesic baxter better work his magic like with short devoto woodburn ect.

Sione Kalamafoni - Depends which season model we get he was good behind a crap glous tight five from what i can remember.
Kalamafoni is class and only lost his starting place in the last year because Moriarty had the kind of season where you go from Wales hopeful to knocking on the door of the Lions test team. Even then, if Kalamafoni were English, I suspect he may have been starting ahead of Morgan. I think you have a good player on your hands.

Joe Ford is really underrated, mainly because he's not as good as his little brother.
I was disappointed to see him leave Sale, and I'd happily take him back now. He'll do well at Tigers.

A bit sceptical about the salary cap and how much it is being adhered to at the moment, Sarries seem to always be spending a lot as do Tigers... maybe its just poor recruitment from quins, but Sarries are in a lot of debt that the RFU should probably have stopped by tightenting the cap

A bit sceptical about the salary cap and how much it is being adhered to at the moment, Sarries seem to always be spending a lot as do Tigers... maybe its just poor recruitment from quins, but Sarries are in a lot of debt that the RFU should probably have stopped by tightenting the cap

What do you mean so do Tigers?
I bet our outgoing list looks alot better than our incoming list in recent season.
We tend to have the highest outgoings when it comes to players, hence why we look to be one of the biggest spenders come end of season.

I mean in one season didn't Quins sign Adam Jones, James Horwill, Visser and Jamie Roberts?

Latest posts