• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Prem squads 2017/18 season

Where we currently stand:
I've had to guess at a number of positions as we've got a lot of players who play in several spots (two new props play both sides, for example), so I'm guessing where they'll be used:

1. Harrison, Flynn, John, Lewis-Roberts(?)**
2. Webber, Jones, Neild
3. Aulika, Longbottom, Tarus, Parker
4/5. Evans, Ostrikov, Beaumont, Nott
6. Ross, Ioane
7. Curry, Curry, Seymour
8. Strauss, Pearce
9. de Clerk, Cliff
10. O'Connor, MacGinty
11. Charnley, Odogwu, Edwards
12. James, Jennings
13. Addison, Leota
14. Solomona
15. Haley, McGuigan

**No one seems to know if he's retired or not. When his season-ending injury was announced it was said that he was retiring at the end of the season, but there's been no mention of it since and he wasn't in the list of leavers.

Pretty happy with how it's shaping up. As with every other season, though, 2nd row needs recruitment as a matter of urgency. Nott and Beaumont look far better in the backrow (though both want to play in the 2nd). A big brute of a player is needed. Apparently we're in talks with a couple atm.
Wouldn't mind seeing another 9, however Connor Dever, in the academy, is supposed to be decent, and with neither 9 missing for internationals and us not in top tier Europe we can probably get away with our 3rd choice being academy.
Tarus and John play both sides of the scrum so I'm guessing at those positions (mainly because Tarus is playing 3 internationally for Romania, so I don't think we'd move him away from that). Not the strongest looking, tbh. We've recruited from the lower leagues/tier 2 there. Harrison/Webber/Aulika on form is a solid prem front row, but the drop off beyond that is pretty stark. Also emphasises the need for a big unit in the second row to help out in the scrum.
Back row is really strong, like crazily so.
Back unit, in general, I really like. Hopefully our 9/10 combos can hit the ground running because we've got some really talented players in the backs. Really looking forward to seeing James and Addison playing together, they looked really good before Addison's injury.

Quins updated ...

1. Marler / Lambert / Boyce / Holenstein
2. Buchanan / Gray / Elia
3. Sinckler / Collier / Swainston / McNulty / A. Jones
4. Horwill / Twomey (Reddish?)
5. Merrick / Matthews
6. Robshaw / J. Chisholm
7. Wallace / Ward* / Hodson?
8. Clifford / Luamanu / Bothma
9. Care / Mulchrone / Lewis
10. Catrakilis / Swiel / Jackson
11. Visser / Alofa
12. Roberts / Sloan / Stanley
13. Marchant / Saili / Lowe
14. Yarde / Walker
15. Brown / Morris / J. Chisholm

*Ward is almost exclusively used at 7 these days.

Reddish barely played last season and is rumoured to be retiring now ... no news on this?

No-one seems to know what's happening with Lowe and Sloan's injuries so no update there.

Academy promotions haven't been confirmed AFAIK? I'd assume Aspland-Robinson (post injury) and South as well as possibly Archie White?

I don't think Mikalcius is coming back from Hartpury now?
Would prefer to see Roberts dropped in favour of saili at 12

Ibitoye a likley promotion form the academy i think

Where we currently stand:
I've had to guess at a number of positions as we've got a lot of players who play in several spots (two new props play both sides, for example), so I'm guessing where they'll be used:

1. Harrison, Flynn, John, Lewis-Roberts(?)**
2. Webber, Jones, Neild
3. Aulika, Longbottom, Tarus, Parker
4/5. Evans, Ostrikov, Beaumont, Nott
6. Ross, Ioane
7. Curry, Curry, Seymour
8. Strauss, Pearce
9. de Clerk, Cliff
10. O'Connor, MacGinty
11. Charnley, Odogwu, Edwards
12. James, Jennings
13. Addison, Leota
14. Solomona
15. Haley, McGuigan

**No one seems to know if he's retired or not. When his season-ending injury was announced it was said that he was retiring at the end of the season, but there's been no mention of it since and he wasn't in the list of leavers.

Pretty happy with how it's shaping up. As with every other season, though, 2nd row needs recruitment as a matter of urgency. Nott and Beaumont look far better in the backrow (though both want to play in the 2nd). A big brute of a player is needed. Apparently we're in talks with a couple atm.
Wouldn't mind seeing another 9, however Connor Dever, in the academy, is supposed to be decent, and with neither 9 missing for internationals and us not in top tier Europe we can probably get away with our 3rd choice being academy.
Tarus and John play both sides of the scrum so I'm guessing at those positions (mainly because Tarus is playing 3 internationally for Romania, so I don't think we'd move him away from that). Not the strongest looking, tbh. We've recruited from the lower leagues/tier 2 there. Harrison/Webber/Aulika on form is a solid prem front row, but the drop off beyond that is pretty stark. Also emphasises the need for a big unit in the second row to help out in the scrum.
Back row is really strong, like crazily so.
Back unit, in general, I really like. Hopefully our 9/10 combos can hit the ground running because we've got some really talented players in the backs. Really looking forward to seeing James and Addison playing together, they looked really good before Addison's injury.

I knew lock was light at Sale, but I hadn't fully appreciated how light. You basically need Beaumont and Nott as lock cover.

I see you've been linked with Grobler. Any other rumours?

A Fijian whose name I can't remember is the other name I've heard.
Beaumont and Nott have always been viewed as locks long term, Just given time in the backrow as they bulk up. Issue was that they've excelled there and not really bulked up. As you say, it's now a case of "we need you there" rather than "when you're ready".
Multiple backrow signings kind of confirm their moves to the 2nd row though.

A Fijian whose name I can't remember is the other name I've heard.
Beaumont and Nott have always been viewed as locks long term, Just given time in the backrow as they bulk up. Issue was that they've excelled there and not really bulked up. As you say, it's now a case of "we need you there" rather than "when you're ready".
Multiple backrow signings kind of confirm their moves to the 2nd row though.
Looking at your squad IF de Klerk and O'Connor click at 9 & 10 and IF Charnley nails it then that's as strong a set of backs as anyone in the prem IMO....

I'm hoping a full preseason see's Charnley make some drastic improvements (he basically went straight from a full SL season + playoffs and finals right into playing for us), if he doesn't then I really hope Odogwu gets a proper shot, he was excellent last season. McGuigan finished the season really strongly, as well. Some decent competition in the back three, especially as JOC has played a large amount of his rugby there so could end up playing a bit there if we keep AJ at 10 (Dimes is a fan of his, and he was really really good the last couple of rounds of AP).

Mark Reddish's retirement has been confirmed by Quins so we're almost as light as Sale when it comes to locks ...

Always sad to see a player forced to retire. We really didn't see much of Reddish, let alone the best of him.

I hope Kingston comes up with someone decent.

Mark Reddish's retirement has been confirmed by Quins so we're almost as light as Sale when it comes to locks ...

Always sad to see a player forced to retire. We really didn't see much of Reddish, let alone the best of him.

I hope Kingston comes up with someone decent.
Mathews, Merrick, twomey, horwill and i think luamanu can cover as well

Horwill is very good and Merrick and Twomey are decent but Matthews is deeply average and even if he is capable of covering, Luamanu isn't a lock.

We have Stan South coming through, but we must have room in the cap and I still feel as though we'd really benefit from another test quality lock. I'd love Nakarawa, who would be an amazing fit for Quins but there's fat chance of that happening.

Rob Simmons would be a good/realistic shout given his contract isn't being renewed with the Reds.

Horwill is very good and Merrick and Twomey are decent but Matthews is deeply average and even if he is capable of covering, Luamanu isn't a lock.

We have Stan South coming through, but we must have room in the cap and I still feel as though we'd really benefit from another test quality lock. I'd love Nakarawa, who would be an amazing fit for Quins but there's fat chance of that happening.

Rob Simmons would be a good/realistic shout given his contract isn't being renewed with the Reds.
Lood De Jager possibly? Still looking for a move north I believe. Thought Rob Simmons to Chiefs was as good as done.

I've heard Simmons Iinked with Exeter too, but it definitely hasn't been confirmed.

The annoying thing (as per usual) from a Quins perspective is that we've known it was looking touch and go with Reddish for months, yet we don't seem to have put any contingency plans in place.

Tarus should be kept at tight-head as he's natural there, even if he could play on both sides of the scrum; You don't have to worry with him playing for Beziers/Romania, he did very well vs Georgian props and he's also pretty good in the loose. He played professionally for his entire career.

Sharks should look good next season with likes of De Klerk or O'Connor and I'd keep the former at fullback, he's a slick runner from back three but I don't think he have what it takes to be a world class fly-half.

Tarus should be kept at tight-head as he's natural there, even if he could play on both sides of the scrum; You don't have to worry with him playing for Beziers/Romania, he did very well vs Georgian props and he's also pretty good in the loose. He played professionally for his entire career.

Sharks should look good next season with likes of De Klerk or O'Connor and I'd keep the former at fullback, he's a slick runner from back three but I don't think he have what it takes to be a world class fly-half.

The Sharks back line next season could well be the best in the Prem:
9. De Klerk
10. MacGinty
11. Odogwu
12. O'Connor
13. James
14. Solomona
15. Haley

I've heard Simmons Iinked with Exeter too, but it definitely hasn't been confirmed.

The annoying thing (as per usual) from a Quins perspective is that we've known it was looking touch and go with Reddish for months, yet we don't seem to have put any contingency plans in place.
I think we are probably looking to the academy as per, which I dont think is a bad thing as it means we are probably one of the only clubs not drowning in debt (Sarries). I maintain that we have the best academy in Europe and I feel like I would prefer to wait for 5 years and win the Prem off of home grown talent rather than buying our way to the top (wasps/sarries)

The Sharks back line next season could well be the best in the Prem:
9. De Klerk
10. MacGinty
11. Odogwu
12. O'Connor
13. James
14. Solomona
15. Haley
I am intensely biased, but I think Wasps, Sarries, Quins and Leiceter all take that-
Quins could line up:
9. Care - England regular
10. Swiel
11. Visser - Scotland Regular
12. Roberts/Sailai - British And Irish Lions/All Black
13. Marchant - EPS member
14. Yarde - England player
15. Brown - England Regular

I am intensely biased, but I think Wasps, Sarries, Quins and Leiceter all take that-
Quins could line up:
9. Care - England regular
10. Swiel
11. Visser - Scotland Regular
12. Roberts/Sailai - British And Irish Lions/All Black
13. Marchant - EPS member
14. Yarde - England player
15. Brown - England Regular
I'd argue differently:
9. Care - Still and England regular but would say he's got nothing on De Klerk
10. Swiel - Not got much much to say on him really. Wouldn't say he's much better or worse than MacGinty.
11. Visser - Yeah he's better than Odogwu
12. Roberts - Far past his prime while O'Conner, although not in his best form is still an incredibly talented player and I think he'll be revived at Sale where he'll get regular game time in his favoured position. I think JOC wins this.
13. Marchant - Yeah he's better than James
14. Yarde - Neither he nor Solomona can defend but Solomona offers far more in attack. Clear winner in Denny IMO
15. Brown - Brown hasn't shown good form in a Quins shirt for years. He is currently better than Haley but Haley could easily overtake.

Sale's dominance within the inside backs means that they'll create more chances for the rest of their team and I think will go on to have a better back line than Quins this season.

9) Youngs
10) Ford
11) Thompstone
12) Toomua
13) manu
14) Holmes
15) Veainu

Just need a starting wing/full back and if all fully fit that is a scary backline.

Latest posts