• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership 21/22 Fixtures

Might not apply to the other nations, but just seen that the Lions rest period for England players is a mandatory 10 weeks from the end of the 3rd test regardless of how much each player has featured. That runs up to mid October.

That seems like a very long rest for any players who haven't been in the test sides. Obviously some could play next week, but a lot of that will depend on how today's game goes. If the Boks come back to level the series, I think it's unlikely players who have yet to feature in the test 23s will be drafted in.

I know these players have had no break whatsoever, but it does seem strange that a player with 80mins vs. one of the provincial sides weeks ago has the same rest period as the players who will feature in all three test matches.

You'd have to think this will be costly for a number of Premiership sides.

Bath: Faletau, Watson
Bristol: Sinckler
Exeter: Cowan-Dickie, Hill, Hogg, Simmonds
Gloucester: Harris, Rees-Zammit
Harlequins: Smith
Leicester: van Staden, Wiese
Northampton: Biggar, Lawes
Sale: Curry, de Jager, de Klerk (not sure about the du Preez twins and Oosthuizen?)
Saracens: Daly, Farrell, George, Itoje, Koch, Vunipola
Worcester: van der Merwe, Sutherland

I think that's everyone? Saracens, Exeter and Sale are hit hard as well as potentially Sale (not sure if the du Preez boys are already at home?). Given the AIs and the Rugby Championship will be starting hot on the heels of the rest period, it's going to be a weird season.

From a Quins POV starting a ***le defence without our most important player is a big deal, but Allan is a good player and if he settles quickly, we're actually one of the least affected.

Similarly, Bristol and Leicester in particular might be looking at this and thinking it's a great opportunity to get off to a strong start.
Finally our lack of quality/cutting edge and therefore no significant tour picks comes into play.... oh wait... Odogwu, J Willis and Launchbury are all injured.

Latest posts