• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 19/20 - Rd 16

Also lol at BT Sports' stats. 'Lawrence Dallaglio only lost 5 of 18 games against Saints for Wasps.' Only? That's nearly a third. Yes it's a good win ratio, but only lost 5 games feels like making it a bigger achievement than it is.

Considering how many England training camps he's been to you'd think his game IQ would be a bit better :p

This, considering he was apparently being eyed up as an England 12, he's not even performing well as a club 12.

That pass was absolutely miles forward. As a player who definitely should be getting an England look in though is Mercer. GAPING hole in the Saints defence there and no Bath players could see it. was about a 5m gap between 2 of the Saints defenders. Aaaand Redpath messing up again.

Whilst all that his true. He's also 20 years old, making his 5th premiership start.
He is firmly in the "potential" not "finished article" camp.
He was alsompretty goodnin then first 2 matches.

Try for TDG - I thought he dropped it short, but was wrong, feet are way inside.

Oh, and that second tackle on Tom - should be a penalty from the centre spot to restart and a yellow.
I do really hate that foul tackles are completely ignored in the last meter. No **** he gets an HIA

Last edited:
He's also 20 years old
So is our Lord and Saviour Luke James - they were in the same academy year - and he's made over 50 senior appearances for Sale now,
I'll follow Redpath's career with interest but considering our track record of rewarding young talent with game time...something is off there

Mercer looking great, tough pick between him and Dombrandt but he's definitely the stronger of the two since lockdown

Inevitably EJ will pick Lawes there or something, though - or Binny, because he missed the 6N so doesn't need the rest

Match of whoever makes the least mistakes or takes the chances when the opposition do. Bath winning this battle.

So is our Lord and Saviour Luke James - they were in the same academy year - and he's made over 50 senior appearances for Sale now,
I'll follow Redpath's career with interest but considering our track record of rewarding young talent with game time...something is off there
You can use that when I criticise Luke James for making the standard mistakes of youth.
Oh, and 50 is a lot more experience than 15 for Cam. None of that makes Redpath any older or more experienced.

Youth gets cut some slack for making the mistakes of youth, sorry that upsets you.

Saints are rattled, but I'm really not sure why.
Uh Oh, 3rd HIA for Bath, and the cramping player comes back on

Last edited:
You can use that when I criticise Luke James for making the standard mistakes of youth.
Oh, and 50 is a lot more experience than 13 for Cam.

Youth gets cut some slack for making the mistakes of youth, sorry that offends you.

Saints are rattled, but I'm really not sure why

I don't have a problem with him making mistakes as such, more the currently undeserved claims of the sort of 12 he can be. Currently there is nothing to show any merit to the claims.

Saints inability to finish in the 22 has really saved us.

Bath player rolled into the incoming Saints player and tripped him there, preventing the clearout. Lucky to get away with that.

I don't have a problem with him making mistakes as such, more the currently undeserved claims of the sort of 12 he can be. Currently there is nothing to show any merit to the claims.

Saints inability to finish in the 22 has really saved us.
The only claims I saw as to "the sort of 12 he can be" was criticism that he's having a bad day today. Unless you count "he's young and inexperienced" as a comment about the sort of 12 he might become.

If you want a general discussion about a player in a way that has nothing to do with this match or this thread, then that's fine.
I'm not sure thisnis the thread for that.

God I hope we actually look at Spencer in an England shirt now - the Youngs/Heinz duo has surely run its course
It's early days, but he's shown for Bath what I hopped he would 4 years ago.
The last 4 years have left me way less impressed, and I really wasn't expecting this from him.

4 points for Bath, in a match I thought we'd need luck to go away with 1.
Scrappy, but I'm happy with that.

The last 4 years have left me way less impressed, and I really wasn't expecting this from him.
Ah, for real?
I'm an unashamed fanboy but I think he's been the best EQP 9 for a while (that's a reasonably low bar though!)
Spencer and Robson should have been our 9/21 for a couple years now

Spencer's mistake was staying at Saracens expecting Wigglesworth to retire. If he'd left a few years and been first choice elsewhere, I think there's a good chance he'd have leapfrogged Youngs. I hope Nigel bought him a massive house.

I was a major fanboy, but felt that he should have left Sarries about 5 years ago in order to kick on. I then felt he stagnated and never reached his potential.
Quite possibly still the best English SH, but not as good as he should have been, and as you say, that's a very low bar.

AKA - what BPM said whilst I was typing

Last edited:

Latest posts