• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 2018/19 Round 6

Marchant try was insane, seen so many bouncing off the posts but never held up in the wind and scored, my question ref was asking if he caught it over the line or not? Whats the rule on that?

Cares intercept was brilliant too.

people say billy is is one dimensional but his workrate today was so impressive and he carries hard, if he can stay.fit England really need him. He deserved MOTM today.

Yeah - that was a nice complete performance from Billy. He popped up with a good turnover (possibly two?) and did everything well, not just the carrying. Nice bit of sportsmanship too.

Yeah - that was a nice complete performance from Billy. He popped up with a good turnover (possibly two?) and did everything well, not just the carrying. Nice bit of sportsmanship too.
100% agree, could have spent another few min with 'try yes or no' and Billy knew it wouldn't get given so was eager to carry on, no messing about. Got alot of respect for that in the current game. Even though Farrell seemed annoyed that it wasnt being checked.

Worcester look like they're feeling the pressure. They know Bristol aren't just going to lie down and be relegated and they could well take their place.

Decent game so far, both sides playing decent rugby

edit: I take back the "both sides" comment - Worcester are absolutely smashing them!

Last edited:
How unfortunate that one of the Bristol players sounds like urine

That same try line defence that worcester showed against Sale. But now they've upped attack, good to see adams stepping it up and showing form.

Any idea when Charles Piatau's going to be fit? seems after 6 rounds it will be as you were at the top with maybe 4th place to play for, so the relegation dog fight is where it's at, who's going down?

No need to take the pi$$.

Good performance from Worcester coinciding with a very poor outing for Bristol. That was a big reality check.

So the GP now hibernates until 17th November and the first 2 rounds when it resumes will be missing internationals due to the AIs. All perfectly logical.

Quite a common name in my neck of the woods. Pronounced the Cornish way, it doesn't sound anywhere near as much like a bodily fluid as when one of yesterday's commentators said it (Healey in particular IIRC). I'm not sure I know enough about phonetics to explain it clearly, but on reflection, I don't see why anyone would pronounce the "ren" anything other than as it's written unless they're taking the ****!

So the GP now hibernates until 17th November and the first 2 rounds when it resumes will be missing internationals due to the AIs. All perfectly logical.
It is ridiculous that the top domestic competition in England loses its best players for so many weeks. It is about time that this mess was sorted out. Less domestic games, but with all the players playing would generate far more income through the gates.

It is ridiculous that the top domestic competition in England loses its best players for so many weeks. It is about time that this mess was sorted out. Less domestic games, but with all the players playing would generate far more income through the gates.
Here here; whilst also improving player welfare and increasing the quality of the championship

Something needs to be down but I'm not sure the GP should be the target.

Potential workload for an international at a top club:

- 24 GP games if getting to the play off final. Of those a few will clash with internationals so he'll maybe be available for 19 absolute max.

- Europe. Minimum of 6 games, maximum of 9 if reach the final.

- Internationals. Take this year - 5 6N + 3 summer tour + 4 AI = 12

So even if a player plays in all available club games that's 19 + 9 = 28 (and most won't get near that) against 12 internationals. Effectively meaning that at least one in three games played is an international - that's what's badly out of kilter. That's just in game time, then there's the added time in camp for internationals and all the associated pressures. And that's before the extra demands of RWC and Lions years.

Even if you don't like that logic, the pattern's clear. Farrell's played 65 internationals vs 157 times for Sarries. Hartley has 93 caps against 256 club games. And if you want a really daft example, McCaw played more for the ABs than he did for the Crusaders.

No idea what the answer is but scrapping summer tours and reducing AIs wouldn't be a bad start. Wouldn't mind Europe being a straight knock out either - there are way too many meaningless games. But the money men really wouldn't like it........

IMO you need to look at both. Scrapping the summer tours and reducing the AIs is only suggested by those who are club exclusive, and not even club > country. Bankrupting the international game is not going to solve anything at all.
Keep summer and AI matches down to the 3 they're supposed to be, and condense the 6N into a 7 week window is all the international game really needs.
Reduce the Prem to 10 teams; add an pay-off spot between Prem and Champ; expand the domestic cup competition to include the Prem and the Champ; tinker with the funding distribution and TV deals to promote the Champ, meaning that relegation isn't potentially club-killing.
If we can get all that, then and only then am I willing to consider the prospect of ringfencing the Champ-ND1 cut-off.

https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/england-need-a-limit-to-playing-time.41140/page-3#post-895181

But then, we've discussed this before - you favour a tactic that will put an end to professional rugby whilst bankrupting the grass-roots.
I favour one that will significantly improve England's chances of sitting in the top 3 whilst having a vibrant domestic scene and looking after player's health.

Keep summer and AI matches down to the 3 they're supposed to be, and condense the 6N into a 7 week window is all the international game really needs.
Reduce the Prem to 10 teams; add an pay-off spot between Prem and Champ; expand the domestic cup competition to include the Prem and the Champ; tinker with the funding distribution and TV deals to promote the Champ, meaning that relegation isn't potentially club-killing.
If we can get all that, then and only then am I willing to consider the prospect of ringfencing the Champ-ND1 cut-off.

Bit of a Freudian slip there

Still think the Bruce Craig plan is sensible. Separate the International games from the domestic games.
I would get the 6N to move to late summer, (sacralise I know) in exchange for less club rugby and played from November to Early June.
Internationals played in one block of 14 weeks, scrap tours in favour of mini events over 8 weeks on a four year rota including RWC.
2024 Regional champs (European champs)
2025 Lions
2026 Champions Trophy (set of matches played between regional winners, etc.)
2027 RWC

The 6N should be played before these and reduced to 6 weeks. Maximum matches played by any team would be 11. A reduction of 1 match.

Domestic rugby reduced to 17 weeks regular season, plus up to 5 play offs, reduction in England of 2 league and 7 cup.
European cup 4 groups of 5 play home or away, over 5 weeks at of season, and 4 weeks play offs.

Latest posts