• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Prestwick slips away

B

Bullitt

Aircraft slides off end of runway

The runway at Prestwick Airport in the west of Scotland has reopened after a plane skidded on to the grass verge.

The Ryanair flight from Dublin had just touched down before 0900 GMT when it slid on ice while taxiing towards the terminal building.

Knowing Ryanair the plane didn't have brakes. They were probably an optinal extra that was declined in the interest of keeping costs low.

The thing is, airports on the continent that get far more frequent snowfall than we do seem to function alright. I've been on planes that had to be sprayed with a de-icing fluid to remove the snow before they could take off but the Runways didn't have any problems even with 2ft of snow on each side of them.

europe-europe-south-america-stupid-demotivational-poster-1210049014.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Dec 23 2009, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The thing is, airports on the continent that get far more frequent snowfall than we do seem to function alright. I've been on planes that had to be sprayed with a de-icing fluid to remove the snow before they could take off but the Runways didn't have any problems even with 2ft of snow on each side of them.[/b]

Are any of those airports colder than Scotland though?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 26 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Dec 23 2009, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing is, airports on the continent that get far more frequent snowfall than we do seem to function alright. I've been on planes that had to be sprayed with a de-icing fluid to remove the snow before they could take off but the Runways didn't have any problems even with 2ft of snow on each side of them.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I would think that any Scandinavian or eastern European airport are, yes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 26 2009, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Dec 23 2009, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Munich, Stuttgart and Zurich in mid February are.

Latest posts