• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro 12 looking at London Welsh and London Scottish joining

stus768

Bench Player
Anyone else read this in the rugby paper.

Suggested it was only very preliminary talks but pro 12 are keen on London market.

I vaguely remember a story from last year about the two clubs considering joining the Pro 12.

That's one that will come up until it finally happens, imo. I both hate and love the idea.

Would either be good enough?
I'd be in favour as I'd imagine both would be financially good and have potential to attract guys to improve league

Pro14? Bad idea? Nah, bad you.

It would be possibly instead of the Italians who have been given a 30 day deadline to cough up their bills. Only been discussed very informally at this point in relation to the Italians not paying up owed money, so a long way from actually happening.

Pro14? Bad idea? Nah, bad you.

It actually is possible. Maybe combine Italians to 1 team as they're struggling to finance 2 teams. And a 13 team league wit a rest week is possible. Certainly would be worth the brain storming.

i love the idea as a concept but to have all three exile teams functioning as proper exile teams (not being the not nots)

but the feasible strength of the teams and the fiscal clout of the teams? not sure it would benefit the league

It would be possibly instead of the Italians who have been given a 30 day deadline to cough up their bills. Only been discussed very informally at this point in relation to the Italians not paying up owed money, so a long way from actually happening.

Rumour has it they are in a very bad way.

Would either be good enough?
Very hard to say.
When Welsh came up the first time they surprised a lot of people, and made a good showing of themselves (they did implode a bit later on, especially with the points deduction) - they cruised through their next stint in the Championship and came straight back up........only to get absolutely creamed in every single game.
Scottish have had a decent enough season in the Championship but are unlikely to make the finals.

Realistically you'd be gaining two new Zebres. If one, or both, can get their act together then maybe they'd turn into a Treviso, but who knows. No relegation would help them settle and build, though.

Very hard to say.
When Welsh came up the first time they surprised a lot of people, and made a good showing of themselves (they did implode a bit later on, especially with the points deduction) - they cruised through their next stint in the Championship and came straight back up........only to get absolutely creamed in every single game.
Scottish have had a decent enough season in the Championship but are unlikely to make the finals.

Realistically you'd be gaining two new Zebres. If one, or both, can get their act together then maybe they'd turn into a Treviso, but who knows. No relegation would help them settle and build, though.

But surely (and I may be wrong) their finances would be better than Zebre and it'd be easier to attract a guy to London as opposed to Italy.
I'd also wonder what'd happen with European qualification etc.
the reason I expect both to be more better financially is surely all the Irish, Scots and Welsh living in London would be more encouraged to attend and follow these in Pro12 as they would in English leagues.

Doubt it - London Welsh's backer recently quit (or announced he is at the end of the season?).
Rugby is a money pit, you need a certain type of crazy to want to fund a side, especially one that will be unsuccessful, in terms of fanbase and results, for at least a number of years.

Will hardly improve the standard, I cannot think of any Pro 12 side that could not stuff LW and as someone else just said what about qualification in Europe? Will there be a place in the HC for an Exile side? London Welsh playing Toulon? going to be messy.

Will hardly improve the standard, I cannot think of any Pro 12 side that could not stuff LW and as someone else just said what about qualification in Europe? Will there be a place in the HC for an Exile side? London Welsh playing Toulon? going to be messy.
It does make sense if the Italian teams die and considering they're equally as bad as Scottish and Welsh it makes little difference apart from Welsh and Scottish being in a position to attract better players throughout Britain and the SH than the Italian sides. I'd hope that they don't get an automatic European spot considering the league will probably lose a spot with the Italians leaving, I'd imagine they'd act as a Welsh and Scottish club in terms of qualifying.

I'd back both Treviso and Zebre to get 10pts a season from both Welsh and Scottish.

Have you seen London Welsh play this year?
Genuine question, not being snarky. I've genuinely never seen such a terrible side in the top flight.

I don't think there's any way the Pro 12 can expand without getting that. You simply have to hope that they expand well with Union backing.

There are some really obvious benefits to Pro 12 franchises in London, so maybe they would - that's part of why I love the idea.

I don't think there's any way the Pro 12 can expand without getting that. You simply have to hope that they expand well with Union backing.

There are some really obvious benefits to Pro 12 franchises in London, so maybe they would - that's part of why I love the idea.

Welsh are in Oxford not London and I'm not sure Oxford is brimming with a Welsh expat population. Scottish would be a way of the Scots having that third pro team everyone seems to think is a good idea but they would have to invest in it. Currently both sides are 2nd tier at best.

Latest posts