• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro 12 Round 19

Ball held up = Five metre try to attacking team = End of game if no time for the scrum

I couldn't believe it, I was watching a movie and decided to see what else was on and Boom, 'Ulster Rugby Live'.
Completely forgot about it, just flicked on to see the game from the 70th minute.

Havent seen the highlights but it must have been a cracking game, I'm very happy with the result.

As for the best team in Ireland - no I think Leinster are still the superior squad, however currently on form we are better.

Lets just hope the Munster boys can catch up ;).

Dragons home - win
Connacht away - depends on team, 50-50
Cardiff Blues home - win
We've probably got the easiest run in as the pundits were saying, I just hope there's no injuries after this game for the Saracens match.

Edit: I saw Hagan binding on the arm at end, he always ****ing does that, was he doing that the whole time?

Thanks for clearing that up, although it seems like an odd rule.

No worries - and it's no different to any other unplayable ruck really, scrum to attacking team.

UlsterRugby, there's highlights on the beeb site but if you watched from the 70th minute, you've seen most of what's there! Worth seeing the tries though.

Nearly every tighthead does it and Lutton did it on a number of occaisions. Hagan did it a few times yeah.

however lutton was good in the first half. could the makings of a nice back up/ squad tighthead prop

Overstating it some.

Healy 5+3 Strauss 5 Ross 5+3 Cullen 10+3 Toner 10+5 KmcL 10 O'Brien 4 Heaslip 7 Reddan 8 Sexton 6 Fitzgerald 3 D'Arcy 7 BOD 5 Nacewa 7+2 Kearney 3

Cronin 8+6 Bent 6+3 VdM 8+5 Roux 4 Jennings 12+1 Boss 8+5 Madigan 14+4 McFadden 9+1

Court 10+5 Best 3+1 Afoa 11+3 Muller 9 Tuohy 7+2 Ferris 3+1 Henry 6 Williams 10+2 Pienaar 8 Jackson 10+2 Trimble 13+1 Marshall 9+2 Cave 12+3 Bowe 3+1 Payne 10+1

Herring 10+6 Paddy Mac ZERO Fitzpatrick 5 Stevenson 11+2 Wilson 5+3 Marshall 9+6 Wallace 7+2 Gilroy 9+3

Three of our best players have missed as many games as virtually any of theirs. Henry and Pienaar have been both absent pretty regularly. Our starting locks have played less games, our replacement props have been less involved. We've had far more problems in the back row and front row, they've had more problems in the backs - I know where I'd prefer the weakness. I'd say 5 out of 5 of Leinster's most important players - Sexton, BOD, Healy, SOB, Heaslip/Kearney - have played less than 9 games. I'd say 4 out of 5 of Ulster's most important players - Best, Henry, Muller, Pienaar, Payne - have played less than 9 games. Both big blows.

We've certainly not had our strongest team out much - neither have they mind, but I doubt there's any appreciable difference. Stronger teams? On paper maybe, in reality choose for yourself which set of problems you'd prefer.

Whatever either team accomplishes this season will owe a lot to squad depth.
But factor in Ulster were playing strong teams in first 5/6 rounds when nobody was and if you look at table over last 5/6 games its pretty poor reading from Ulster point of view

As I said I'm not saying they're not best in Ireland but just nobody can judge on last night.
@Ulsterrugby: You crazy if you think Munster will catch up ha I think our main goal now is to try find a consistent and compatible game for next season and plan smartly with a bit of a clear out coming

Big win for Ulster! A loss there and that could have been the Heineken Cup out the window, but now they go into the game knowing they can beat top sides away from home. It's a great confidence boost and very well timed kick up the arse!

I wouldn't say Ulster are the best team in Ireland but what we have learned is this is the top derby in Irish rugby at the moment. I would say this game should be moved to the Aviva next season rather than the Munster game.

Ahhh George Clancy.

So unconvinced by him at times. There were two or three breakdown infringements very harsh last night - yet a couple of times the Leinstermen got away with murder. Some consistency please! [If I don't complain after a win, it'll be seen as sour grapes.]

Otherwise, a great, great performance by the fellas - I would have to say that is our most impressive performance of the season. Better than Northampton away, better than the various humpings we were handing out at the start of the year. To go from being so out-of-form to taking on the pumped up HEC champs and beating them in their back yard - ahead of the QF next week - is simply so massive in terms of our season it cannot be understated.

Oh and Reggie Corrigan talked more sense in 3 minutes than Bryn Cunningham and Ian McWourter did in 30.

Dunno why RTÉ or BBC don't use him as a pundit an awful lot more. [Bryn Cunningham ain't too bad - aside from his conflict of interest with cornerfleg.]

Oh and Reggie Corrigan talked more sense in 3 minutes than Bryn Cunningham and Ian McWourter did in 30.

Dunno why RTÉ or BBC don't use him as a pundit an awful lot more. [Bryn Cunningham ain't too bad - aside from his conflict of interest with cornerfleg.]
Reggie has been asked by RTE a few times but has a coaching role with Leinster and I think when your actively involved and try punditry it's a dangerous game walking on egg shells

Reggie has been asked by RTE a few times but has a coaching role with Leinster and I think when your actively involved and try punditry it's a dangerous game walking on egg shells

Fair enough.

Meanwhile, up here we've got two player agents doing commentary/punditry - unbelievable eh?

same here - Frankie Sheehan and well Fla trying to get in on that gig too.

Right enough - forgot about "my client" there. Thon man should be let nowhere near a tv studio.

Fla? Jirry? Sure does he not just worry about the pub and not agenting?

Right enough - forgot about "my client" there. Thon man should be let nowhere near a tv studio.

Fla? Jirry? Sure does he not just worry about the pub and not agenting?
Pub was his starter and he is trying to be an agent but has big shares in joe.ie and is in to web business too. He is an intelligent man when it comes to making cash.

I would say this game should be moved to the Aviva next season rather than the Munster game.
+1. Leinster v Munster in the Aviva has lost it's appeal.

Great win for Ulster. It'll act as a huge confidence booster for them ahead of next weekend and should act as a kick up the arse for Leinster ahead of their trip to Wasps.

Would agree too. I think fear at start was Ulster wouldn't bring enough support but I think they'd do better now and just to say Leinster are only allowed have 2 games in Aviva and it has nothing to do with better team. It's simply which fixture puts most bums in seats and cash in pockets.

I was in Belfast for the weekend. Fun. :rolleyes:

It's strange but that game has led me to believe that Leinster will win the Pro 12 this year, we were in a game that we never should have been in and only for bad officiating at the end we easily could have won it, although that would have been complete robbery, we did this with one of our worst possible centre pairings that gave Ulster so much go forward ball in the first half. Basically what I'm trying to say is that if Leinster meet Ulster in the semi-final or final I think Leinster would win whether we're in Belfast or Dublin.

O'Driscoll, D'Arcy, McFadden, Sexton and O'Brien back soon, I'm confident enough that we'll have an Amlin, if the team are bothered, and a Pro12.

Madigan had another good game, looked better than Jackson in every part of play apart from tactical kicking.

Heaslip looked good also apart from the first five minutes or so.

Last edited:
Hmmm.

Afoa, Bowe & Marshall of the Ulster first 15 to come back in. Add to that having half the team actually match fit and I wouldn't see there being much between them. It'd probably come down to the bounce of a ball, refereeing decision, slip of the foot, a slice of the boot - something small.

I don't see Leinsters strongest 15 (against Ulster's strongest 15) being guaranteed anything other than a very tough game in either in the RDS or in Ravenhill.

Ulster are definitely a different animal from last year - and - Leinster have went backwards from where they were last year.

Latest posts