• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro 12 Round 19

Noone can disagree the gap is extremely marginal whatever team is better but I think it great that all 3 (Yes I include Munster) are as competitive as any in Europe and I think it can only be great for Irish rugby. And while I think Munster are behind both but going in right direction

I was in Belfast for the weekend. Fun. :rolleyes:

It's strange but that game has led me to believe that Leinster will win the Pro 12 this year, we were in a game that we never should have been in and only for bad officiating at the end we easily could have won it, although that would have been complete robbery, we did this with one of our worst possible centre pairings that gave Ulster so much go forward ball in the first half. Basically what I'm trying to say is that if Leinster meet Ulster in the semi-final or final I think Leinster would win whether we're in Belfast or Dublin.

O'Driscoll, D'Arcy, McFadden, Sexton and O'Brien back soon, I'm confident enough that we'll have an Amlin, if the team are bothered, and a Pro12.

Madigan had another good game, looked better than Jackson in every part of play apart from tactical kicking.

Heaslip looked good also apart from the first five minutes or so.
I can only hope your team share your arrogance.

Fair enough.

Meanwhile, up here we've got two player agents doing commentary/punditry - unbelievable eh?

The former Dragons, Scarlets and Wales tighthead Rhys Thomas got in a bit of a Twitter feud last summer with S4C commentator Derwyn Jones for the reason that he was an agent commentating.

rhys thomas @rhys_thomas3
Hi @derwynjonescdf how can you be a tv pundit and a agent?#conflictofintrest. Why do you pick players on your books as MOM all the time??

Derwyn Jones Agency @derwynjonescdf
<iframe allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/follow_button.1363148939.html#_=1364845548985&id=twitter-widget-1&lang=en&screen_name=derwynjonescdf&show_count=false&show_screen_name=false&size=m" class="twitter-follow-button twitter-follow-button" ***le="Twitter Follow Button" data-twttr-rendered="true" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; line-height: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; list-style: none; border-width: 0px; outline: rgb(0, 0, 0); position: absolute; top: 6px; right: 8px; width: 60px; height: 20px;"></iframe>@rhys_thomas3 So sorry I couldn't give one to you#rollerskatesinscrum

Ha ha @derwynjonescdf well done dick head took you a day to think of that #shitbanter

<iframe allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/follow_button.1363148939.html#_=1364845603175&id=twitter-widget-1&lang=en&screen_name=derwynjonescdf&show_count=false&show_screen_name=false&size=m" class="twitter-follow-button twitter-follow-button" ***le="Twitter Follow Button" data-twttr-rendered="true" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; line-height: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; list-style: none; border-width: 0px; outline: rgb(0, 0, 0); position: absolute; top: 6px; right: 8px; width: 60px; height: 20px;"></iframe>@rhys_thomas3 nice language boy, your kids and family would be very proud..

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

Last edited:
The former Dragons, Scarlets and Wales tighthead Rhys Thomas got in a bit of a Twitter feud last summer with S4C commentator Derwyn Jones for the reason that he was an agent commentating.

Hi @derwynjonescdf how can you be a tv pundit and a agent?#conflictofintrest. Why do you pick players on your books as MOM all the time??

<iframe style="border-width: 0px; list-style: none; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; outline: rgb(0, 0, 0); top: 6px; width: 60px; height: 20px; right: 8px; line-height: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; position: absolute;" class="twitter-follow-button twitter-follow-button" ***le="Twitter Follow Button" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/follow_button.1363148939.html#_=1364845548985&id=twitter-widget-1&lang=en&screen_name=derwynjonescdf&show_count=false&show_screen_name=false&size=m" frameBorder="0" allowTransparency="true" scrolling="no" data-twttr-rendered="true"></iframe>@rhys_thomas3 So sorry I couldn't give one to you#rollerskatesinscrum

Ha ha @derwynjonescdf well done dick head took you a day to think of that #shitbanter

<iframe style="border-width: 0px; list-style: none; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; outline: rgb(0, 0, 0); top: 6px; width: 60px; height: 20px; right: 8px; line-height: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; position: absolute;" class="twitter-follow-button twitter-follow-button" ***le="Twitter Follow Button" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/follow_button.1363148939.html#_=1364845603175&id=twitter-widget-1&lang=en&screen_name=derwynjonescdf&show_count=false&show_screen_name=false&size=m" frameBorder="0" allowTransparency="true" scrolling="no" data-twttr-rendered="true"></iframe>@rhys_thomas3 nice language boy, your kids and family would be very proud..

<script charset="utf-8" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" async=""></script><iframe style="display: none;" id="rufous-sandbox" frameBorder="0" allowTransparency="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>
In fairness here the lads don't get to pick MOTM. It usually left to an independent and more older head.

I can only hope your team share your arrogance.

It's not arrogance mate, in my opinion Leinster have the strongest squad in both competitions coupled with one of the best coaches in Europe and they're used to winning therefore I'm confident that they'll do the business like they've done on bigger scales before.
I'd say the team themselves are confident of winning.
Hmmm.

Afoa, Bowe & Marshall of the Ulster first 15 to come back in. Add to that having half the team actually match fit and I wouldn't see there being much between them. It'd probably come down to the bounce of a ball, refereeing decision, slip of the foot, a slice of the boot - something small.

I don't see Leinsters strongest 15 (against Ulster's strongest 15) being guaranteed anything other than a very tough game in either in the RDS or in Ravenhill.

Ulster are definitely a different animal from last year - and - Leinster have went backwards from where they were last year.

I suppose so but I think that Leinster were missing 2 leaders and three key players added to that 4 of which were backs where Ulster really won the game whereas Ulster were missing only three key players but you're right it'll come down to the day.

It's not arrogance mate, in my opinion Leinster have the strongest squad in both competitions coupled with one of the best coaches in Europe and they're used to winning therefore I'm confident that they'll do the business like they've done on bigger scales before.

I don't think you're being arrogant but I certainly think that Leinster are very beatable, and not just under the condition that the players don't bother

I know this isn't the right forum but what would you say the Leinster 23 for friday is likely to look like?

I don't think you're being arrogant but I certainly think that Leinster are very beatable, and not just under the condition that the players don't bother

I know this isn't the right forum but what would you say the Leinster 23 for friday is likely to look like?

Yeah I agree with you, I think Wasps will be a big challenge considering the backline they've got and they are playing with a lot of confidence.

1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Ross
4. Cullen
5. Toner
6. O'Brien
7. Jennings
8. Heaslip
9. Boss/Cooney (Boss might get the drop after the mediocre performance vs Ulster)
10. Madigan
11. McFadden
12. D'Arcy
13. O'Malley
14. Kearney
15. Kearney

16. Strauss
17. McGrath
18. Hagan
19. Roux
20. McLaughlan
21. Cooney/Boss
22. Sexton/Reid
23. Conway

That's what I'd pick, you never really know with Schmidt but that's what I'd want.

I'd say Roux and Cullen with McLaughlin instead of Jennings. More the away team. Oh and Nacewa is still alive as is Henke. So I'd expect them to be there.

I'd say Roux and Cullen with McLaughlin instead of Jennings. More the away team. Oh and Nacewa is still alive as is Henke. So I'd expect them to be there.

Jesus how did I forget about Isa, him to 14 and Kearney to the bench. I wouldn't pick Heinke to be honest, this would be great experience for McGrath.

Jesus how did I forget about Isa, him to 14 and Kearney to the bench. I wouldn't pick Heinke to be honest, this would be great experience for McGrath.

Yeah I'd pick Jack as well not sure if Schmidt will though.

Look I know Kearney's good but you can't have him twice mate...

I think Wasps have a shot if the scrum stays steady and if Vunipola stops losing his head and starts punching holes in opposition defences again!

Likely Wasps side:

1. Taulafo
2. Lindsay
3. Swainston
4. Wentzel
5. Cannon
6 Johnson
7. Jones
8. Vunipola

9. Simpson
10. Jones
11. Wade
12. Bell
13. Masi
14. Varndell
15. Daly

16. Thomas
17. Payne
18. Taylor
19. Launchbury
20. Poff
21. Davies
22. Robinson
23. Southwell

Alternatively, Southwell may come back into the side at 15, Daly to 13, Masi to 23.

A shame Isa has been shoehorned to the wing most of his time at Leinster. That season he had at full back in 2011 with Kearney injured he was more prominent and showed how such a quality player he was, and was the best in Europe that season.

Look I know Kearney's good but you can't have him twice mate...

I think Wasps have a shot if the scrum stays steady and if Vunipola stops losing his head and starts punching holes in opposition defences again!

Likely Wasps side:

1. Taulafo
2. Lindsay
3. Swainston
4. Wentzel
5. Cannon
6 Johnson
7. Jones
8. Vunipola

9. Simpson
10. Jones
11. Wade
12. Bell
13. Masi
14. Varndell
15. Daly

16. Thomas
17. Payne
18. Taylor
19. Launchbury
20. Poff
21. Davies
22. Robinson
23. Southwell

Alternatively, Southwell may come back into the side at 15, Daly to 13, Masi to 23.

Has Wasps' maul defence improved since Northampton?

Not particularly, we still seem very vulnerable to well set mauls. I don't know why, but we just can't seem to cause mauls problems with an initial counter drive.

Not particularly, we still seem very vulnerable to well set mauls. I don't know why, but we just can't seem to cause mauls problems with an initial counter drive.

Do they try and sack or do they just try and counter drive?

I'd expect us to target you there. If we can actually hit our target we have a strong maul particulary with the likes of Healy, Roux and Heaslip.

Edit: Oh and cmac I'd expect Goodman over Reid.

Last edited:
Were you as confident that Leinster would win the Pro12 last year?

Or that they'd at the very least stay in the HC this year?

It's one thing to believe that your team can win and another to believe that they will win. NZ of 2007 should serve as a reminder. There are some quality teams left in the Amlin.

Don't think anyone was that confident with Clermont in our pool.

It's one thing to believe that your team can win and another to believe that they will win. NZ of 2007 should serve as a reminder. There are some quality teams left in the Amlin.

Yes and No.

I thought we'd win the Pro 12 considering we topped the league by 20 odd points and it took a season best performance from Oppress, our bogey team, to stop us.

Once I saw the group I was apprehensive after the first two games and the injuries we had before the Clermont games I knew it would take a huge effort to get out.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being confident in my team and it certainly isn't arrogant to think that the best team in Europe over the past five years will win their domestic league and Europe B.

Latest posts