• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro12: Round 20

Anything less than 2 weeks and I'd have raised an eyebrow. Grewcock received six weeks for his reckless use of the boot on the Lions tour - Grewcock's disciplinary record is horrendous mind O'Connell's is good, 2 weeks wouldn't have been pleasing but on thought probably about correct.

[h=1]Schmidt unhappy with O'Connell decision[/h]
Leinster coach Joe Schmidt was damning in his reaction to the incident involving Paul O'Connell and winger Dave Kearney in last weekend's PRO12 Match, which left the wing left the field unconscious. Schmidt said that he could not understand why O'Connell was not being cited.

Schmidt spoke before Leinster's training session at UCD claiming that a dangerous precedent had been set in the game and that parents looking at the incident where theMunster lock kicked Kearney on the head, may have second thoughts putting thier children into rugby.

"I think the baseline that has just been created by the citing commissioner is an incredibly dangerous one," said Schmidt. "90,000 hits on You Tube. That's kids and parents. If that's deemed by an individual to be an acceptable act on a rugby field…"

Schmidt continued to say that while nobody had any doubt about the quality of the man that O'Connell is or his intentions, but he was unequivocal about the dangerous nature of the incident and the way it was handled.

"I think any one who has been involved in an incident where someone has to leave the field in that condition…we can get into semantics, the toe, the shin, the foot….You just cannot fly hack near someone's head like that."

O'Connell was deemed to have no case to answer when an Independent Citing Commissioner reviewed the incident on Sunday.
Leinster confirmed that Kearney is set for a spell on the sidelines. hewas released from hospital on Sunday morning and will follow the return to play guidelines for head injury.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/schmidt-unhappy-with-o-connell-decision-1.1362086

Schmidt unhappy with O’Connell decision

Leinster coach Joe Schmidt was damning in his reaction to the incident involving Paul O’Connell and winger Dave Kearney in last weekend’s PRO12 Match, which left the wing left the field unconscious. Schmidt said that he could not understand why O'Connell was not being cited.

Do not teams have the right to cite an opposition player....i thought that they did?

Not anymore. When that was the case, we had ***-for-tat citings. If Leinster cited O'Connell, Munster would react by citing somebody from Leinster and so on.

Just on point I know I defending Paulie but I glad Schmidt has spoke out as I like to see a coach lead from front and be honest and not quiet but having studied again the video I still think it wasn't enough to warrant missing HEC and if you are banned the lowest ban was 3 weeks. Probably contradicts my defense all week but as I said yes it was as put by citing "careless but not reckless, malicious or intentional and didn't warrant red"

Well, the main thing is that the citing commissioner and the officials plainly did not follow the laws of the game:10.4 Dangerous play and misconduct(c)Kicking. A player must not kick an opponent.Sanction: Penalty kick10.5 Sanctions(a)Any player who infringes any part of the Foul Play Law must be admonished, or cautioned and temporarily suspended for a period of ten minutes' playing time, or sent-off.Like it or not, that's pretty clear. No mention of whether intent is important.

Yes but Feic a player can only be cited if the acting citing commioner deems the offence a red card. But again the way media slate POC and some Leinster fans is disappointing. As I put it, it's not Paulies job to cite himself regardless. Yes you could argue its his job on pitch but that a different argument

Ah come on....you cant blame a ref for what happened in the last minute......what happened in the other 79?

Ospreys had so many chance and they stuffed them up and gave the penalties that Yach thrives on!!

I think Clancey is a first class prick but I agee with Peat.....if you are talking about the ref, you have not played well enough!!

Had a few beers with some Ospreys guys in San Seb and they agreed with that summation................!!

No that's rubbish. The Ospreys were the better side and were robbed and that last play where Biarritz disrupted the Ospreys attack was an obvious penalty. It was both offside and a deliberate knock on. I think it is justified to blame the ref for missing that obvious infringement of professional foul play and not giving the penalty which would have seen the Ospreys into the semi finals.

k4fqmx.jpg

To add to that, you say the Ospreys didn't take chances earlier in the match. But again one was thanks to that **** ref Clancy allowing deliberate knock ons. Clancy robbed the Ospreys that day.

2exr48m.jpg

But if Ospreys were much better team they'd have been out of sight? And blaming a ref is a sign of excuse regardless of if you are Munster Leinster or Ospreys.
Have to agree with Tony if a ref were to blame then I think he'd be struck off but other 79mins should have been where ye finished it. And even if 1 knock on was ignored it still shouldn't be a difference

But if Ospreys were much better team they'd have been out of sight? And blaming a ref is a sign of excuse regardless of if you are Munster Leinster or Ospreys.
Have to agree with Tony if a ref were to blame then I think he'd be struck off but other 79mins should have been where ye finished it. And even if 1 knock on was ignored it still shouldn't be a difference

They were the better team. Perhaps not overwhelmingly, but clearly better. It was obvious that Clancy cost that match for the Ospreys, I don't know how any team 1 point behind would fail to be annoyed at two clear refereeing blunders and costing you a win.

Also Clancy should be struck off. I'm baffled as to how he has managed to get to the top of the game and has stayed there, he has a bad match 90% of the times I've seen him.

I don't see why it is wrong to blame the ref when it quite clear he cost the match with his blunders.

Remember Paddy O'Brien's infamous performance that cost Fiji the game against France? He gifted France 10 points, cost Fiji 7, and missed a potential red card. Should Fiji have just said they weren't good enough despite ridiculous blunders from the ref continuously in the match costing them the win?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea but we know Clancy wasn't that biased and just to say the better team doesn't always win. Like I know some Leinster fans may argue and if people leave POC stuff aside etc it could be argued Munster were marginally the better team Saturday night yet Leinster won and no blame on ref

Yea but we know Clancy wasn't that biased and just to say the better team doesn't always win. Like I know some Leinster fans may argue and if people leave POC stuff aside etc it could be argued Munster were marginally the better team Saturday night yet Leinster won and no blame on ref

What point are you trying to make?

It is clear the Ospreys were robbed by Clancy in that match and that was the reason they lost. Offside or deliberate knock on, take your pick, it should have been a penalty.

k4fqmx.jpg

My point is im sure if you go throught whole game there is possibly some decisions the oppositions will feel they should've had

Duck the problem is that that isn't a 100% clear penalty. Firstly, the Ospreys pack have cleared out too far past the ball, meaning the ball was clearly out of the ruck, so I'd say that isn't offside. Secondly it looks like the scrum half (Phillips?) passes the ball against an outstretched arm, not that the ball was slapped down, although I have seen these given as penalties.

So ultimately, just a knock on is arguably the correct decision.

Last edited:
Blaming the ref is the weakest excuses in this game, I'm fine with saying that he was a factor and that he certainly did not help but ultimetly he is not playing the game it's up to the players to make things happen. When I see fans, teammates and even myself blaming the ref for a defeat I either tell them to shut (mostly team mates) and that we were at fault and that we could've done more to win it. Now i'm not trying to tell you to shut up and that your argument is invalid but somewhat over stated and IMO and immature way of dealing with defeat rather then taking it on the chin. again nothing personal Duck just my option on blaming the ref for defeat.

So either way Leinster are laughing. Why not select a venue like Windsor park or Casement Park

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22180778

[not counting chickens]

If we get there - not ideal. <_<

Would it work like the Heineken cup quarter finals, with the 'home' team allocated 75% of tickets and the 'away' team given 25%?

Could result in the RDS being 3/4 full of Ulstermen for a final between Leinster and Ulster (obviously dependent on results), which would be a bit bizarre.

Would it work like the Heineken cup quarter finals, with the 'home' team allocated 75% of tickets and the 'away' team given 25%?

Could result in the RDS being 3/4 full of Ulstermen for a final between Leinster and Ulster (obviously dependent on results), which would be a bit bizarre.
No as majority of tickets are on public sale. It not distributed like HEC tickets

Latest posts