• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

PS4 Announced

It is rubbish that the backwards compatility will be through wi-fi and not backwards compatitable for games. From what I can understand from it is that you need PS3 connected to internet as WELL as PS4. If this is the case, then it's a joke!

I wonder which games will be released with it and to see some demo's.

It is rubbish that the backwards compatility will be through wi-fi and not backwards compatitable for games. From what I can understand from it is that you need PS3 connected to internet as WELL as PS4. If this is the case, then it's a joke!

Its no suprise it wont play PS3 games at all.. for starters the PS4 is going to a x86 based CPU not the CELL so the games wont work as they aren't coded for the system and do you really think Sony will pay all the dev's to recode all the games out on the PS3?

pretty interesting so far.

Been a lot of hype and propaganda, some strange reactions from Microsoft

As far as how powerful it will be we wont really know for sure till final specs come out. All we know is that it will be an 8 core AMD APU with a HD6xxx series GPU on the chip

It's good but not future tech or anything mind blowing. Current AMD APU's for notebooks and PC's are basically dual core 4 thread CPU's with ok integrated graphics, they are ok at best and only really good if used with hybrid crossfire. The PS4 processor is just a bulked up version by the sounds of it will be a 4 core/module 8 thread Processor - if you didn't know the AMD CPU's are not really true 4/8 core CPU's they actually compare more better with Intel Hyper thread CPU's like the I7 which is 4 core 8 thread but lets be honest Intels I7 basically blows away anything AMD has got in terms of processing power even though the AMD solution is closer to true 8 physical cores it' still well behind intel terms of power.

The GPU will clearly be better than any standard AMD APU but HD6xxx series is already a few years old, hardly cutting edge. My guess is it will be like an HD6870 but with a more modern small manufacturing process so can sit on the APU.

What the processor does signal to me is low cost. My understanding is that Sony went to Nvidia and I bet they came up with something awesome but too expensive. The AMD option will be very cost effective and allow Sony to make the PS4 affordable.

8GB DDR5 is really impressive, but IMO it's also total overkill. PS3 has 256mb and yes it's a bottleneck now but it's still producing good graphics. 1gb would have been good, 2gb awesome, 4GB overkill and 8gb is just total overkill. And just means that memory will basically never bottleneck this generation console. Even more of an overkill when you consider games will only be 1080p and not higher resolutions

Word is that the next xbox will not have DDR5 or 8gb, this will prob be an edge the PS4 will have going forward.

moving to x86 means it will be easy to develop for and bring production costs down. But also means it wont be able to run ps3 games. Which I personally think is a shame.

It is kinda a shame to see the end of the cell processor used in the PS3. Though yes it was harder to devalop/port for it is/was a very special bit of kit even by today's standards. I mean unlike the PS4 which has pretty conservative low cost hardware the PS3 was pretty revolutionary and the processor at the time was seriously powerful. It was very rare for a game to take full advantage of the cell processor, it's strength was not pixel fill rates - it's post processing, basically mathematical calculations/floating point. To see just how good it is you really need to play games like Uncharted 2 & 3.

To give you and idea of how good it is the US millitary have built a super computer linking thousands of PS3 consoles together to process high definition satellite images and it is one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, top 50 I think?

My understand is billions was spend developing the cell (with IBM/Toshiba) and it was purchased by Toshiba? But it has now been canned.

if that pic is the actual PS4. I like it, to be honest I don't really like the designs of the various realases of the PS3. This looks much cleaner though doesn't look like you can put it up on it's edge without a stand or something.

in a nutshell PS4 = safe, more in line with the PC and more cost effective. But nothing special.

Didn't want to start a new thread for it, but has anyone seen the new Xbox One details. Facccck that. They've got around the pre-owned issue by having it so if you buy a pre owned game, when you install it on your xbox (YOU HAVE TO) you'll pay a fee, and the game will be automatically uninstalled from the other persons console. Also you may have heard that EA are planning to dump their online pass thing. Well here's the reason why chaps. I have a feeling EA and Microsoft teaming up to form a league of evil is a veeerrryy bad thing. They have said it won't be always online DRM, but I don't see how not given their forced uninstall thingy. I swear if they make XBOX LIVE a monthly fee thing it's table flipping time. Also Xbox seem to have a hard on for Social networking ****, so as it stands I think I'll get a PS4. Not certain yet though. I need to see more of them both.

So Here it is!!

9011341335_81da6cf424_o_35063_640screen.jpg
9011342341_0389ee02f3_o_05382_640screen.jpg
9011342661_da72068e11_o_86902_640screen.jpg
9012525050_c930aefe23_o_36143_640screen.jpg

Pricing unveiled will be:

$399/€399/£349
This means it will be cheaper than the Xbox One.

Havn;t seen the whole conference but they certainly have endeared themselves to consumers, i'll have to wait for prices in my country as they're usually off the wall and inaccurate. They also have KH3 which is almost enough to make me buy a PS4.

I'm going to be getting one.
Had a PS1 and PS2, moved to 360, now back on the Sony wagon :p
Xbox One just looks...terrible. Everything Microsoft has done wrong, Sony looks to have done right.
Looking forward to it!

I'm going to be getting one.
Had a PS1 and PS2, moved to 360, now back on the Sony wagon :p
Xbox One just looks...terrible. Everything Microsoft has done wrong, Sony looks to have done right.
Looking forward to it!
PS1 --> PS2 --> 360 --> PS4 is my route, except I have a stop-off at N64 along the way (best console for its time ever)

I still play on my PS2 every once in a while :D
and my favorite games on the PC are Age of Kings (Expansion) and Doom 2. :p

So the price in dollars and euro's is both 399? Guess I'll be buying one online then.

Even though I work for Microsoft, I would always prefer a Playstation over an xBox, for several reasons:

- No reason to switch, since I have always been happy with PS-equipment
- I prefer Playstation Exclusives like Uncharted, God of War, Infamous over xBox exclusives
- I have more friends with a Playstation than xBox, making it an easy pick regarding swapping games and online gaming with friends

I am not saying Microsoft has made a bad product, bad it wasn't good enough to make me switch from PS to XB.

I was a PS2 person who went to 360 (think many people did). If I do bother to get a console, it will be the PS4. The only games I am looking forward to are GTA and Battlefront.

I went PS1, PS2, 360 and i'm still undecied which one to get both have pro's and con's for me. The biggest thing that will help me deiced though is which my friends get. Also I hope the new PS controller is designed for a person with reasonable sized hands, the PS3 was simply to small.

I've gone Xbox-Xbox 360 but am not entirely certain but I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to choose and probably play both at different stages.

Latest posts