• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Question about Line-outs.

C

Corywalker

I play flank, and im usually placed at the end of a lineout to run at the opposition's flyhalf (number 10). I am wondering, when EXACTLY can i ran towards their flyhalf without being offside? Is it when the ball gets to the scrum half? Or when the jumper catches it? Or is it something different? Please help me TRF! :)

~ Cory

When the ball leaves the lineout (lineout over)

There are a lot of ways this can happen though regarding the ball leaving the lineout. Also the interpretation of it can vary.

The bottom line to watch for most players is don't be ahead of the halfback before he passes to the first five. Harder to be called up for offside if you remember that. You can get a head start by going side ways towards your backline before rushing forward as long as you don't go sideways before the ball is even thrown in!

There are a lot of ways this can happen though regarding the ball leaving the lineout. Also the interpretation of it can vary.

The bottom line to watch for most players is don't be ahead of the halfback before he passes to the first five. Harder to be called up for offside if you remember that. You can get a head start by going side ways towards your backline before rushing forward as long as you don't go sideways before the ball is even thrown in!
[/b]

Thanks for the tip! Another thing i need to ask, once the scrum half recieves the ball, is it possible for me to intercept the pass to the fly half? Sorry for the noob questions, i don't watch a lot of rugby because im in Canada and my first year coaches didn't coach us much about flanks (im in my 2nd year) so im just learning about them now.

If the referee is doing his job properly then he should signal when the lineout is over, and obviously when you can then go after the ball.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Thanks for the tip! Another thing i need to ask, once the scrum half recieves the ball, is it possible for me to intercept the pass to the fly half? Sorry for the noob questions, i don't watch a lot of rugby because im in Canada and my first year coaches didn't coach us much about flanks (im in my 2nd year) so im just learning about them now. [/b][/quote]

Of course it's possible...you just need to be fast enough :)...but it's pretty much impossible because the flyhalf will be standing back at an angle and you would have to be travelling quite a bit faster than the ball, depending on the angle.

All in all it's possible, but probably happens once out of every 3000 balls a scrum-half throws :)

Remember: You can't run past last feet until the ball is deemed out by the referee, and depending on the ref, that could be either when scrum-half (or whoever happens to be acting as scrum-half) has hands on the ball or when the ball is released from the scrum-half's hands. ALWAYS ASK the referee before the game when the ball will be deemed out.

yeah, unless ur as fast as flash or the scrum half is a total idiot u wont be able to intercept... u might be able to knock it on, and it wont be accidental knock-on so it's a penalty... my advise is forget the ball, keep ur eye on the flyhalf... hit him as hard as u can.. :p

Today, when playing, I had enough time to get to the scrumhalf before he trew the ball.....
So maybe, u should focus on f***in up de scrumhalf :):D
But maybe thats just me... a prop with anger management problems :p

Today, when playing, I had enough time to get to the scrumhalf before he trew the ball.....
[/b]

Man that scrum half musta been SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT i never ever ever have gotten caught at a lineout by anyone on the opposing team. I dont even know how he coulda got hit unless he was slow as **** at passing a ball..

well, u havent played against me DC... or at least about 5 months ago when i was flanker fit.. I'm sooo much like a prop now which is sad...

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Man that scrum half musta been SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT i never ever ever have gotten caught at a lineout by anyone on the opposing team. I dont even know how he coulda got hit unless he was slow as **** at passing a ball..
[/b][/quote]

well.. dunno :p
he just held onto the ball long enough for me to get to him. I could plce my shoulder in his tummy befory the ball left his hands..
But they where a team from bastigstoke on tour through holland...
When they left the bus, the smell of alcohol and vomit was easy to detect ;)

Latest posts