• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Question for supporters of Leicester Tigers...

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
Can you tell me what the initials used by their players above the team logo?

For example, Ben Youngs uses the letter "I":

1302250350149774.jpg

Toby Flood uses the letter "J":

130225035031321366.jpg

Geordan Murphy uses the letter "O":

130225035050279930.jpg

and Manu Tuilagi uses the letter "M":

130225035059591854.jpg

Regards!

In ye-olde days, Tigers (and some other clubs) used letters instead of numbers:

1 A
2 B
3 C
4 D
5 E
6 F
7 G
8 H
9 I
10 J
11 K
12 L
13 M
14 N
15 O

etc.

Same as some clubs didn't play certain numbers because of retiring numbers or other reasons (e.g. Bath never had a 13 shirt because of superstition).

The advent of professionalism meant certain rules had to come in and the clubs ditched their traditional methods of numbering. Leicester simply put them on the front of their shirt now as a way to say "oh look at our history".

Reference to the 80's and 90's when they copied Bristol and used letters on back of their shirts rather than numbers (mind you we copied Wales in doing so)

Same as some clubs didn't play certain numbers because of retiring numbers or other reasons (e.g. Bath never had a 13 shirt because of superstition).

Didn't Quins play in squad numbers for a bit? Swear I remember seeing that at the Mem

Last edited:
Tigers are always traditionally wore letters on the backs of their shirts rather than numbers; putting the corresponding letter above the club badge is a nod to this. They still do it for friendlies.

Didn't Quins play in squad numbers for a bit? Swear I remember seeing that at the Mem

You may be right. It rings a bell now you're saying that.

PS. Didn't Bris have their fullback wear "A", being polar opposite to the tigers number system?

I used to love the uniqueness we had in using letters, now I see them listed I can only imagine how confusing Leicester v Bris games were when we used letters. The Bristol 15 wearing A and theirs in O.

Thank you very much for the answers friends, it shows a sense of camaraderie in this forum. Come on Rugby!!!

In ye-olde days, Tigers (and some other clubs) used letters instead of numbers:

1 A
2 B
3 C
4 D
5 E
6 F
7 G
8 H
9 I
10 J
11 K
12 L
13 M
14 N
15 O

etc.

The advent of professionalism meant certain rules had to come in and the clubs ditched their traditional methods of numbering. Leicester simply put them on the front of their shirt now as a way to say "oh look at our history".

Thank you very much, friend! I'll buy the jersey of Leicester in their online store, they can add the official Premiership number and the official Aviva Premiership patch, but can not seem to add the letter that players wear on the front. :(
Regards

You may be right. It rings a bell now you're saying that.

PS. Didn't Bris have their fullback wear "A", being polar opposite to the tigers number system?

I'm not going mad, it did happen. May 3rd 1998. I hope to get a copy of the programme in a bit to show photographic evidence. Love how I can remember an obscure reference like that from 15 years ago but not remember things that happened a month ago

Latest posts