• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RaboDirect Pro 12 - Ulster vs Leinster - 20/04/2012

I do agree that Ulster are firmly concentrating on the Heineken Cup at this stage. Before last night's game, they had a 50:50 shot at making the Pro 12 semi final if they won both their remaining games. Even then, it would have lead to an away semi final and likely defeat to the Opreys or Leinster. Is it really worth putting all that effort in with a limited squad (in terms of depth) when the same team are one "home" win away from a Heineken Cup final. Ulster took the pragmatic approach and view the Heineken Cup as easily their best chance at winning silverware this season. If they desperately wanted to win yesterday, Rory Best, Dan Tuohy and Stephen Ferris would have started.

Even in defeat, there were positives for Ulster. Paddy Jackson and especially Declan Fitzpatrick put their hands up for selection next week. I suspect Ian Humphreys will still start at 10. It was interesting that Tom Court didn't shift to tighthead once Fitzpatrick went off. It's clear that Ulster management wanted to get a look at Adam Macklin in that spot to see how he stood up against Springbok Heinke van der Merwe.

For Leinster, it was about as good as could be expected. You don't want to show your full hand in a game that's of no real consequence a week before the semi final and Leinster played quite a limited game plan yet still won on the road to a good team. The defence got a decent workout and there were no injuries. The lineout is a concern though.

I hope the two teams meet again in London four weeks from today. I'd fancy Ulster's chances of getting there quite strongly but Leinster are up against it. Ulster will win by 10 points next weekend with the other semi going down to the wire and no more than 7 points seperating the sides.

We are getting there. Our first choice XV is by now a match for just about anyone. Paddy Jackson is beginning to show serious signs of solving our 10 dilemma and I intend to hire BG8 as an advisor for putting together a strop to post whenever snoopy doubts him.

I don't know wheter or not to be offended I prefer to think I put a well formed arguement on the table that I repeat over and over. A bit better than a strop I like to think. Also how much you offering.

I can safely say I can't tell the difference.

I did wonder why Feic was up so late and unusually angry.

The nitelink wasn't running from town so I had to get a taxi. I was less than happy.

The nitelink wasn't running from town so I had to get a taxi. I was less than happy.

What is this nitelink? I need to know this sort of thing. My SF ticket just arrived, gonna book flights in a moment, never been to Dublin before.

What is this nitelink? I need to know this sort of thing. My SF ticket just arrived, gonna book flights in a moment, never been to Dublin before.

SF? The nitelink is a bus service that serves the suburbs (there are a few routes) at about 1 and 3pm on thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Last night was the Trinity ball, which is a pretty major event, but for some reason the thing didn't run it. Raging.

Semi-Final Feic. Ulster's probable f***-up against Embra.

I'm going to the SF too next week, it should be class.

Only problem is that I found out today that I have a Gaelic Football match on the day at 3:30 so I'm going to have to find a way to get from my GAA club to Lansdowne road, probably having to meet up with the lads I'm going with to get the tickets all in about an hour. It's going to be reminiscent of an awesome episode of 24.

Latest posts