• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ray Gravell Dies...

R

RC

Link

Really sad news about a man who represented his country in rugby and found a place in the Welsh folks' hearts as a loveable man who knew his rugby. He was EXTREMELY well liked (especially at Llanelli) but this man will be sorely missed.

My condolensces go out to his family and friends.
Rugby won't be the same without his interviews...

Can't bloody believe it. absolutely heart breaking. The nicest guy i have ever come accross, so approachable, and should be template to the current players (stuck up k**bs!!, well some are). I had the honour of being interviewed by him once for bbc cymru, an absolute gent. Such a nice guy. A welsh man through and through. I hope a proper memorial will be done to show how much of an asset to welsh rugby he was. Maybe they might name the new "Stradey Park" after him. You shall be missed!

I remember that name- as far as I can recall, didn`t he play in all 4 tests on the Lions tour to SA in 1980? Helluva good centre in his heyday. Sad to see him go at such a young age. Commiserations to the family and friends.

Link

Really sad news about a man who represented his country in rugby and found a place in the Welsh folks' hearts as a loveable man who knew his rugby. He was EXTREMELY well liked (especially at Llanelli) but this man will be sorely missed.

My condolensces go out to his family and friends.
Rugby won't be the same without his interviews...
[/b]

What a sad day for welsh rugby and rugby in general. Some of our younger or less well informed members should know that Gravell was part of the great LLanelli and Wales teams of the 70's. A true Welsh man and one of the great centres . RAY WE SALUTE YOU!!!!!!!!

I was devastated when I heard that Ray had died. He was such a humble, passionate Welshman who loved the Scarlets. I never got to see him play, just highlights of him playing.

He will be sadly missed, R.I.P. Grav.

I remember that name- as far as I can recall, didn`t he play in all 4 tests on the Lions tour to SA in 1980? Helluva good centre in his heyday. Sad to see him go at such a young age. Commiserations to the family and friends. [/b]

Crashball merchant!

Be there was more to him than that.
Yeah, he was a Lion - i can't confirm if it was on the SA tour tho.

it was on the south africa tour 1980 yes!!

quite a similar type of player to tom shanklin

I had the honour and the pleasure of meeting the great man once. You couldn't wish to meet a more friendly bloke, tbh. He just seemed like the sort of guy you could just give a great big hug to.

RIP Grav, you will be missed.

I'm a bit late but thought I should add my piece on Grav. I was fortunate enough to meet him in 2000/2001 before a Swansea v Llanelli game at Stradey Park and he was such a warm character and just happy to chat. My uncle had brought up the fact I was from Newcastle and then he just set away talking about the place and signed my programme "Howay the Lads"!

As I never got to watch him play rugby, I'll remember him as the great S4C Broadcaster and just one of the most friendly ex-professionals I've ever met.

RIP Grav.

Latest posts