• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Referee decisions during World Cup

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49870949

I agree with the panel's decision but I can imagine there are a few furrowed brows about this one.........
i know that we shouldn't be judging tackles based off of instinct or gut feelings, but honestly that tackled looked fine to me. Francis was upright so it was a clash but it wasn't a shoulder flying into hooley's head. Maybe they could consider adding the angle of the shoulder to the decision making flowchart.

The idea of making an objective decision making chart is good, but in a sport where officiating is so subjective i just don't see it being sustainable.

What is the world coming to I'm supporting Australia and England in the same thread... I agree, the Francis one was yellow at worst.

For the record I think the Wales winger high shot on the Aussie 8 wasn't even a penalty either. He fell into it and the welsh lad had his hand on the blokes shoulder, Naisarani's head basically gently whacked into Adams' arm. There's so much of that kind of incidental contact with the head (that isn't at all dangerous), the game will be a joke if we ping it all.

Poite had a good game - AGAIN we have losing team looking to scapegoat the Referee Then we have Journos & fans parrot the same old talking points

Kerevi incident - 100% a penalty- lucky it wasn't a yellow card
What saved him was the simultaneous contact btw the chest & throat area of Patchell

Similar to Bismarck Du Plessis incident vs Liam Messam - BDP was sin binned BTW

Hooper incident is self explanatory - fortunate to avoid a yellow card
Adams tackle on Naserani was a penalty - easy call to make

Poite had a good game - AGAIN we have losing team looking to scapegoat the Referee Then we have Journos & fans parrot the same old talking points

Kerevi incident - 100% a penalty- lucky it wasn't a yellow card
What saved him was the simultaneous contact btw the chest & throat area of Patchell

Similar to Bismarck Du Plessis incident vs Liam Messam - BDP was sin binned BTW

Hooper incident is self explanatory - fortunate to avoid a yellow card
Adams tackle on Naserani was a penalty - easy call to make
D'u know what... you're growing on me :rolleyes:

D'u know what... you're growing on me :rolleyes:
Yeah, legit poster if a little confrontational at times (I can appreciate/respect that though)...

Anyway, catching up with the only game I've not seen yet; Georgia vs Fiji. Currently at 47 minutes and there have been so many high shots from Fiji I'm surprised I haven't heard any outcry about it elsewhere. Georgia are probably a bit too tough for their own good as they're just beasting on but the officials, particularly TMO have let them down massively. Some real nasty ones too.

As I'm typing this Georgia are imploding a bit after losing their captain to a HIA, sustained injury after taking two high shots (including a knee to the head) in the space of a few seconds and in an earlier phase during the same play another Georgian (6, IIRC) took a no arm shoulder to the neck. Given the earlier games in this tournament, where is the consistency?

Yeah, legit poster if a little confrontational at times (I can appreciate that though)...

Anyway, catching up with the only game I've not seen yet; Georgia vs Fiji. Currently at 47 minutes and there have been so many high shots from Fiji I'm surprised I haven't heard any outcry about it elsewhere. Georgia are probably a bit too tough for their own good as they're just beasting on but the officials, particularly TMO have let them down massively. Some real nasty ones too.

As I'm typing this Georgia are imploding a bit after losing their captain to a HIA, sustained injury after taking two high shots (including a knee to the head) in the space of a few seconds and in an earlier phase during the same play another Georgian (6, IIRC) took a no arm shoulder to the neck. Given the earlier games in this tournament, where is the consistency?
Yeah, I'm kinda hoping they've (Fiji) gotten all of those high shots out of their system and they don't put any of the Welsh boys out of the competition next week.

Barnes made his first big error. Italian 17 should have been sent off as well. Horrible play by 1 and 17 with absolutely no need to do it. Both lifted each leg and both are responsible. 17 should be cited too.

I guess it's this thread as well as the match thread:
Italy (very) lucky to have any props left - IMO that shoulda been 2 reds.

Unless either of them is a good Christian who wouldn't do such a thing, of course ;)

Credit to the refs. They are not getting much rest in between matches. We all know how hot it is in Japan.

Guess it kinda fits in here. Lavanini banned for 4 weeks. Doesn't explain why he gets an extra week. I assume because of past history maybe? However if 4 weeks just for the tackle, then it's a bit harsh compared to the 3 weeks for some other tackles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49957954

If you're really interested all the information is here (only short form at present).

https://www.world.rugby/documents/judicial-decisions?lang=en

Looking at some of the long form decisions for a geek like me they are fascinating. Lavanini's isn't up there yet but I will read it when it arrives.

If you're really interested all the information is here (only short form at present).

https://www.world.rugby/documents/judicial-decisions?lang=en

Looking at some of the long form decisions for a geek like me they are fascinating. Lavanini's isn't up there yet but I will read it when it arrives.

Read the short ones. Doesn't seem a huge amount of difference other than that he got 2 weeks less for admitting it/contrition etc... and others got 3 weeks for similar. Guess full might explain a bit more.

Read the short ones. Doesn't seem a huge amount of difference other than that he got 2 weeks less for admitting it/contrition etc... and others got 3 weeks for similar. Guess full might explain a bit more.

I reckon there's a bit of how contrite you actually are with a decent dash of "It's hardly the first time is it". However, I find it intriguing as for me the degree of danger in Motu Matu's tackle on Vasily Artemiev was far higher than Lavanini's on Farrell. The former was executed at full pace with reckless abandon. Lavanini's whilst still a solid shot wasn't as out of control...........

Then I guess it could be argued that Lavanini was more cold and calculated than Matu'u; the latter being reckless and the former being a deliberate attack as he was in control.

The 2 weeks off for good character is a joke, the man 3 has red cards and 9 yellow cards, hes a clear serial offender.

All players got a reset for the WC. So for the tournament all players was on zero cards.

So none of the past offences would have been taken into consideration.

But after this World Cup, Lavanini will be on 4 Red and 9 Yellow cards

All players got a reset for the WC. So for the tournament all players was on zero cards.

That's umm bloody stupid.

Still I suppose if my some miracle Argentina make the final he's been banned for the world cup.

Have you a reference for that? I've never heard even a whisper of that being the case before, and it fails the sniff test.

Latest posts