• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Referee Strictness

SavageLez

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Western Province

Should penalties and set pieces be determined by referee strictness and or good/poor decisions?

In the previous versions referee strictness did apply but it was not evident in most cases. There were the occasional skew throw-in to the the lineouts, high tackles and knock on 's called. Far too often knock on's were not called, every high tackle and hands in the ruck was spotted so there was no room for "Pocock & McCawing".

It would be great to see some good calls as well as shockers depending on the ref on the day. This could lead to some upsets when playing against mates.

Last edited:
How about an option to try and bung the ref some money to favour your team.

I for one would go absolutely apeshit if i knew i scored a try against my mate and the ref called a forward pass..this would lead me to hitting them for a frustrating aspect in the game :(

ah mr de villers
as he cannot change real refs he shall bribe pc refs!!

I think you should have different refs with different strictnesses, thats part of the game of rugby, the try shouldn't have been scorred but was or the blocking that was missed, all part of the human aspect of the game.

I say the ref should just call everything. Offsides, foward passes, spear tackles etc. I'd be pretty gutted to be playing as NZ in a world cup and having france win again by a forward pass. Besides if certain refs were slack in some areas you'd pick it out and use it to your advantage, I'd rather a level playing field personally.

I would like to see real refs in the game, maybe one or two from each country ?

I would like to see real refs in the game, maybe one or two from each country ?

Instead of having a quota, they could just at least have the international refs.

I don't think they should go for strictness per se though, but maybe having different ways of refeering the game, some refs being more prone to let the game flow despite some minor infringements as other ones love their whistle more than the game.
The fact that they can miss a high tackle, a spear tackle, a forward pass, etc... should be based on the refs and touch judges position on the field. If their field of vision is obstructed they can miss something (also on a cardable offence, it could go down as "did the refs see the player's number). In that way the ref should have his own AI instead of just having a "simple" foul detection by the engine. the refs should be flawed to reflect the reality, but not biased.
A Harshness factor could come into play, as some refs are more prone to go for a card than others

Ehm, how about we take every aspect into consideration.

- A referee who's wife is having her period, is not allowed to take charge of a match
- A referee who's child has gotten bad grades at school is not allowed to take charge of a match

Why not play every match 3 times. Every time with a different ref. 2 out of 3!

Come on! This is the most stupid idea I've seen since someone suggested to introduce the Euro as a currency in 12 countries!

Here comes the troll. Just because you don't like an idea doesn't make it stupid. Don't reply if you're not ready to make any contribution with constructive argumentation,

Ehm, how about we take every aspect into consideration.

- A referee who's wife is having her period, is not allowed to take charge of a match
- A referee who's child has gotten bad grades at school is not allowed to take charge of a match

Why not play every match 3 times. Every time with a different ref. 2 out of 3!

Come on! This is the most stupid idea I've seen since someone suggested to introduce the Euro as a currency in 12 countries!

Political satire FTW.

Lets be honest the look of the referee or whatnot is such a waste of development time, just animate a normal person as a rewf rather than focusing on his likeness, where he is from etc.

Here comes the troll. Just because you don't like an idea doesn't make it stupid. Don't reply if you're not ready to make any contribution with constructive argumentation,

A referee is there to make sure the match doesn't get out of control. We can discuss a referee's performance but to make his strictness part of the selection protocol is ridiculous. When a referee is lenient that's an advantage for both teams, just like a pitch that is soggy or dry. It's not a disadvantage for one of the teams, it never is.

In football we've had arguments about the ball. It would be a disadvantage to the better team. That's complete BS since both teams play with the same ball. Just like the referee. You can argue whether a referee is completely neutral. Then I can understand the discussion. But to discuss whether or not a referee is too strict, is totally useless to argue about.

We have to remember most of all that referees are human. They're not machines and they can make mistakes. We can be happy we have a wonderful thing like TMO to assist in deciding if it's a try or not. At international level I haven't seen a referee who was without a doubt pulling towards one of the teams. These guys are professionals who live for rugby. Some of them are former World Class players. They know like know one else how the players feel.

Like I said... A lenient referee is an advantage for either side. A strict one will have negative influences for either team as well.

I for one would go absolutely apeshit if i knew i scored a try against my mate and the ref called a forward pass..this would lead me to hitting them for a frustrating aspect in the game :(

and I would go absolutely apeshit if my mate made a forward pass and it was not called (NZ vs. France in world cup 07). That is exactly why it would add flavour to the game. It can't be perfect, there must be some human error in calls occasionally!!!

Instead of having a quota, they could just at least have the international refs.

I don't think they should go for strictness per se though, but maybe having different ways of refeering the game, some refs being more prone to let the game flow despite some minor infringements as other ones love their whistle more than the game.
The fact that they can miss a high tackle, a spear tackle, a forward pass, etc... should be based on the refs and touch judges position on the field. If their field of vision is obstructed they can miss something (also on a cardable offence, it could go down as "did the refs see the player's number). In that way the ref should have his own AI instead of just having a "simple" foul detection by the engine. the refs should be flawed to reflect the reality, but not biased.
A Harshness factor could come into play, as some refs are more prone to go for a card than others

Some really good suggestions there mate!

This is a good idea, but first HB studios have to implements all the rules correctly before even bothering with a feature like this. And I would much rather see the addition of actually being able to make all the decisions in regards to the likes of kick off going out on the full, or kicking it dead in general play etc. I hate being automatically given a drop out when the ball is dead etc.

This is a good idea, but first HB studios have to implements all the rules correctly before even bothering with a feature like this.

I totally agree with that. First and foremost, the most important thing is to implement ALL of the IRB rules correctly.

I totally agree with that. First and foremost, the most important thing is to implement ALL of the IRB rules correctly.

First and formost make the game enjoyable to play...This idea is ridiculous why cant we just have refs that make the correct calls every time?

most people ***** so much when a ref makes a bad call calling for their head...and now people want to add this aspect into a video game which most people with 2 brain cells to rub together think will be utterly idiotic, annoying and do nothing whatsoever except **** people off no end ..

Yes please more correct rules, especially the ones involving the breakdown.

Latest posts