• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Reihana sticks with Northampton

B

Bullitt

Northampton Saints today announced that Bruce Reihana has re-affirmed his commitment by signing his fourth contract with the club.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The 33-year-old former All Black has been a Franklin's Gardens favourite since his arrival mid-way through the 2002/03 season. A two-time Northampton Saints Player of the Season, Reihana is also a former winner of the Premiership Overseas Player of the Year and PRA Players' Player of the Year.

Among the current Saints squad he is leading the way in appearances and points, with 198 appearances and 986 points and is in line to become just the fifth Saint to score 1,000 points in the black, green and gold.

Reihana lifted the European Challenge Cup in May 2009, and this season has received many plaudits for the back three combination he has formed with Ben Foden and Chris Ashton, something he says has made him feel in his early-twenties again.

"I'm just about old enough for them to be my sons - just about!" Reihana said. "It certainly inspires me to want to play well when they're at the top of their game. It pushes me harder too to help the team. The team are playing the type of rugby I like to play.

"One of the big reasons I decided to stay was that I've been through thick and thin with the club. I've chosen to stay twice when I could have gone elsewhere to try and help the club get back to where it should be. Now we are starting to get to where we should be and I want to be a part of what's ahead of us.

"I'm very settled in Northampton. I've been here for just over eight years and have been supported very well here. My decision to stay, and hopefully finish my career here, was because of the environment, the supporters, the team we have now and the direction we're going in. We could be on the receiving end of something great. It's been a long road, but an enjoyable one to get back to where we should be."

Director of rugby Jim Mallinder says that Reihana continues to set the example for the rest of the squad to follow.

"Bruce remains one of the squad's leaders and is an excellent professional," he said. "This season his standards of play have been outstanding and he has been one of our most potent strike weapons. He has also worked hard on every aspect of our game, and his long-range goal kicking turned several games in our favour earlier in the season.

"We have a young and developing squad and having experienced players like Bruce around is a big benefit to us. I'm very happy that he has signed on again with us."[/b]

http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/3831_6352.php

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I knew after i read it on the Saints site it'll be on here.

Im glad he want to stick, because Reihana really is part of the club now. to see him go would send the club downhill again. I would much rather prefer him as captain rather than Hartley but thats just me (or is it)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintDean @ Jan 26 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I knew after i read it on the Saints site it'll be on here.

Im glad he want to stick, because Reihana really is part of the club now. to see him go would send the club downhill again. I would much rather prefer him as captain rather than Hartley but thats just me (or is it)[/b]

Bruce is now synonomous with the Saints and shows loyalty as, I am sure, quite a few clubs would be looking at him.

When i think of Saints i think of his Green/Gold/Black scrum cap :p
Good on him to stay on

Latest posts