Relegation query

Dai Perk

Bench Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Scotland
Hey, friends,
As an American, this is my first experience with relegation in a league. It's making these last few weeks pretty intense, I have to admit!
When we look at the bottom six (the league is so tight, I actually think we have to consider that many teams) and make my predictions, here's what I end up with, projected:

Northampton 51
Wasps 48
Bears 43
Leicester 41
Worcester 41
Newcastle 38

If I'm wrong, and there are 2 teams tied for fewest points, how is it decided?

Thanks, y'all!

I think its done on number of points and then number of wins then if they have same wins and same points then it is done on points difference i believe.

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/league-tables/gallagher-premiership-league-table/

Gallagher Premiership Rugby League Rules

During Gallagher Premiership Rugby points will be awarded as follows:
• 4 points will be awarded for a win
• 2 points will be awarded for a draw
• 1 point will be awarded to a team that loses a match by 7 points or less
• 1 point will be awarded to a team scoring 4 tries or more in a match

In the case of equality at any stage of the Season, positions at that stage of the season shall be determined firstly by the number of wins achieved and then on the basis of match points differential. A Club with a larger number of wins shall be placed higher than a Club with the same number of league points but fewer wins.

If Clubs have equal league points and equal number of wins then a Club with a larger difference between match points "for" and match points "against" shall be placed higher in the Premiership League than a Club with a smaller difference between match points "for" and match points "against".

Should two Clubs have the same number of league points and the same match points difference, the Club having scored more match points "for" shall be placed higher in the Premiership League than the Club having the lesser number of match points "for".

If the above does not establish different Premiership League positions then the Club in the higher position shall be the Club that has achieved the higher aggregate match points scored by it in the same season against the other Club.

If this still does not establish the position then the Club who has won the most matches, excluding its first Premiership League match of the season, then its second Premiership League match and so on, until it can be established which the higher placed Club is.

Interesting stuff! Makes me curious, what is the most tie-breakers they've had to go to in history? My guess is it's never gotten past points differential, but imagine if it came all the way down to the last bit, the number of games won after the first that season? One fan base would be SO ******. :)

Article in The Times today about the ease with which London Irish have got back to be promoted, they are given a £4.5M pay from PRL which is nearly double even the most well subsidised team in the Championship.
For how long do we have to understand that there is already a closed shop with the 13 teams and 'doing an Exeter' is almost impossible now, without a multi-millionaire using the sport for his folly, there would be no return on the investment.
Forget promotion and have a 14 team league playing in exactly the same way as Pro14, (maybe reduce to 20 games).

Article in The Times today about the ease with which London Irish have got back to be promoted, they are given a £4.5M pay from PRL which is nearly double even the most well subsidised team in the Championship.
For how long do we have to understand that there is already a closed shop with the 13 teams and 'doing an Exeter' is almost impossible now, without a multi-millionaire using the sport for his folly, there would be no return on the investment.
Forget promotion and have a 14 team league playing in exactly the same way as Pro14, (maybe reduce to 20 games).

Im not sure thats totally fair on Ealing, especially given that they could still finish top with only 2 games to go, unlikely as that is.

Im not sure thats totally fair on Ealing, especially given that they could still finish top with only 2 games to go, unlikely as that is.
Very unlikely unleass LIrish lose to the team in 12th. If they did though it could go down to the Lirish vs Ealing match for promotion.

Highly unlikely, think Irish have already started the process for next year, recruiting high level players, and new stadium much more local to support.
My personal opinion is that they should have got RFU, PRL and Pro14 on board to move to Pro14. PRL would then have 12 shareholders, Pro14 have a base in London, the only losers would be RFU as they are a team based in England.

Highly unlikely, think Irish have already started the process for next year, recruiting high level players, and new stadium much more local to support.
My personal opinion is that they should have got RFU, PRL and Pro14 on board to move to Pro14. PRL would then have 12 shareholders, Pro14 have a base in London, the only losers would be RFU as they are a team based in England.

I know its highly unlikely, i even said so myself. But your post made it sound like Irish romped home-they didnt (havent). Ealing have given them a run for their money, and deserve credit for that.

I know its highly unlikely, i even said so myself. But your post made it sound like Irish romped home-they didnt (havent). Ealing have given them a run for their money, and deserve credit for that.
I understand that, but Ealing have a millionaire spending his money to do so. Without that backing, like the rest of the clubs, have no chance at all.

Don't see why the RFU and PRL would agree to let the Pro 14 have a share in the London market.
It'd be really stupid, especially with a club like London Irish, imagine all the tours to Ireland that would create for the juvenile teams and the increase of interest in the pro 14.

I understand that, but Ealing have a millionaire spending his money to do so. Without that backing, like the rest of the clubs, have no chance at all.
Maybe we should I ckmoutvallnths club with millionaire owners/backers, and ting fence what's left?

I could get behind that actually. Ring fence absolutely nobody, and let the rest play in a meritocracy

Maybe we should I ckmoutvallnths club with millionaire owners/backers, and ting fence what's left?

I could get behind that actually. Ring fence absolutely nobody, and let the rest play in a meritocracy
I know all the Prem teams have sugar daddies, but this business plan is unsustainable, by ring fencing, proper investment can be made to ensure the product is the best in the world.
As you can see I am a Sarries fan, and I am not liking the way they are circumventing the salary cap atm, but all the time there is no clarity in the system then it will happen.
Look at the NFL, all salaries and bonuses are in the public domain.

So why should the current "we're at the top, thanks to a sugar daddy" get priority, in perpetuity, over future "we want to get to the tips, by sugar daddy if necessary".

Sorry, but ringfencing us a despicable idea in sport, which is supposed to be entirely meritocratic. The fact that the deck is stacked means we should be looking to make it fairer, not draw up the bridge and refuse to let anyone else even try to play.

Yes, "doing an Exeter" is rare, but that means we should be looking at ways to make it less rare, not saying that it's rare, so should be made impossible.
Not all the prem teams.
That's why I included those with rich backers, not just benefactors (though I'm not sure current situation at LIrish or Newcastle).

Chiefs is a success story, but so is bristol. First season theyve not only managed to stay up, they are current in a position where it wouldnt be unthinkable for them to get top 6 how ever unlikely. Im undecided on ring fencing i mean ive enjoyed the bottom of the table clash as much as ive enjoyed chiefs taking a decent lead. But is all too often team down team up. Then they just switch back because one isnt good enough to stay up and one is too good for the league below.

The team that comes up buys loads of foreign players as it needs a quick fix to stay up which still doesnt always work. And the team going down can lose its top players and can be in the same position of having to go over seas to get players to replace the ones they lost when going back up.

Look at the NFL, all salaries and bonuses are in the public domain
As an American, this is still something I find incomprehensible... how can we not know how much players make? Do the players even know? How is it kept secret?

Doesn't impact my enjoyment of the games, obviously, but wtf?

As an American, this is still something I find incomprehensible... how can we not know how much players make? Do the players even know? How is it kept secret?

Doesn't impact my enjoyment of the games, obviously, but wtf?
I think there is one specific word in your comment that sums up why ring fencing is needed.
Enjoyment - we are choosing to watch professional rugby union and pay our hard earned cash on it, instead of going to the cinema or other artistic endeavours. Therefore we want to see a product where the excitement is in the skills and not in the fear of being relegated from the league.
Also, there is a need to develop the players, so we also need a good geographical spread of teams to help find and develop them. For example, if Newcastle go down, then Sale will be the most Northerly team and vast swathes of the country, including the whole of Yorkshire will be missing from the development structure.

Very insightful thoughts, my friend, thanks for that!

I'm actually loving the relegation battle, but that may be its newness to me... in fact, knowing Bristol just came up, if they'd gone right back down, I'd likely have a very different taste in my mouth about it, but it truly makes these last few weeks more exciting... :)

Latest posts