• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RFU V PRL THE BIG ONE!!!!! (AKA Old farts in Blazers v Greedy money men)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/r...RUGBY-WAR-Premiership-threaten-split-RFU.html

Over ring-fencing the league.

PRL want to ring fence it as the Championship is ****, RFU says it won't let that happen so PRL who want to make sure they make money are threatening to leave the agreement.

Hmm. Just a few years ago, Exeter Chiefs were in this shite Championship, and won promotion to the Premiership. How are they going these days? Where do they sit on the table?

Ring Fencing is a really dumb, dumb idea. Its a great way to ruin your sport.

Just imagine what would happen if the EPL tried to ring-fence their Premiership - there would open revolt and rivers of blood.

Exeter are the exception not the rule. When looking at data you always look to remove the exceptions.

None of Leeds, London Welsh, Bristol (I cant think of any others), have cemented themselves a place.

I don't know what the answer is but maybe a two tier system or something because at the moment it's not working.

Hmm. Just a few years ago, Exeter Chiefs were in this shite Championship, and won promotion to the Premiership. How are they going these days? Where do they sit on the table?

Ring Fencing is a really dumb, dumb idea. Its a great way to ruin your sport.

Just imagine what would happen if the EPL tried to ring-fence their Premiership - there would open revolt and rivers of blood.

1 team in how many?
You can't compare the Football championship to the Rugby ones. Most championship teams currently do not have the structure to support prem budget and costs.

Most have plans that make it viable in say 6 or so years
Coventry and Pirates have both got new stadium plannings in the works.

But I don't want to see more clubs go like Welsh because they have one good season in the champ get promoted and they ruin the entire club just because of one dream to stay in the prem.

Thankfully, and however much the PRL like to think they are, the Premiership is nothing like the Premier League.

PRL want to ring fence it as the Championship is ****, RFU says it won't let that happen so PRL who want to make sure they make money are threatening to leave the agreement.

So if the RFU tell them to do one, and the PRL walk - what will the average punter on the street do?

Continue to follow their club? (regardless of affiliation?)

Abandon following the game?

Change allegiance to another local RFU affiliated club? (if they previously supported a PRL club)

Promotion worked out well for chiefs but it literally killed London Welsh.

Continue to follow their club? (regardless of affiliation?)
Yes,
Many of these clubs are older than the international game, people won't just give up on a side they've supported all their lives.

I would still keep supporting Leicester.

I know the International game is more important, but I have invested more hours into the club game soooo.

This argument has always been going to rear it's ugly head, and no surprise that CVC would want this pushed.
It is, and always has been an utterly stupid idea. I am 100% with the RFU on this issue.

I would seriously consider dropping support of any Prem club if they get their way.

Promotion worked out well for chiefs but it literally killed London Welsh.
It wasn't promotion that killed LWelsh, it was appalling and deliberate mid-match.
Accepting promotion when they couldn't afford it (it's not compulsory after all). Spending money they didn't have whilst alienating pretty much anyone with a connection to the club.
Management wasn't just incompetent, but malicious.

This argument has always been going to rear it's ugly head, and no surprise that CVC would want this pushed.

Aye-aye-gallery-1.jpg

1 team in how many?
You can't compare the Football championship to the Rugby ones. Most championship teams currently do not have the structure to support prem budget and costs.

Most have plans that make it viable in say 6 or so years
Coventry and Pirates have both got new stadium plannings in the works.

But I don't want to see more clubs go like Welsh because they have one good season in the champ get promoted and they ruin the entire club just because of one dream to stay in the prem.

The answer is a relatively simple one, though probably a bit complicated to actually implement, and comes in three parts

Part 1. In order to win promotion, not only does the club have to win the Championship, they also have to meet a minimum set of financial and organisational criteria. This would include
a. A PRL/RFU approved business plan for the next five years.
b. Minimum standards for their facilities and stadium, or a PRL/RFU approved plan to meet those minimum standards

Part 2. A club that meets all the criteria is promoted to the Premiership, and is immune from relegation for their first season.

Part 3. If the Championship winning club is unable to meet these criteria, the runner-up team/losing grand finalist is offered the promotion on the same terms.

The answer is a relatively simple one, though probably a bit complicated to actually implement, and comes in three parts

Part 1. In order to win promotion, not only does the club have to win the Championship, they also have to meet a minimum set of financial and organisational criteria. This would include
a. A PRL/RFU approved business plan for the next five years.
b. Minimum standards for their facilities and stadium, or a PRL/RFU approved plan to meet those minimum standards

Part 2. A club that meets all the criteria is promoted to the Premiership, and is immune from relegation for their first season.

Part 3. If the Championship winning club is unable to meet these criteria, the runner-up team/losing grand finalist is offered the promotion on the same terms.
Apart from no relegation dont we have that already?

Didnt Exeter complain that they had to bring their facilities up to Premier standard then went to Wasps whos ground at the time would have failed most of those standards.

Also it was a big thing when London Welsh won promotion because initally they didnt meet the standards for Promotion but enough people complained and they came up only to be relegated and ruined in the process.

We were getting fined out of the wazzoo every year because Edgley Park didn't meet like 3 different criteria

Isn't this just another **** stirring nothing article from the Daily Fail. More an idea that was floated than seriously being considered.

Latest posts