• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rhys Webb in Welsh Squad for England game?

dai_seven

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
Before the squad is announced, I was wondering what others thought of this idea.
Warren Gatland is not scared to put players into internationals with little rugby playing time behind them (Liam Williams and Dan Lydiate spring to mind)
I think he could be in the squad, and probably on the bench with a view to starting him for the Italy game. Really unfair on Gareth Davies as he has done nothing wrong and loads right through the World Cup and into the 6N.

He won't (and shouldn't) start ahead of Davies, though I can see him being on the bench maybe.

He's looked good in the last couple of ospreys games. Still not sure he's had enough game time to warrant a call up just yet though!

Gareth Davies has done a lot right. His threat around the fringes is great to see, and his pace is a real asset. However I think he needs to work hard on his decision making at international level, because it's probably cost us a few try's. That great break v Francr came to nothing, because he made the wrong decision by kicking the ball instead of passing it.

Personally I'd welcome Webb's return to the match day squad. At his best he's a real asset. He usually returns to form very quickly after injury as well. England would hate to see him come onto the pitch in the latter stages of the match, when the forwards legs are tiring, especially considering gis try scoring stats.

Before the squad is announced, I was wondering what others thought of this idea.
Warren Gatland is not scared to put players into internationals with little rugby playing time behind them (Liam Williams and Dan Lydiate spring to mind)
I think he could be in the squad, and probably on the bench with a view to starting him for the Italy game. Really unfair on Gareth Davies as he has done nothing wrong and loads right through the World Cup and into the 6N.

i agree, bench for england, start against italy. the only way i can see that changing is if he is absolutely on fire for the ospreys this weekend, i forgot how much better his passing is compared to davies, his dummy passes for snipes are alot more convincing too.

Good player. Well worth having on the bench if his fitness is OK.

Overall i think Webb is a better decision maker, and thats what had him ahead of Davies in the first place. Davies seems to be butchering opportunities of late and i wonder if its an air of complaceny - believing in his own well-deserved hype. Certainly having Webb back will give him a real kick in the arse because if he does not perform on Saturday and Webb comes on to do well, he just might lose his place altogether.
Wales suffer in crucial areas with a lack of viable 'opposition' for the shirt. Biggar is nailed on because Priestland is simply not at his level, and wont get there (the same with Anscombe). Liam Williams is doing well considering his injury but how much better might he do with Lee Halfpenny on the bench? The same for Roberts and Davies with a fit Scott Williams. How much better could Biggar et al be if Sam Davies and Matthew Morgan were brought into the squad. They are easily good enough but neither are 50 stone monoliths sadly, so Gatland steers clear.
Webb on the bench should see Davies up his game, thats for sure.

Lloyd Williams might feel harshly done by, but it shows strength in depth and fosters a competitive environment. Yes, I think Webb will be on the bench. It would be very harsh (and potentially disruptive) to drop Davies - but I think he has appeared a little cocky on occasions (or maybe that's how a scrum half should be..?). True, he has wasted a couple of good chances, but he has played well overall.

Hopefully Webb's inclusion will ultimately have the desired effect(s). I would keep Davies in the starting XV for Italy as well - no point messing him around - and then let them both (plus the others) fight for places in the summer games.

I do really like the idea of a fresh Webb with a point to prove, coming on and running at any tired England forwards.

Be good to see his partnership with Biggar re-united as well, as they do work very well together.

The silver lining of Webb's injury has obviously been that Davies has had a chance to shine. He still has some stuff to work on obviously, but as others have said, that competition between the two is only going to drive the two to better heights. It's a very good situation for Wales to have!

How much better could Biggar et al be if Sam Davies and Matthew Morgan were brought into the squad. They are easily good enough but neither are 50 stone monoliths sadly, so Gatland steers clear.

I think that's a bit unfair towards Gatland. There's no denying that he likes having some bulk in the backline, but he has been fully prepared to select the smaller players when merited.

Shane was obviously a crucial part of the team pre retirement and Halfpenny has been a mainstay despite not being the biggest. He was prepared to give Matthew Morgan and Jordan Williams a chance, but Morgan's involvement for Bristol has been minimal lately, and Jordan has fallen completely out of favour at the Scarlets. Gats tried for a long time to get Eli Walker game time, but injury has hampered that, bar one game in the WC warmups. It's still a little early for Sam Davies + it would leave the O's really struggling at 10.

I think that this criticism of Gatland is somewhat (not wholly though) unfounded. It just happens that we have produced some rather large backline players during Gatlands reign, mainly in the shape of Roberts, North and Cuthbert. I think Morgan's opportunities will increase once he returns to top flight rugby with the Blues, and Sam Davies' chance will come in time.

Edit. I do hope we haven't seen the last of Jordan Williams in top flight rugby. I still rate him as one of the most talented attacking players I've seen.

Last edited:

Latest posts