• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ring fencing premiership and championship

I don't see why people can't understand domestic games and european games, even as a casual fan. The concept is pretty simple and works fine in football. Maybe they'll have less understanding of who are the best european teams, but that's not a major drawback. The big issue you've pointed to is playing club games on international days. It robs clubs of their best players and while a good opportunity for younger players, it does take away from the spectacle. That's why a 10 team league with reduced fixtures can then maybe rest players during international breaks and with the new premiership cup, still develop younger players.
With football it is easier.
In the main
Weekends, domestic
Mid week Europe

Rugby cannot do this as all played at weekend.

With football it is easier.
In the main
Weekends, domestic
Mid week Europe

Rugby cannot do this as all played at weekend.
Ok I kind of get that and yes football has more supporters, but rugby has to work with what it's got and it certainly can't afford European games mid-week. Maybe better communication with fans is the answer.

Ok I kind of get that and yes football has more supporters, but rugby has to work with what it's got and it certainly can't afford European games mid-week. Maybe better communication with fans is the answer.
Exactly, more promotion of the game, but would be easier if competitions were in blocks.

Exactly, more promotion of the game, but would be easier if competitions were in blocks.
Still think it needs some break up. Maybe something like 3rd of the domestic season, then all the qualifying of the premiership cup (I assume it has a group stage) then all the qualifying of Europe, then 2nd third of the domestic season, final of premiership cup, knockouts of Europe and then rest of season.

Dunno, would need URC and Top 14 to get on board too really.

I feel like Europe is easy to understand because you are usually playing a team from other leagues so it's glaringly obvious. But when the prem cup is just the same teams (up until next year) in a different competition it can be really confusing.

Wasps, Worcester and London Irish handed lifeline talks to include them in new 'Premiership 2'

Exclusive: A restructuring of the game below the Premiership could see the three clubs back in the second tier by the 2025-26 season

Seems a big ask considering the clubs exist in name only - no stadia (barring Sixways, which will likely have been repurposed by then), no coaches, no players

Two seasons to sort that, I guess, but still seems a gamble - guessing they're banking on historical fans returning rather than putting the same efforts into growing current Champ sides

I hope "Prem 2" is more than just a name and sees actual improvement in the 2nd tier (advertising, tv deal, social media presence etc.etc.etc. - the bare minimum you'd expect from a professional sports league), but I'm not optimistic tbh

I'm quite optimistic TBH
I think that more people from outside the PRL are going to get involved.
Might see some new blood.

"The most likely pathway would involve a move to a franchise system that will see clubs able to gain entry if they can prove they meet a revised minimum standards criteria that goes beyond having a stadium with a capacity of 10,000 but is also likely to include levels of support, strength of brand name, size of social media following and a long-term vision for growth."

Makes more sense Rugby finally seeing that maybe the stadium size isn't important it's a club potential to generate support.
Although what brand do Worcester have?
Personally would rather see a Birmingham club get more backing than Worcester (No offence Worcester fans)

Current 10 prem teams in Prem 1
Prem 2 have
Oxford based Wasps
London Irish
Ealing
Jersey
Cornish Pirates
Doncaster
London Scottish
Bedford Blues
Coventry
Birmingham Warriors

Slight worry about the amount of midlands clubs, Nottingham should be in it also really. (On potential it has more than Bedford)
But IMO if the RFU want growth it needs to spread it out somewhat.

Birmingham, Leeds, Southampton, Liverpool are all cities that it's crazy don't have a team in the top two leagues.

Aren't the midlands to English rugby what the south of France is to French rugby. Gotta play to play to your strengths.

Aren't the midlands to English rugby what the south of France is to French rugby. Gotta play to play to your strengths.

I mean 2 midlands clubs went out of business recently also.
Bedford average this season 2,853
Coventry average this season 2,499
Nottingham average this season 1,130

IDK I just don't see Rugby supporting
Leicester
Northampton
Bedford
Coventry
Nottingham
Worcester
Professionally.

Trouble is and what Wasps found hard IMO, most supporters in the areas have their teams now.

They need to find new areas to start trying to build around. Ones with teams not really "Local" to them.

Half the problem with that is loads of rugby clubs in an area doesn't necessarily mean loads of rugby support because the clubs play the same times as the professional teams.

I would also say that there is probably more rugby played in the south East and West than the Midlands

Half the problem with that is loads of rugby clubs in an area doesn't necessarily mean loads of rugby support because the clubs play the same times as the professional teams.

I would also say that there is probably more rugby played in the south East and West than the Midlands
That is why many people have suggested to move pro games to Fridays or Sundays and offer discounted tickets to local clubs.

That is why many people have suggested to move pro games to Fridays or Sundays and offer discounted tickets to local clubs.
Yeah Sunday afternoons would work. Parents take their kids to mini/junior rugby in the morning then go to the Tigers game in the afternoon

top 14 plays a lot of games at 8/9 at night local time. They've figured out to not have the local village game at the same time as the pros. Idk how the English would feel about prime time games (I hate them here in America) but it's working in France.

Agreed, having pro games the same time as amateur games is just sheer stupidity.

Not playing the amateur game the same time as the professional one is a smart step that rugby won't do because the rfu etc are asleep at the wheel.
Given the soccer TV embargo on Saturday afternoon kick-offs, I disagree entirely. Rugby should be trying to establish itself as the sport to watch on TV on a Saturday afternoon.

Not playing the amateur game the same time as the professional one is a smart step that rugby won't do because the rfu etc are asleep at the wheel.
have to say, its problem everywhere

i still have only watched a small amount of the super rugby final from saturday, kick off was 5:05pm AUS time (7:05 NZ)....our club game doesn't finish till 5:15...plus packing up the field etc, got to the club rooms just before 6 (players didn;t make it till well after 6)...we put it on delayed but the second you look at your phone you see the score

Just seems so stupid its so hard for actual rugby fans to watch rugby!

I think it's a big reason European sport has become so popular in America. Wake up, watch the 8am and 10am kickoffs, then go to your youth sports/get wasted at a vineyard.

Given the soccer TV embargo on Saturday afternoon kick-offs, I disagree entirely. Rugby should be trying to establish itself as the sport to watch on TV on a Saturday afternoon.
So is the mission to get people watching it at home or people going to the ground because currently Rugby is struggling with both.

Latest posts