• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RIP Diego Maradona

Like this guy getting crucified for taking a photo next to his open coffin? He's getting death threats over it.

Icons and celebrities, who die will always be judged by the living, maybe the timing issue is not palatable for all who that individual meant a lot to.
Unless he disappears for a while and people forget about him, there is a reasonable chance he will be ostracized, at best.
Let me say it loud and clear: the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Icons and celebrities, who die will always be judged by the living, maybe the timing issue is not palatable for all who that individual meant a lot to.
Thanks. There are plenty of examples. I don't recall people talking about Gandhi's racism when he died. Nor mother Theresa of indoctrinating thousands of kids. Nor about Diana's dating a drug addict/dealer and her anorexia. Even when Michael Jackson died i don't recall most people talking about his problems.
I can imagine the rage of some while reading the above "how dare you compare him with Ghandi and mother Theresa?!". Thing is, to a lot of people, he was even more important. He really, truly was. You can find the reason why they felt that way silly, even ridiculous, i sometimes do too, but that is how people feel about him.

The funeral is not about the person who died. It is the beginning of a process through which others who loved him get closure and say goodbye.
People have every right to bring up whatever they want about the person, but you have to be a special kind of piece of **** to do it at that moment.

And again, i'd say 99% of what you are posting here i said and will probably say when i talk about him with other Argentines. Just not now. And again, i am in now way saying you cant say those things. Course you can. I am saying that that freedom of speech goes both ways.

And what i am asking for appears to be the norm, too. Englands footie asoc and teams from leeds to manchester city did outstanding things to honour him.
I think the best statement of my argument here is 1986's national team and England's footie asoc reaction. Most of them were gracious, some quiet, and yes, you always have a cvnt if the group is large enough. But he gets pointed out.

And this means in no way that once he died you cant criticize him anymore. Course you can. Just give the people who cared about him time to whipe their tears off their cheeks.

I mean, look at what you did. You showed a collection of fond memories of him. You didn't have to, but i am pretty sure the timing compelled you a bit.
I for one, appreciate that.

I think it's worse when the deceased in question is wrapped up in the national identity of the country in question. There is a massive outpouring of grief in that country.

It's been 23 years since Diana's death, but it was one of those which you remember where you were, when they heard the news. There was the same outpouring of grief on the news and media and massive blame put on the paparazzi press at the time. And looking back now and reading more into the incident it's missed/not talked about that had she worn her seatbelt she would most likely have survived, like her body guard sitting next to her, who put his on when he realised the driver was driving too fast and as it turned out drunk.

Even now, they are dragging up that interview with Martin Bashir and how he got the interview.

Last edited:
Really? Throwing jabs? Don't flatter yourself
Yes, really.
You haven't answered the questions. Conveniently.
You dont have to, course, but we both know you would if you had an answer that made any sense at all.

I think it's worse when the deceased in question is wrapped up in the national identity of the country in question. There is a massive outpouring of grief in that country.

It's been 23 years since Diana's death, but it was one of those which you remember where you were, when they heard the news. There was the same outpouring of grief on the news and media and massive blame put on the paparazzi press at the time. And looking back now and reading more into the incident it's missed/not talked about that had she worn her seatbelt she would most likely have survived, like her body guard sitting next to her, who put his on when he realised the driver was driving too fast and as it turned out drunk.

Even now, they are dragging up that interview with Martin Bashir and how he got the interview.
The Diana thing was just a licence to print money for the press. They made a big deal out of it to divert any criticism coming their way and to make money.

If you are in the public eye you get judged in life and death. Maradona was a nasty piece of work who happened to be a gifted footballer. You cannot just praise him for one thing and leave out the other.

Never understood the whole national mourning thing. People crying for somebody they never knew and then attacking people who couldn't care less, glad I was out of country on operations when the whole Diana thing was going on.