• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RL2 on PC

L

locksley

Just got my PS2 pad working on my PC so I'm finally going to give the PC version of RL2 a proper go.

Menu's are a lot smoother and faster than the PS2 version, and animation fps seem to be much better, however, I'll play a couple of games and make my mind up then.

Anyone online fancy a game then?

Ive played on both ps2 and pc, and i have to say that the ps2 version is a dog, just the step up in graphics and smoothness on pc makes it sooo much more playable. Unfortunatly though, without a controller its impossible to play, so its good that youll get to hav a crack now, and maybe enjoy it a bit more than the embarrasmet of a ps2 version.

Originally posted by CeeJay@Jan 8 2006, 11:40 AM
Ive played on both ps2 and pc, and i have to say that the ps2 version is a dog, just the step up in graphics and smoothness on pc makes it sooo much more playable. Unfortunatly though, without a controller its impossible to play, so its good that youll get to hav a crack now, and maybe enjoy it a bit more than the embarrasmet of a ps2 version.
Absolutely, and because of the higher resolution, frame rate etc, the player control feels smoother, the players are more visible and as such it is easy to see who you are passing to on any angle and there is no lag with every splash screen.

exactly, I can recognise my players at a glance, on the ps2 i couldnt even tell their skin colour.

Well, that's my lot for tonight.

The difference in PC and PS2 versions is phenomenal. The frame rate is smoother, the graphics are fantastic, the menus are lightening fast. Hell, even creating a player is a joy on the PC thanks to the keyboard.

Still, all's said and done, I have to say that I still didn't feel fully in control of my players again. Tackling is still shoddy and running with the ball to take on the defence get's you nowhere. Admittedly, it's far superior to the PS2 version and there is a tiny bit of extra control there. This is mostly due to the silky smooth frame rate though. I must also say that I played the game using all camera angles and due to the hi-res graphics, I think the "High" cam is perfect for planning your attacks cos you can see your receievers perfectly. The High cam on Ps2 was awful because of the horrible low-res graphics so it never got used.

I tried the online mode and couldn't connect for some reason. First it was freezing, but that was due to the firewall not letting it through. After a couple of hard resets, that was sorted. When I finally did connect, it kept telling me there was an error with the server and wouldn't let me connect. After the fifth time of reading that message, I gave up and went back to single player mode.

I know one thing, if I do play RL2 again it'll definitely be on the PC and not PS2.... either that or wait for the Xbox version, with updated squads, kits etc to come out in a couple of months time
<

I know what you mean, the gripes are still there, but they're not quite as glaring as on the PS2 version are they? If only they had the sense to have multiple control set ups (if it really was that difficult to have a button configuration option) it would have been perfect.

Originally posted by locksley@Jan 8 2006, 01:31 PM
Well, that's my lot for tonight.

The difference in PC and PS2 versions is phenomenal. The frame rate is smoother, the graphics are fantastic, the menus are lightening fast. Hell, even creating a player is a joy on the PC thanks to the keyboard.

Still, all's said and done, I have to say that I still didn't feel fully in control of my players again. Tackling is still shoddy and running with the ball to take on the defence get's you nowhere. Admittedly, it's far superior to the PS2 version and there is a tiny bit of extra control there. This is mostly due to the silky smooth frame rate though. I must also say that I played the game using all camera angles and due to the hi-res graphics, I think the "High" cam is perfect for planning your attacks cos you can see your receievers perfectly. The High cam on Ps2 was awful because of the horrible low-res graphics so it never got used.

I tried the online mode and couldn't connect for some reason. First it was freezing, but that was due to the firewall not letting it through. After a couple of hard resets, that was sorted. When I finally did connect, it kept telling me there was an error with the server and wouldn't let me connect. After the fifth time of reading that message, I gave up and went back to single player mode.

I know one thing, if I do play RL2 again it'll definitely be on the PC and not PS2.... either that or wait for the Xbox version, with updated squads, kits etc to come out in a couple of months time
<
I felt the same when I tried the PC after playing the PS2. You think wow this is loads better, but once you get accustomed to the better frame rate of the pc you again lose all sense of control over your players.

It really is fundamentally the same game and the lack of control will become more and more evident the more you play the PC.

Its better than the PS2 of that there is no doubt. Who knows you may be able to forgive it enough on the PC to become a regular user ?

Latest posts