• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RO'G to Retire

A true legend for Ireland & Munster. Best of luck with whatever you do in the future ROG, thanks for all the memories.

Despite being completely off pace since sometime around 2011/10 you cannot deny he was absolutely immense for Ireland and Munster a real hero of the game in the country summarized by the drop goal in the GS. He may not of been the best running fly-half and might be a bit of a dick of a person (so i've heard) hes done Ireland well not so much in the last 2/3 years but his career between 2000 and 2009 was one to be proud of.

So farewell ROG best of luck.

Nothing decided yet lads. He plans on going in to coaching and has an offer from overseas as player coach so he's weighing up options as is Dougie and will decide in week. He may well just retire but nothing confirmed yet and Conor George is journalist reporting this which every other site jumped on. Advise don't believe Conor George immediately

Didn't realize it was George anyway at least for when he dose retire I can just copy paste.

can we send him to be the new all blacks defence coach?

Can I just say that he has been a marvellous player, in his time, and the World, not just Munster or Ireland, will remember him as one of the great players of all time.

I can only hope that he has a long, enjoyable and fruitful retirement from playing and in what ever field he plans to undertake.

Thanks and Good luck Ronan!

Well as a Saffa, who still has a bit of bad taste in the mouth for that Paul Honiss: "yeah talk to the guys"-debacle, I don't have much love for Mr. O'Gara.

That being said, he provided very much joy to my life in the 2nd B&I Lions test at Loftus in 2009. he dropped that ball right in front of me...

He did however had a long illustrious career, and I take my hat off to him, for doing the stellar job he did for Ireland all the years before...

It's quite sad that ROG may be retiring, Stephen Jones has retired, and Wilkinson may be a year out from retiring. Love or hate each of them, they were the first-choice NH fly-halves for the better part of a decade.

Whatever his detractors may say he was a great player at at some stages a great player. I hope he does retire and he probably should have a year or to ago his reputation doesn't need any more tarnishing.

Is he retiring immediately? If so it seems odd why not finish off this weekend against Zebre and go out on a winning note.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ur6ze5icKnA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I presume it's at the end of he season.

He contributed his part. Ireland has some class act flyhalfs so the future looks promising.

Is he retiring immediately? If so it seems odd why not finish off this weekend against Zebre and go out on a winning note.
As game means so little I doubt we'll field a strong team and ROG I think is unlikely to decide before the weekend. Also if it were in Thomond/Musgrave he may have played but in Italy it's not the same way to go out.

Can I just say whatever ye think of ROG in general play his kicking game has been 1 of the best in the world for the last decade.

Legend, one of my favorite players. I'm really sorry that he will not play another season.

been a long time coming...he should've done it a while ago perhaps. He's still got some of course, but the rest suuuure is gone...
Was it against Scotland in the 6N, that kick pass setting up a Scot for the try basically ? :lol:

A true legend for Ireland & Munster. Best of luck with whatever you do in the future ROG, thanks for all the memories.

Legend? Really? The same guy who was crap in every Lions tour, Rugby World Cup he played in and yet he is considered a legend by some deluded fans. And of course the deluded man himself.

Despite being completely off pace since sometime around 2011/10 you cannot deny he was absolutely immense for Ireland and Munster a real hero of the game in the country summarized by the drop goal in the GS. He may not of been the best running fly-half and might be a bit of a dick of a person (so i've heard) hes done Ireland well not so much in the last 2/3 years but his career between 2000 and 2009 was one to be proud of.

Can I just say that he has been a marvellous player, in his time, and the World, not just Munster or Ireland, will remember him as one of the great players of all time.

You serious? He wasn't even a great in his own era never mind all time. As has been mentioned before, if you were to rank the Tier 1 fly halves of the last decade. He would be right down the list, he's not even Ireland's best fly half of his era. More on a level with Federico Todeschini or Andy Goode. And that's just in his era, "great players of all time" is just pure and utter rubbish. A player who was awful in 3 Lions tours, 3 Rugby World Cups is not one of the "great players of all time".

Whatever his detractors may say he was a great player at at some stages a great player. I hope he does retire and he probably should have a year or to ago his reputation doesn't need any more tarnishing.

BG8. Disregarding the joke of his last year or so (which notably hasn't happened to Wilkinson or Contepomi). He was never a great fly half. A pretty average one who just got incredibly lucky with circumstances.

Generally loved by casual rugby fans, and new fans who see him with points and don't understand what allows him to kick and chip his way through his career.

been a long time coming...he should've done it a while ago perhaps. He's still got some of course, but the rest suuuure is gone...
Was it against Scotland in the 6N, that kick pass setting up a Scot for the try basically ? :lol:

diapo90c196bbf3cb2d779da998b415fea749.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts