• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Romanian Rugby

Timisoara won once again Super Liga; the match was very close one and any team could have emerged victorious.

In Bronze final the result was CSM Bucuresti 37 - 24 Steaua Bucuresti. A nice win by CSM after Steaua colapsed at the beginning of the second half. I'll post highlights as soon as they'll be available.

Regarding June tests, the squad called by Howells is the following:

PROPS:
Constantin Pristavita (Stiinta Baia Mare)
Alexandru Tarus (Sale Sharks)
Alexandru Gordas (CSA Steaua)
Andrei Ursache (Carcassonne)
Ionel Badiu (Carcassonne)

HOOKERS:
Eugen Capatana (Timisoara Saracens)
Otar Turashvili (Colomiers)
Andrei Radoi (Timisoara Saracens)

LOCKS:
Valentin Poparlan (Timisoara Saracens)
Johannes Van Heerden (Stiinta Baia Mare)
Marius Antonescu (Colomiers)
Andrei Iurea (Stiinta Baia Mare)

BACKROW:
Viorel Lucaci (CSA Steaua)
Andrei Gorcioaia (Massy)
Vlad Nistor (Albi)
Mihai Macovei (Colomiers)

SCRUM-HALVES:
Florin Surugiu (CSA Steaua )
Tudorel Bratu (CS Dinamo)

FLY-HALVES:
Florin Vlaicu (CSA Steaua)
Samoa Luke (Stiinta Baia Mare)

CENTERS:
Jack Umaga (Timisoara Saracens)
Florin Vladut Popa (Timisoara Saracens)
Paula Kinikinilau (CSM Bucuresti)
Sione Fakaosilea (Stiinta Baia Mare)

WINGS:
Ionut Dumitru (CSA Steaua)
Jack Cobden (CSM Bucuresti)
Tangimana Fonovai (Timisoara Saracens)

FULLBACK:
Sabin Stratila (CSA Steaua)

Howells:
- it's good that team will learn to adapt to a different timezone and environment
- some young players will have a chance to play
- Fercu will miss the tournament due to long fly time, especially when getting back home
- some young players will join the squad for the match vs Brazil

Finally, Sevens squad for Rugby Europe Men's Sevens Trophy from Ostrava (4-5 June) and Bucharest (17-18 June):

CSA Steaua: Eduard Bencea, Raoul Paxaman, Ionel Melinte, Robert Neagu, Denis Perju, Alexandru Porojan, Moyake Kuselo
CNOPT: Valerian Berbece
Rugby Club Barlad: Gabriel Rupanu
CSM Stiinta Baia Mare: Alexandru Bucur, Adrian Apostol
CS Dinamo: Ionut Balaban
Politehnica Iasi: Daniel Plai
ROC La Voulte – Valence: Julien Onutu
CSM Bucuresti: George Croitoru

Give me that trophy Heinkell! You are fired!

I'm sorry for Baia Mare. And a sign of a new heirarchy in Bucharest I think.

I think it is frustrating for Baia Mare after they defeated Timisoara this season two times but this happens due to their limits.

While they have probably the best coaching in forwards in the country, they really lack in coaching department for backs and I think they can't continue in same way of they want to improve, otherwise they'll stay behind Timisoara and probably CSM which improved seriously in only few weeks and I expect to be much better next season.

As for Oaks, very strong team there. I would have expected Perju (from Sevens) to be in XV squad, he was solid for Steaua at center.

Bronze final CSM Bucuresti 37 - 24 Steaua Bucuresti (highlights)

Super Liga final: CSM Stiinta Baia Mare 16 - 17 Timisoara Saracens (highlights):

Interesting news from Romanian club rugby:

Baia Mare: Apjock leaves the club after 14 years, both parties agreed a changed is needed. The new coach is George Sava (Poli Iasi) who is coming back to Baia Mare after 17 years.

Steaua: Coach Cristian Petre won't continue so they are looking for a new coach as well

CSM: Bradley most probably will leave for Zebre

Timisoara: Chester Williams was only a temporary solution so probably he'll need a new coach as well; I don't think Anesi will be head coach.

Poli Iasi: after losing Sava, one of the best assets of the club, they certainly need a good coach to deal with that young squad.

All this coaching change is not good news I don't think. Unless there is magically money for better coaches. Happy that Sava's achievement has been recognised even if Iasi form dipped as the season went on.

I enjoyed my first season of Romanian rugby and was impressed by how competitive the top four sides were by the end of the season. Baia Mare looked very unhappy on losing the ***le and I wonder if they will have as good a chance next year.

Hopefully the league moves more towards financial security rather than subsidy and hopefully getting Tier 1 tests in Bucharest in future years will increase the popularity of the sport.

Oaks seems to enjoy a lot this tour considering their facebook posts :D

Kudos to the hosts , this is an admirable welcome!

Marius Simionescu (fullback, Timisoara Saracens/Romania U20) completed the squad after Jack Umaga was unable to go on tour due to an injury.

Last edited:
Good news, Romania will have that extra voice within World Rugny now which could be very beneficial for them

With no commitments in the Challenge Cup this year and it being the last season when a new "project player" can qualify for residency in three years I don't think any Superliga side should be signing a foreign player who is not intended to be a "project player". Timisoara should be favourites to reach the playoffs of the Continental Shield with their current squad strength.

As much as I dislike "Project players" I hope the authorities identify suitable options for this final year before it becomes quite unfeasible. Tier1 nations have taken advantage of it for years so I hope Romania gets one or two more squad options for itself for the future to tide them over until their promising 18-21 year olds come of age.

It was only club's work with foreign players who gained right to represent Romania, I've never heard of "authorities" (FRR?) policy regarding transfers of players, they have no say in this.

It could be still feasible if you sign them younger, Timisoara was first which tried this.

It was only club's work with foreign players who gained right to represent Romania, I've never heard of "authorities" (FRR?) policy regarding transfers of players, they have no say in this.

It could be still feasible if you sign them younger, Timisoara was first which tried this.

Apologies. I would imagine the FRR would have involvement in identifying and/or encouraging possible project players like the Scottish and Welsh unions. I speculate.

I think we'll see very few players intentionally moving country with the aim of gaining residency in five years. Of course it will still happen if a player is happy they may stay in a country for five years, but the calculated decision of a player like Doneghan to spend three years in the Superliga to then play in a RWC I think will largely die. For a Union it almost becomes less of a hassle to just raise their own youth talent rather than guarantee a foreign player a starting position for half a decade and hope they don't get injured.

On a related note I saw your remark on Luke Samoa being free to leave Baia Mare after "3 years and 4 months". Is it possible he is now looking to earn more money in another league having just gained residency for Romania? If so he has played the system beautifully and nobody loses.

No need to apologies, it would be like FFR would say to French clubs what players to transfer. Our system doesn't resemble provincial one at all with central contracts and means of Union to influence the decision of provinces, we have a club based system. FRR have absolutely no say in what clubs are signing. FRR only picked from players who were signed during these years. The only thing they do is paying players when playing for NT; earnings for REC were quite good I heard.

Baia Mare said they are transfer listed him, not that he's free to go and those who want him have to discuss with the club. Here you're usually transfer listed when you don't perform. Another hypothesis is an interest from another club, as far as I know CSM Bucuresti wanted him 2 years ago. I've no idea, it is an odd statement as I read it in Romanian. Or they don't have enough money and want to get rid of some big contracts..

Last edited:

Latest posts