• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Romanian Rugby

Two tests for November announced by FRR:

18th: Samoa
25th: Tonga

For 11 November, still to be determined the 3rd opponent.

I know those fixtures are not Tier 1 but they are very competitive and give the opportunity for Romania to break into the top 13-15. I really hope the last game is a top 11 ranked side as Romania has done more than enough assistance to lower ranked sides in recent years.

A shame about Baia Mare as it sounds like financial issues. Hopefully not as severe as the ones Cluj and Iasi appeared to have earlier in the year.

Not sure is financial because they signed some players as well, maybe they're more tight but not like Iasi or Cluj.

Sava is a very different coach compared with Apjock so he may need other type of players.

Back to tests, I am looking at the schedule and teams who don't have a match on 11th are: Japan, Canada, Uruguay, Namibia.

There was a rumor these days we might play Hong Kong. If it is true, than it's really confusing.

Winner of second tier of Romanian rugby (Senior's National Division), Bucovina Suceava signed up for 2017-2018 Super Liga season.

Although its status is semi pro, there seem to be a willingness to promote. Not sure how much resources they have and if they'll bring new players but it seems there is a general effort there from local authorities, sponsors, volunteers, ex-players to support this promotion.

Poli Iasi, U Cluj and Bucovina Suceava are having financial issues and we shall see in one month what's the status, then King's Cup will commence.

Well, fingers crossed financial issues improve. 8 is a nice round figure. But only if that is 8 stable teams.

Does this mean the Kings Cup is moving back to the start of the season?

Yes, King's Cup will start in August with first phase than will stop probably in September when SL will kick-off. Than will re-start back in November. Since it's more of a development competition, it is not a problem that it will be played during Autumn tests.

I am unsure how Suceava will play in SL in last year, probably a semi-pro regime. But it would be nice if this will become a certainty, 8 teams would be great to have.

Hopefully Iasi, Cluj or Suceava now will have resources to sign players released by bigger clubs such as Samoa or Leiatua, certainly their experienced will prove useful.

He has a reasonable pedigree, better than Michael Bradley, but he hasn't coached in a decade!

He was rubbish at Scotland, but every coach would be rubbish with Scotland at that time as the available players were poor.

I can't comment on his Leinster years but on paper they seem reasonable. I'd say it is an ambitious signing by Timisoara and a good one for the Superliga.

It seems he didn't coached from 2012; he said he knew well Romanian national team but not the local competition and he likes the idea to build up a club; objective was set to qualify from Challenge Cup groups in 2020.

Timisoara Saracens made first moves:

Out:
Edmund Aholelei (prop)

In:
Luke Samoa (fullback/fly-half)
John Leiatua (center)
William Helu (wing/center)

Capatana (hooker) and Sheenan (wing) have long term injuries and they'll be out until winter time. Therefore they'll look to sign some frontrow players, this being imo the weakest spot of the team.

Last edited:
Timisoara Saracens made first moves:

Out:
Edmund Aholelei (prop)

In:
John Leiatua (center)
William Helu (wing/center)

Capatana (hooker) and Sheenan (wing) have long term injuries and they'll be out until winter time. Therefore they'll look to sign some frontrow players, this being imo the weakest spot of the team.

So much for my Luke Samoa conspiracy theory! Seems to me they will be heavily targeting the Continental Shield and a return to the Challenge Cup.

In:
John Leiatua (center)
William Helu

Will Helu he's been everywhere he can be a handy winger when not injured. But guess he fell out of favour with Tonga. Hope he does well over there.

If Sava is now coach of Baia Mare and Luke Samoa has left them would it not make sense for Plai to rejoin Sava at Baia Mare as flyhalf?

Few moves, but still rumors, not official:

Plai signed with Dinamo because it seems he is a supporter of this team since childhood and Iasi does have financial issues.

Few moves, but still rumors, not official:

Plai signed with Dinamo because it seems he is a supporter of this team since childhood and Iasi does have financial issues.

Dinamo could be good for Plai (and vice versa). If they keep their strong pack he will have more time on the ball to show what he can do and they may become less one dimensional. Who will Baia Mare play at 10?

Also happy to read that Tomani Constanta are being promoted to the second division even if they only finished third in the third division. The Superliga needs a side from that area.

It is an interesting read about this club and their complete focus on youth.

https://translate.googleusercontent...ocaru/&usg=ALkJrhgX6rV366JgUL86syDpPXqD5_6RLA

I think it's a very good signing by Dinamo but I'm not so happy that Iasi is losing players due to stupid local political quarrels and vanities. They have the money to continue in SL but somebody is playing hide and seek with decisions. I hope they'll sort out soon, one group of ex Iasi international players are lobbying for stability and will try to put an end to this uncertain period of time.

Dinamo might open their play now with a capable 10 and I am looking forward to see a combination of halves like Bratu - Plai.

Tomitanii finished 2nd in both Diviza A (3rd tier) and U20 championship ; they will continue with this policy of promoting their own players but so far there aren't clues about an re-establishment of a club like Farul used to be.

About Baia Mare, I think Maravunawasa Ratu will be the first choice at fly-half with G. Oprea (that tall fly-half you noticed some time ago, 23 yo) and Cubas (22 yo) covering this position.

They have also some young players that will see more game time now that Samoa and Leiatua left such as Lamboiu (19 yo, center), A. Bucur (22 yo, wing/fullback) or Taliauli (22 yo, wing) or in the pack as Iurea (21 yo flanker/lock), Cojocaru (20 yo, hooker), Chirica (20 yo, flanker). I also expect to see promoted to first team their players from last U20 generation.

Sava certainly likes to use young players and there is new rule that limit the number of foreigners to 8 and oblige clubs to field 3 under 23 players on the lineup of the match of 23 players.

LE:

Thought to explain you from where the name Tomitanii comes.

Tomis is the old Greek name of Constanta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constanța

They named themselves, in English, Tomitans

Last edited:

Latest posts