• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Romanian Rugby

I think we can have an Rugby Europe Championship thread, if I remember well was one last year as well.

Team who went to Madrid for match vs Spain:

Props:
Andrei Ursache (Carcassonne)
Ionel Badiu (Timisoara Saracens)
Mihaita Lazar (Castres)
Alexandru Tarus (Sale Sharks)

Hookers:
Andrei Radoi (Timisoara Saracens)
Florin Bardasu (Baia Mare)
Marian Capatana (Timisoara Saracens)

Locks:
Johannes Van Heerden (Stiinta Baia Mare)
Marius Antonescu (Colomiers)
Valentin Ursache (Oyonnax)
Valentin Poparlan (Timisoara Saracens)

Backrow:
Vlad Nistor (Albi)
Mihai Macovei (Colomiers)
Stelian Burcea (CSM Bucuresti)
Andrei Gorcioaia (Massy)

Scrum-half:
Florin Surugiu (CSA Steaua )
Tudorel Bratu (CS Dinamo)
Valentin Calafeteanu (CSM Bucuresti)

Fly-Halves:
Florin Vlaicu (CSA Steaua)

Centers:
Jack Umaga (Timisoara Saracens)
Paula Kinikinilau (CSM Bucuresti)
Sione Fakaosilea (Stiinta Baia Mare)

Wings:
Ionut Dumitru (CSA Steaua)
Tangimana Fonovai (Timisoara Saracens)
Stephen Shannan (Timisoara Saracens)

Fullback:
Catalin Fercu (Timisoara Saracens)

STAFF: Lynn Howells (Head Coach), Massimo Cuttitta (Forwards Coach), Rob Moffat (Backs Coach), Olivier Rieg (Conditioning)

Few players out, Coste (Carcassonne - lock), Boldor (Steaua - fly-half), Simionescu (Timisoara - fullback).

Now I think this is the usual rotation Howells is doing and we'll see some players back for next matches home vs Russia and Belgium and probably some of the players from this squad taking a break.

Last edited:
Team who went to Madrid for match vs Spain:

Props:
Andrei Ursache (Carcassonne)
Mihaita Lazar (Castres)

Hookers:
Florin Bardasu (Baia Mare)

Locks:
Valentin Ursache (Oyonnax)

Backrow:
Vlad Nistor (Albi)
Andrei Gorcioaia (Massy)

Scrum-half:

Fly-Halves:

Centers:

Wings:

Fullback:

STAFF: Lynn Howells (Head Coach), Massimo Cuttitta (Forwards Coach), Rob Moffat (Backs Coach), Olivier Rieg (Conditioning)

Few players out, Coste (Carcassonne - lock), Boldor (Steaua - fly-half), Simionescu (Timisoara - fullback).

Now I think this is the usual rotation Howells is doing and we'll see some players back for next matches home vs Russia and Belgium and probably some of the players from this squad taking a break.

Who'd be the backup flyhalf if Vlaicu gets injured? Faka?

Umaga and if he's injured too than Fercu or Calafeteanu can fill in there. Imo Calafeteanu is a failure of Romanian coaches, he'd have been much better at FH and Fercu's natural born instinct helps him to play everywhere in the backline including FH.

Oaks for Russia game:

Props:
Mihaita Lazar (Castres)
Constantin Pristavita (Stiinta Baia Mare)
Alexandru Gordas (CSA Steaua)

Hooker:
Florin Bardasu (Stiinta Baia Mare)

Locks:
Adrian Motoc (Racing 92 Metro)

Backrow:
Vlad Nistor (SC Albi)
Andrei Gorcioaia (Massy)
Kuselo Moyake (CSA Steaua)

Scrum-halves:

Fly-halves:
Tudor Boldor (CSA Steaua)

Centers:

Wings:

Fullback:
Marius Simionescu (Timisoara Saracens)

Dinamo Bucuresti transfers:

Iftimiciuc Marius (Timisoara Saracens) -loaned -lock - exciting young prospect, glad he'll have more time to play, Dinamo needs some depth to second row
Tatarus George (Timisoara Saracens) - loaned - flanker
Tudor George (CSM Bucharest) - prop
Shaun Prins (Politehnica Iasi) - center

Some interesting news regarding club scene as the start of the season approaches:

Timisoara - they're preparing for Continental Shield final. No new coach was appointed and they lend some young players to other clubs such as Dinamo.

Steaua - signed Plai and Butnariu from Iasi, two very young prospects

Baia Mare - they lost Johannes Van Heerden to CSM Bucuresti and signed a Georgian hooker, probably because the long term injury of Cojocaru and a Moldovan prop from Iasi, Colev.

Dinamo - released around 12 players including their captain for unknown reasons and signed 4 player (2 borrowed from Timisoara), prop Tudor (CSM), Scheepers (Iasi, center), Iftimciuc (lock Timisoara) and a young flanker I don't know. They said they are looking for other players as well. The most notable loss is national team player Tudor Bratu to CSM Bucuresti. The list of released players: Albert Stiopei (Navodari) - fullback, Mihai Adascalitei (Gloria Buzau) - frontrow, Aholahi Aisake - lock, Marius Badea - lock, Antonio Melinte - prop, Laurentiu Melinte - N8 (ex. captain!), Gerald Sibanda - wing, Tevita Ekuasi - N8, Adrian Chiper - prop, Simote Liueli - fly-half, Claudiu Pelin - hooker

U Cluj - they announced 2 academy players to be handed contract with first squad and they seem to focus on youngsters so far as they have around 7-8 players for U20 and U18 squads.

Iasi - they lost like 80% from their team and will start next year from second division. However, it is the first time I've seen local supporters being optimistic and they mentioned a financial scheme is studied to get back the team where it belongs starting with next season.

Some very interesting moves in second tier competition, Divizia Nationala de Seniori (DNS) where 4 teams have declared their aim is to win the competition.

Gloria Buzau is re-organized and they seem to want to promote in Super Liga and they have a very generous budget, around 700.000 Euro. They signed a lot of players from Iasi including the coach, Cosmin Ratiu who'll help probably main Buzau head coach. Among other signings, 2 Ukrainian national team players and 3 Fijians are also expected to join the squad. They also have some local companies which supports them.

Tomitanii: they signed few players from CSM Bucuresti, young prospect Macoveanu (lock) and they needed reinforcement in forwards. Rumors are that there are chances to have the funding to promote to Super Liga and in such case they'll also sign the best players from the nearby club Navodari (which will stay as a development club).

Bucovina Suceava - it seems the lack of support from local authorities had the effect. Despite losing their 20 years coach Mr. Constantin Vlad (ex. Romania U20, now coaching Moldova) the players and retainers of clubs stick together, managed to make a budget and will rely on players from local junior clubs and nearby CSS Gura Humorului, one of the best junior clubs in Romania with a declared objective to forma new team (many players retired after last year win of DNS) . New coach played in France and for Oaks, Marius Colțuneac.

Navodari - signed few players from Super Liga, especially those with roots in Constanta

Therefore it is not impossible but likely to have next season a Super Liga with 8 teams as Buzau and Tomitanii will likely have the funds to do this. The legal problems Iasi had with funding (and previously Farul) seem to be settled now and there is a new framework in place which will made possible the extension of first tier competition to the declared objective of actual FRR President of 10 teams. I'd be happy with 8 solid ones tbh, Timisoara is struggling tbh.

It must be an emotional rollercoaster following the Superliga! So many off field developments.

Vlad Iordachescu is the first Romanian referee delegated to a quarter final of Challenge Cup and to my knowledge the only from T2 countries. He will also referee Belgium - Spain next week-end.

https://frr.ro/2018/03/08/vlad-iord...roman-la-un-sfert-de-finala-al-challenge-cup/

About Super Liga, at least we have 6 teams who didn't have issues and are quite solid. I have some frills about Timisoara but I think they'll solve it eventually.

If we can make 8 stable enough and next step is U20 squad for each than we all be well set.

LE: news from Timisoara

Timisoara still don't have a head coach but at the start of the season they presented the new forwards coach, Leonardo Ulises Gamboa, new forwards coach.

https://www.facebook.com/rugbytimis...404584253969/1979796685381408/?type=3&theater

Last edited:
Lynn Howells and his staff resigned today after the match with Belgium (62-12 for Romania). No explanation was offered and not a name of the next in charge. Radio France International Petru Clej's mentions that Howells might lead the team to the match vs Georgia.

https://frr.ro/2018/03/10/staff-ul-tehnic-al-echipei-nationale-de-rugby-demisionat/

I know Howells had previously clearly stated that he'd stand down in 2017. If this is punishmen for failure to qualify for the RWC then this is very harsh in my opinion.

I don't know when the RWC qualifier with Portugal would be but Portugal will have a lot more chance if it is against a coach with little experience with the team.

Squad for Tbilisi match:

Props: Ionel Badiu (Timisoara Saracens), Mihaita Lazar (Castres), Constantin Pristavita (Stiinta Baia Mare), Alexandru Tarus (Sale Sharks), Alexandru Gordas (CSA Steaua)
Hookers: Andrei Radoi (Timisoara Saracens), Florin Bardasu (Stiinta Baia Mare), Marian Capatana (Timisoara Saracens)
Locks: Johannes Van Heerden (CSM Bucuresti), Valentin Poparlan (Timisoara Saracens), Adrian Motoc (Racing 92), Dumani Siphosethu Mtya (Stiinta Baia Mare)
Backrow: Stelian Burcea (CSM Bucuresti), Kuselo Moyake (CSA Steaua), Cristi Chirica (Stiinta Baia Mare), Razvan Ilisescu (Blagnac)
Scrum-half: Florin Surugiu (CSA Steaua ), Valentin Calafeteanu (CSM Bucuresti)
Fly-Half: Florin Vlaicu (CSA Steaua), Tudor Boldor (CSA Steaua)
Centers: Jack Umaga (Timisoara Saracens), Paula Kinikinilau (CSM Bucuresti), Sione Fakaosilea (Stiinta Baia Mare)
Wings: Ionut Dumitru (CSA Steaua), Tangimana Fonovai (Timisoara Saracens), Robert Neagu (CSA Steaua)
Fullbacks: Catalin Fercu (Timisoara Saracens), Marius Simionescu (Timisoara Saracens)

As staff, for the last time:
STAFF: Lynn Howells (Head Coach), Massimo Cuttitta (Forwards Coach), Rob Moffat (Backs Coach), Olivier Rieg (Strength and conditioning coach), Thomas Lièvremont (Lineout consultant coach), Catalin Sardan (Medic), Raul Colea si Marius Todosi (Kineto), Sabin Vasilescu (Video Analyst), Florin Tasca (GPS Analyst), Silvian Ionita (Assistant manager), Iustin Ilioiu (Manager)

Gorcioaia got back to Massy and Chirica in his place who was called for Belgium match as well.

Macovei and Sheenan out injured, Antonescu wasn't released from France and no news about Ursache brothers or Coste.

Timisoara win the Superliga and sack their coach Grainger Heinkell.

Romania qualify for the RWC and reach a recent historic high in the rankings and sack their coach Lynn Howells.

Boy you guys are ruthless! :D

And congratulations.

Fantastic for Romania to qualify!! Shame for Spain.

The National coaches resigned before they could be sacked. That was all done prematurely what with the qualification now a reality

I just hope that this will be the squad mainly for the RWC 2019. With a few better additions in the backs though. Luke Samoa and Jack Cobden need to up their games.

Well done to Romania, hope they take their chance. This is not to put a dampener on things, but more for people to know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43451330

Apparently the ref of the Spanish game was Romanian and it's caused a bit of controversy...wonder if there is some evidence out there as without seeing the decisions it's hard to tell. Bit dodgy though having a Romanian ref in charge of a game that can affect Romania qualifying. World Rugby seems to have made a few errors when assigning refs recently, with Marius van der Westhuizen being sent to England.

Fantastic for Romania to qualify!! Shame for Spain.

The National coaches resigned before they could be sacked. That was all done prematurely what with the qualification now a reality

I know, I know. I'm just being daft. :)

Surely they will take Howells back now, but if not then it is not such a bad time to transition to a new coach (whereas if they had to play Portugal and a possible repechage it would have been very risky).

I think Heinkell resigned after they lost Continental Shield matches vs Krasny Yar. Chester Williams come for two games and they won Super Liga final but hey, Chester is a legendary guy for Timisoara, with him on bench they'd play like crazy, it was an emotional call to appoint him for 2 matches but worked.

About the ref scandal I wrote on the REC thread...

Howells didn't appeared in the photos made to Tbilisi but FRR president said in a radio interview that they will meet to discuss this week. I think mistakes were made on both parts but this can be settled. We shall see.

Rumors I heard about next Romanian coaching team, if any:

- Apjock (ex. Baia Mare, now CSM Bucharest) as head coach, Sosene Anesi (Timisoara) - backs coach, Thomas Lievremont - forwards coach - this was aired in a TV show

- Marc Lievremont and his brother Thomas Lievremont

- A full French coaching team.

Has anyone got updates on the RWC2019 fiascoes about player eligibility for Spain, Belgium and Romania?

Also, Romanian Cup Final this weekend so it should be a good game.

Latest posts