• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RU and RL could they merge one day

D

DonBilly

I was wondering how both codes could merge?

I like RL speed on one hand but I like also the RU scrumaging and line outs.

Can a single Rugby code have these both aspects?

Can RL speed be kept if Rucks and Mauls are kept too?

If there was a single Rugby game, how many players on the field, 15 or 13? 14
<

Should we get rid of the flankers, or maybe just one center should be left out.

What do you think?

The rah-rahs would want their own was so it woud just be union rules.

I can't really see any chance of the two codes merging they have grown into two seperate sports, and really, what woujld be the point in merging them together?

I would spend less time watching Rugby (either Union or League) and my Girl friend would appreciate
<

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Sep 7 2004, 10:11 PM
In England, anyway. Toffee nosed punks.

On the field though, I wouldn't entertain any sort of merge whatsoever. All I would change in RL, apart from the OFF the field side, would be the scrum. I love union scrums, although in the ZZZZZZZZZZP it just looks as though there are a collection of overweight men that when pushing in a scrum look like a lump of vaseline with a heart problem. I want league scrums to be competetive again. I'd love that very much, in fact.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC+Sep 7 2004, 12:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St_Helens_RLFC @ Sep 7 2004, 12:37 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-wigan_rlfc
@Sep 7 2004, 10:11 PM
In England, anyway. Toffee nosed punks.

On the field though, I wouldn't entertain any sort of merge whatsoever. All I would change in RL, apart from the OFF the field side, would be the scrum. I love union scrums, although in the ZZZZZZZZZZP it just looks as though there are a collection of overweight men that when pushing in a scrum look like a lump of vaseline with a heart problem. I want league scrums to be competetive again. I'd love that very much, in fact. [/b]
But almost all contesded League scrumms fell apart or collapsed, one of the reasons for getting rid of them.

I agree with you St's about the scrums, I love watching the rare tight heads and wheel tactics that teams use. However I also love the line outs, the way the jumps are orchistrated (if done well) can really be misleading as to where the ball will finally go and it just makes for an interesting bit of competition... They are almost like seperate mini games outside the rest of the game and it's good to watch.

Do you think that the RL players would agree with introduction of scrumaging and lineouts?

Probably no and no.

Lineouts - that's union stuff, end of. It slows the game down to a crawl, no matter how fascinating the battles are, and that's one of my quickest criticisms of union.

Scrums - league scrums are used just for set moves; I can't see the players wanting it to be used for any other reason.

Why Scrum were left in League?

Is it to depopulate the pitch and provide more spaces to the attacking side?

What did happen, were the flankers removed before deciding that the scrum would not be contested or after?

If the contested Scum collapsed wasn't it due to the absence of Flankers?

Originally posted by DonBilly@Sep 7 2004, 03:16 PM
Do you think that the RL players would agree with introduction of scrumaging and lineouts?
They wouldn't be wanted as after all rugby league is the greatest game and a perfect sport.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Sep 8 2004, 06:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Sep 8 2004, 06:11 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly
@Sep 7 2004, 03:16 PM
They wouldn't be wanted as after all rugby league is the greatest game and a perfect sport. [/b]
its far from perfect. and believe me.... ive watched my fair share of RL and RU.
infact it was RL that got me interested in RU.
if the 2 are on at the same time ill usually watch the league, its alot faster and shows more attacking skills.
unless ofcourse the ab's are on.
as for merging them....
i think there will come a day when it will happen.
not the original forms of it but the 7's form of it.
id like to see a hybrid game of 7's union/league that could be put into the olympic games.
that way you could have the likes of darren lockeyer up against daniel carter.

Originally posted by DonBilly@Sep 7 2004, 10:39 PM
I would spend less time watching Rugby (either Union or League) and my Girl friend would appreciate
<
That's your fault now isn't it? and bla bla bla bla bla scold ***** whine about something that I really don't know or care about and really shouldn't be getting involved in.

Union and League will never merge.

If anything were to happen it would be Union eating up League.

We have more participants - in terms of countries and players, as well as greater international competition and more a wider global audience, therefore giving us more power/money

yeah but like all good things in rugby the IRB will f*** it up.
there a bunch of wankers.

Originally posted by Ripper@Sep 8 2004, 07:07 PM
If anything were to happen it would be Union eating up League.
Not at club level sunshine - the idea of merging with the ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZP is laughable.

Anyway, it looks like that RU has already taken some element of RL, especially in defense and some attack tactics.

We also see that the RU players are faster and faster.

Don't you think that in term of speed and skill RU and RL players (especially those of NRL) will be on par in 5 years from now?

No - RL will continue to improve whereas RU will always be catching up in the departments you mentioned.

Latest posts