• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ruan Pienaar to play for Bulls or Stormers?

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Ruan Pienaar to play for Bulls or Stormers?

Article Published: Monday 9 May 2011

Ruan_Pienaar.jpg

Springbok coach Peter de Villiers is attempting to get Irish club Ulster to release Ruan Pienaar so that he can play Super Rugby.

Pienaar's club Ulster are in the Magners League Semi-final next weekend against Leinster and should they lose Pienaar could return to South Africa to play for the Bulls or the Stormers.

Bok coach De Villiers wants Pienaar and Frans Steyn - who plays for Racing Metro in France - get used to the speed of the game in Super Rugby ahead of the TriNations and the world cup.

It is not clear why Pienaar would not return to his former team the Sharks but Sport24 report that he could turn out for either the Bulls or Stormers within the month.

Source: superxv.com

This will be interesting. Why don't they return to the Sharks? We can use a scrumhalf and center.

What really bothers me is the fact that our nationsl coach is actually interfering with player-transfers. What's wrong with Pienaar and Steyn playing in Europe? he can easily call them up to play in the Tri Nations and afterwards invite them to the training-camp. Most Bulls players won't be playing after June anyway so I don't get why they would have to move there, while the Stormers have the strongest backline in the competition.

But they would come back next season? I don't think ulster of for that matter Racing would like this, but then again they have no games left right so they wouldn't miss anything.

Would they not come back afterwords?

Player burnout anyone ...

Very possible but Ruan is one of those players that I cant remember ever having a bad game. He should go to the Stormers where hes got a good chance of winning a premiership, besides Bulls already got a good combo in Steyn and Du Preez.

This is silly. The guy has been playing weekly rugby for bloody ages now. It's a world cup year, players need to have their game time minimized, not have another half season thrown on them. De Villiers once again showing that he's a moron.

Springbok coach Peter de Villiers is attempting to get Irish club Ulster to release Ruan Pienaar so that he can play Super Rugby.
Ulster should tell PdV to go **** himself!
He's their player, not his

Very possible but Ruan is one of those players that I cant remember ever having a bad game. He should go to the Stormers where hes got a good chance of winning a premiership, besides Bulls already got a good combo in Steyn and Du Preez.

We could really use him as well; I don't rate Januarie as our back-up scrummie and we are having a bit of difficulty at 10 with Grant injured.

He would be great to have and alternate with Duvenhage and Grant (when he returns). With Cronje or Januarie on the other bench spot if needed.

Ruan Pienaar would do bench duty for most of the 3N behind FdP anyway so burn-out is not a concern for me. I agree that it'd be good for him to play some Super rugby. Frans Steyn got called up last year and was woefully off the pace after 1 season at RM. The muppet (PdV) might have a slight point.

What really bothers me is the fact that our nationsl coach is actually interfering with player-transfers. What's wrong with Pienaar and Steyn playing in Europe? he can easily call them up to play in the Tri Nations and afterwards invite them to the training-camp. Most Bulls players won't be playing after June anyway so I don't get why they would have to move there, while the Stormers have the strongest backline in the competition.

this is cuz of SBW......PDV had an article that he is not worried about this SBW....the article was called "Can the boxer Box".......in this article PDV said that he wants to see this SBW against the best centers in the SA named jean de villiers and Jacques Fourie...PDV said the Jean De Villiers will stop SBW single handedly..... :D
...today i saw an article that said "yes the boxer can box"....... :D
this looks like PDV is doing some damage control trying to source backup players now to be able to stop SBW.....steyn might be able to stop him...but i doubt that ruan will be.....PDV wants to get these players playing in SA cuz of the rugby policy where SA players playing else where will not play for SA :D

Last edited:
Pienaar a Centre....HA HA. He can't tackle anyone back, does not have the strength or weight too. He also lacks aggression, he never gets angry, which is strange as he plays number 9, he should be more cheeky. I don't think P.Divvy should be so worried about Pienaar. He will not be in the starting 15. And we have Morne Steyn and Pat Lambie for 10 ;and Fourie Du Preez/Francois Hougaard at 9. He can be third choice number 9. Rather have F.Steyn play 10 before i see Pienaar there.

Pienaar a Centre....HA HA. He can't tackle anyone back, does not have the strength or weight too. He also lacks aggression, he never gets angry, which is strange as he plays number 9, he should be more cheeky. I don't think P.Divvy should be so worried about Pienaar. He will not be in the starting 15. And we have Morne Steyn and Pat Lambie for 10 ;and Fourie Du Preez/Francois Hougaard at 9. He can be third choice number 9. Rather have F.Steyn play 10 before i see Pienaar there.
Pienaar for me would have been a very good flyhalf...he could have been kicking SA 1st real running flyhalf.......but they went with predictable Steyn :D...Lambie for me is SA best flyhalf by a mile....but they always seem to want to go with experience :D shame....

You know what's a shame? Your very predictable and one-sided opinions when it comes to SA rugby, time and time again

Just a question - Say Pienaar got injured and had a lengthy spell on sidelines. Who has to pay his wages and rehab him. Ulster so the risk is massive and Ulster should be left to use him as they wish and South Africa learn to adjust.

You know what's a shame? Your very predictable and one-sided opinions when it comes to SA rugby, time and time again
well you will be if you predict the predictable :D and its the truth.....

Pienaar is one of the most unenthusiastic looking players during a game ive seen but he has his moments

I think Pienaar is a true asset to any team. He can play scrum-half, fly-half and full-back and never complains to referees. He is an example for all those neurotic scrum halves who keep on blabbing to referees over and over and over again. In his kicking, he might not be the best, but after the World Cup I see him as the perfect scrum-half to replace Fourie du Preez, with Sarel Pretorius or Francois Hougaard on the bench

Just a question - Say Pienaar got injured and had a lengthy spell on sidelines. Who has to pay his wages and rehab him. Ulster so the risk is massive and Ulster should be left to use him as they wish and South Africa learn to adjust.

Got to agree, who pays for his cost. I doubt PD will do.

In football it's the same crap every time. A player (Arjen Robben for instance) gets injured during a match for the national team and the club has to pick up the pieces and pays millions of euro's on salary while the player cannot even pla for them

I presume any negotiations Ulster enter into will cover the possibility of him getting injured.

If needs be, we'll fly Paul Marshall out, make PD play 10, then have a game against a bunch of evil bruisers. By the time he's got out of hospital he'll see things our way.

What I hope, and think, Ulster will do, is not to stand in the way of the international aspirations of our biggest players. Its the right (if maybe not sensible) thing to do, and helps build up good will in approaching other big players/persuading Pienaar to stay. If moving back for the rest of the Super 15 season achieves that, which is admittedly a question in itself, then providing we are suitably recompensed and covered I see no reason not to loan him out. He'll probably need a bit of treating with kid gloves for next season, but c'est la vie.

Latest posts