• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2008 Review

Hey Bawked could you give us the top10 Club/Franchises? (Crusaders 84, Leicester 82....etc.) Thanks!

Nice review bro, So is the game out in NZ? [/b]

I have got an interesting question.Can anyone please tell me of give me a logical explenation of EA 's way of thinking regards to the release date for this game.Why release the game in one country but only a week later
+ in another country? Why not release the game all around the world on the the same day taking time zones into consideration? Why wait a few days before releasing it to the rest of the world.Any logic behind it ? :bravo:

maybe they give the americans the crap version and we get awesome version!!!! lolololol

My two cents on the game :

After a few games of rugby 08, here’s a little review so you people have a more in depth view of what to expect from this game.

The Positive :

There are a few new features that have been added in the game and that have a positive impact.

Mauls: Also you still cannot create a maul whenever you want, the new control bar adds a little depth to this part of the game. The more you add players, the more power you have but if you start your maul forward, the power starts going down. If your power bar gets to 0, the maul will collapse and the opposition will get a scrum.

This feature gives more depth and now using mauls is more fun.

Scrums: There is also a power bar and you can lose the ball on your own possession if your power bar reaches 0 and you haven’t already taken the ball out. After a few games, i still haven’t managed to steal a ball in a scrum but i got robbed like 3 times already...

Creative scoring: (As they call it)... Once you reach the opposition 22 m lines, the defense starts playing more agressively and seems to have a bonus on it’s tackling stats. Even though it can be frustrating sometimes, it really reflects real rugby where you start being more agressive when you’re backed up against your own line. It’s more rewarding now to score after 5 or 6 playing phases in the 22m and puts a lot more of pressure on you.

New camera angles : You can now tweak your camera view and get a suitable view for those who were not happy with the ones given in 06. There are different zooming levels during play to give you a better view of the action depending on what’s going on. For example, the camera unzooms when you attempt a kick downfield but closes in when you’re playing with your forwards. The Kick-off camera has changed too. Even though it’s not much, it’s better and gives more playing confort, especially with the kicks.

General AI : The AI plays way better in 08, especially when attacking, the passing game is more accurate and they tend to do quicker passes to avoid being tackled. The defense feels better too, the AI tends to wait and see instead of bullrushing the ball carrier... they try to push you to the touchline. On the other end, the AI is penalized for high tackles very often and takes many yellow cards.

Challenge mode: Definitely the nicest addition to me.... it increases the replay value. You have a list of challenge for each past World cup and have to complete 3 assignements to get the gold medal. Getting gold opens platinium assignement...

For those who like rugby history, it’s fun and an alternative way to play the game, and really the most noticeable addition to the game.

The overall speed of the game is improved and the player control too, passing is mor fine, stiff arms and side steps work better ( or feel like they do...) i haven’t tried a dummy pass yet.

It feels a little more like rugby and those of you who liked playing 06 ( with all it’s downsides.... ) will like to play 08.

The HUD and interface is prettyer, the games looks more polished on many ways.

The Negative:

Rosters: The squads are basically the same as in 06, there was no update at all, at least for the european club teams ( I’m from France ). They could have updated the rosters and at least try to re evaluate the players : Juan Hernandez from Argentina has a low 77 rating and this could be said about many players...

Let’s not talk about players who are licensed with the national side and not with their clubs (they don’t even have the same ratings, that’s ridiculous: Cedric Heymans is 90 ovr with france and 71 with Stade Toulousain ... WTF?? )Overall you get the feeling that this guys don’t know and don’t care about rugby.

Lack of licenses : Where is my French top 14, the celtic league, the currie cup, NPC and so on....

No improvement in the game modes : Except for the challenge mode, there is nothing new The world league is exactly the same..... the leagues are the same, the competitions too... and it sucks.

Still incoherent with rugby rules : There are still the same incoherent rules like a 5 m scrum against your side when the ball goes out of the end zone after the opposition kicked it...

Still way too easy : After like 6 month wihout playing 06, i put the game on elite mode, win the world cup after beating the AB’s 40-0, England 46-14 and Australia 30-7 in the final.

Same thing with the world league, first 3 games are almost a test until the first transfer window is opened and then you get real players and it’s over.

France still gets the opposition injured : I mean, ok, we used to have a reputation of bad boys in the 70’s and early 80’s but come on..... expect players to be injured a lot when playing against france.

Still barely an OK game : Let’s admit it, if it was a soccer game, we would puke on it and then put PES 6 and have a good time. Sadly it’s the only decent union game on the market and we can’t stay away from it. I’m still having a good time playing it but, there is a lot of room for improvement, even though it’s a little better than 06. At this rate, we will get what we need in 2010 or later...

I have got an interesting question.Can anyone please tell me of give me a logical explenation of EA 's way of thinking regards to the release date for this game.Why release the game in one country but only a week later
+ in another country? Why not release the game all around the world on the the same day taking time zones into consideration? Why wait a few days before releasing it to the rest of the world.Any logic behind it ? :bravo:
[/b]

HB studios produced the game in Canada which uses an NTSC format. In order to play it in the EU (I'm afraid I don't know what Australasia uses) it needs to be in Pal format (apparently better quality) which requires changing the way the game sends information (or something like that). Anyway this takes time, too long for EA and they had to set the game back.

PAL, NTSC (and SECAM) do not apply on computers so it can be played on the PC. As EA Link is primarily targeted at America it is released on EA Link. This is also a worldwide service and can be downloaded byy anyone off there. Sadly it costs more and requires an active internet link to play.

The PC version was not released over here (Europe and Australasia) so they could time it with the PS2 release. I guess they wanted to be fair or something, who knows?

But thats the basic gist of it. Bear in mind this game was scheduled for release in October, it certainly looks like they've done evrything they could to save time.

Thanks for the review Handsomebob - just a couple of questions. Do the games 'feel' the same as rugby 06 or does this really play like a different game?

I like you found 06 too easy, however if you fill your team with 'B' list players things should get a whole lot more challenging. For example, I play as England and take out all the star players and add second rate players, mixed with a few good players who arn't stars. I find if I get the mix right I can have some really challenging games, especially against the big teams. In fact it plays like a completely different game, with tight defences, and prescious few gaps. Have a try and let me know how you get on!

Jimbob

Fortunately when I play with Australia in Rugby 06 I choose current players that weren't recognised at an international level when the game was made.

So it actually makes it challenging against the top teams when you've got players like Shepherdson, Chisholm, Moore, Shepherd, Holmes, Ashley-Cooper etc. who are grossly underrated.

My PS2 laser is busted :( so the game barely plays at all, the differences between pal and ntsc will be the resolution pal is 720x576 and ntsc is 720x480. Does anyone else notice lag in the game? I hope it's just my ps2..

My PS2 laser is busted :( so the game barely plays at all, the differences between pal and ntsc will be the resolution pal is 720x576 and ntsc is 720x480. Does anyone else notice lag in the game? I hope it's just my ps2.. [/b]

Take the hood off, unscrew the CD player protection and wash the lense with a cotton with 90° alcohol....
While you're at it, use your vacuum cleaner to take out all the dust inside and it should be as good as new.
I've done it for a friend last week and it works fine now.

Thanks for the review Handsomebob - just a couple of questions. Do the games 'feel' the same as rugby 06 or does this really play like a different game?

I like you found 06 too easy, however if you fill your team with 'B' list players things should get a whole lot more challenging. For example, I play as England and take out all the star players and add second rate players, mixed with a few good players who arn't stars. I find if I get the mix right I can have some really challenging games, especially against the big teams. In fact it plays like a completely different game, with tight defences, and prescious few gaps. Have a try and let me know how you get on!

Jimbob [/b]

As far as i'm concerned it feels like a different game because of the speed of the game, the AI tweaking and the player control which feels more accurate. Don't expect no revolution though.....

I have my little tricks to up the game difficulty, i try to only score using set plays when in the opposite 22, i don't buy star players in world league and i play 5 mn games so if i fall behind on the scoreboard i can feel some pressure but still.... it's not a real challenge. For example, it's so easy to steel the ball on lineouts it's allmost boring.

Do you think you could give us the rankings of the top 10 franchises/clubs?
(ie Crusaders 84, Leicester 81...etc.)

Also what can you ulock in the game?

And how many new teams are there? I noticed some like the SouthStars but wasn't sure what that was all about...

As far as i'm concerned it feels like a different game because of the speed of the game, the AI tweaking and the player control which feels more accurate. Don't expect no revolution though.....

I have my little tricks to up the game difficulty, i try to only score using set plays when in the opposite 22, i don't buy star players in world league and i play 5 mn games so if i fall behind on the scoreboard i can feel some pressure but still.... it's not a real challenge. For example, it's so easy to steel the ball on lineouts it's allmost boring.[/b]

I won 100% of lineout ball in one game which is pathetic are EA testers useless at the game or what... I just can't believe it's called ELITE when its so easy, I may have to win the world cup with the worst team to make it challenging..

France still gets the opposition injured : I mean, ok, we used to have a reputation of bad boys in the 70's and early 80's but come on..... expect players to be injured a lot when playing against france.
[/b]
Does this still happen when you go French clubs?

Thanks for your review mate! :cheers:

<div class='quotemain'>

France still gets the opposition injured : I mean, ok, we used to have a reputation of bad boys in the 70's and early 80's but come on..... expect players to be injured a lot when playing against france.
[/b]
Does this still happen when you go French clubs?

Thanks for your review mate! :cheers:

[/b][/quote]

Nope, not the clubs, only the XV de France....

Well that injury bug is a pain, that just spoils any competition where you go France.

<div class='quotemain'> My PS2 laser is busted :( so the game barely plays at all, the differences between pal and ntsc will be the resolution pal is 720x576 and ntsc is 720x480. Does anyone else notice lag in the game? I hope it's just my ps2.. [/b]

Take the hood off, unscrew the CD player protection and wash the lense with a cotton with 90° alcohol....
While you're at it, use your vacuum cleaner to take out all the dust inside and it should be as good as new.

[/b][/quote]

My ps2 is also fcked for the same reason.. i will do this on the weekend.. any tips on what to be careful of when i do that?

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> My PS2 laser is busted :( so the game barely plays at all, the differences between pal and ntsc will be the resolution pal is 720x576 and ntsc is 720x480. Does anyone else notice lag in the game? I hope it's just my ps2.. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

My ps2 is also fcked for the same reason.. i will do this on the weekend.. any tips on what to be careful of when i do that?

[/b][/quote]

When you remove the hood, push it forward because of the memory card slot and lift gently as the hood is still attached to the main body by some kind of wire. Then you just have to unscrew the DvD protection (very small screwdriver) and then you can clean everyting. Don't forget to clean the fan which is usually covered in dust....
That should be all.

and IF that weird little wire comes loose, DONT PANIC. There are guides on the net to help you get it back in. I'm speaking from experience! Just don't damage the laser mount unit!

Happy cleaning...

Latest posts