• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2012 Director of Rugby mode.

There should be a mode where ...

- you start of as a coach of either the Super 14, Magners League, Premiership or Top 14, then after the season is finished you become the coach of a national side and play all their games eg. 6 nations, Tri Nations and International fixtures .
- if you are a coach in NZ or SA you can become the coach of an ITM Cup or Currie Cup team at the same time .
- during this you should be able to check scores, fixtures, tables, stats of every team of every competition .
- the transfer market should be made fun but also realistic as no french or englishmen would ever play in New Zealand or Australia .
- don't make the transfers overwhelming either as in Rugby 08 players would be "traded" which is unrealistic .
- the mode should last for about ten years, so that would require making up players as they come through age grade rugby, maybe even making an u20 tournament every year ?

that's all my ideas so far .

I like it!!! HB better look at this forum because if the game is anything like the last one i will be so annoyedd because there is so mant good ideas out there!

I like the idea of a manager mode where when your club is good enough you get offered to manage a national team. But you wouldn't necessarily have to manage your country's team. If your an New Zealand manager you may get an offer to coach the Australian side (like Robbie Deans). It could work on a percentage basis i.e. If your an Australian manager there is a 80% chance of being approached by the Wallabies, a 10% chance of being approached by the All Blacks, a 4% chance of being approached by England, 3% chance of being approached by Fiji, and a 3% chance of being approached by the USA. But of course you wouldn't have to accept.

I also think that at club level it should work like Rugby League 2 (haven't played RL3) in that you offer players simple contracts and they may or may not accept (i.e. Loans and % bonus per try in not needed like in FIFA 10). But I do like the idea of scouting players like in FIFA 10 manager mode. Because if your the manager of Australia you don't want to be stuck with the same squad for 15 years, you need new, younger players.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a manager mode where when your club is good enough you get offered to manage a national team. But you wouldn't necessarily have to manage your country's team. If your an New Zealand manager you may get an offer to coach the Australian side (like Robbie Deans). I could work on a percentage basis i.e. I your an Australian manager there is a 80% chance of being approached by the Wallabies, a 10% chance of being approached by the All Blacks, a 4% chance of being approached by England, 3% chance of being approached by Fiji, and a 3% chance of being approached by the USA. But of course you wouldn't have to accept.

I also think that at club level it should work like Rugby League 2 (haven't played RL3) in that you offer players simple contracts and they may or may not accept (i.e. Loans and % bonus per try in not needed like in FIFA 10). But I do like the idea of scouting players like in FIFA 10 manager mode. Because if your the manager of Australia you don't want to be stuck with the same squad for 15 years, you need new, younger players.

love the idea of being approached by different national teams

There should be a mode where ...

- the transfer market should be made fun but also realistic as no french or englishmen would ever play in New Zealand or Australia .

Good post. Cipriani (English) is moving to Oz to join the Melbourne Rebels though. I agree with the French, many of their players have however gone go to SA and played for the Sharks!

If a decent online mode isn't included then the Rugby Director/Manager/World League mode will be the feature that is used the most by gamers.
Personally the existing artificial system where all the worlds clubs are lumped together in a token fashion is boring. I'd much prefer a FIFA style system with player contracts and scouting new players, where you manage teams over multiple seasons to build up the club you start with.

When I play FIFA games the most enjoyable aspect is to start with a lower league club and to take them up through the leagues to the Premiership. It doesn't bother me if the player faces aren't accurate, as I don't know any of them anyway and I replace the poor players over time anyway. If we're going to have artificial world leagues then why not go for something that is more enjoyable.

Why not create 6 national divisions in the Southern Hemisphere (one in NZ, Aus and RSA). Make them play home and away in their division for the domestic ***le and then have them also play cross border games for the Super trophy. Similarly for European clubs, have them play their domestic competition as well as the Heineken Cup. I believe people enjoy the realism of growing a club up and buying in players in a realistic fashion. Would it be that much different to a creating a World League to instead create something more realistic and meaningful.

Eventually I'd love to see the Championship, ProD2, Super10, Top League, Currie Cup and NPC introduced to the game. But initially it's too much work. I'd pay $20+ for an add-on pack that had the NPC teams though. So maybe that's a future business opportunity for HB to utilise the onlie technology of XBox360 and PS3 stores.

i would pay £15 max to have Championship, ProD2, Super10, Top League, Currie Cup and NPC dlc.

Back to Director of Rugby ideas this should in my opion be a replacment for world league mode!

£15 each for the Championship etc, or £15 total for all those additional leagues?
Truthfully I'd say you'd pay £15 just for the Championship, from the enthusiasm you've shown. Just as I'd pay $20 for the NPC alone.

Like I said, lucrative opportunity I'd have thought. Not that hard for a guy to find the 30 players of a dozen clubs in the NPC etc and to get the club logo and find a generic stadium that looks similar to the home ground of each team. Certainly a worthwile investment for how much it'd cost, compared to how many people would pay for it.

In NZ and RSA the NPC and Currie Cup is just as (if not more) important than the Super14. Likewise in France and England there are MANY incredibly passionate fans dedicated to their local teams in ProD2 and Championship.

If the championship would be included in the game or as dlc it would have to be useable in carear/manager/director of rugby mode

Imagine this:

Pick a League, lets say Super 14. Pick a team, ill go for NSW Waratahs - leave the team as it is, i do not see why every team turns to **** in World League mode.

Then you have a full season with them, controlling various things such as contracts, staff, training (player development), youth team. There would be pre-season games and then a full Super 14 season - with injuries and PROPER STATISTICS! (ie whole tornument - historical stats for each team and ability to view stats such as 'most tries scored by player' in the hall of fame). Then at the end of the season, you could be chosen to manage a national team (any team) - you pick the squad and complete the whole season for that team - with injuries, training also. This would be a career mode, and would continue for as long as possible with Lions Tour every 3 years or so and World Cup every four!

This would be a brilliant, and realistic, inclusion!

Yeah I think you could allow managers to start with the current squad for each club team, just have different expectations for the season depending on how good the team is.
The Waratahs, for example, would have expectations of a Top 6 finish next season. So the fans/board would be unhappy if you didn't achieve that.

But if you started with the Lions then you'd simply be expected to avoid the wooden spoon in your first season.

It'd also be great if you have players who decided they won't sign for a team because they won't get game time or because the team isn't good enough.
So you can't just save a bunch of money and sign Dan Carter to the Lions unless you start performing ok and also offer him significant money etc. So you can't just build a superstar team from day one, you've got to build it up over time and slowly add a better quality of new recruit (or better yet invest in a higher level academy, which is also a must have feature) to grow your team organically and realistically.

That way, you can start with your favorite team and have different challenges depending on who they are. The Reds might have high expectations after a good season, but then your players might want wage rises to match their new found success, so you have to negotiate contract improvements with the ones you want to keep. Or maybe you choose the Bulls and have to start planning for the imminent departure of experienced players who need replacement as well as fans who expect nothing less than the ***le.

Genius !!

This is a great idea, you should not be able to purchase any player you want just because you have saved the money for them. Each team should posess some kind of percentage statistic regarding their sucesss in the league ie Northampton saints team performance statistic 85% then each player should have a similar statistic ie Dan Carter team expectation statistic 89%.
Each player will only consider a contract if the team stat is above their expectation stat and the money etc is right. This would mean dan carter would not play for the Saints unless they improve slightly etc.
You could easily base the player stat on their real life reputation and the team stat could include current win loss percentage, training facility level, staduim capacity/attendance etc.

Unknown players could also have this stat depending on their currrent abilities rather than reputation.

Surely this would not be too difficult and it would add a great dimension to the game making your journey to the top more realistic.

Each team should posess some kind of percentage statistic regarding their sucesss in the league ie Northampton saints team performance statistic 85% then each player should have a similar statistic ie Dan Carter team expectation statistic 89%.
Each player will only consider a contract if the team stat is above their expectation stat and the money etc is right. This would mean dan carter would not play for the Saints unless they improve slightly etc.
You could easily base the player stat on their real life reputation and the team stat could include current win loss percentage, training facility level, staduim capacity/attendance etc.

Unknown players could also have this stat depending on their currrent abilities rather than reputation.

Surely this would not be too difficult and it would add a great dimension to the game making your journey to the top more realistic.

I am not too sure this would make the game more realistic because this season Englands no.1 hooker signed with Leeds.
You should be able too recruit coaches phisio's ect then extend your stadium, facilities ect And then the player takes into account how much game time he will get. Plus good players sometimes sign with rubbish teams for a challenge so that should be taken into account in the game!
eg Steve Thompson + Andy Gommarsall to Leeds!

Latest posts