• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2012 - World League Improvement Suggestions

I'd be happy to see the world league ditched as well if you could play in a carrier mode. Where you pick a cluba nd a country somehow. So i could play a real year and for example play all of the saints games and all of englands.

Then when the six nations is on i loose my international which i pick as i'm england and also loose any other scottish/welsh/irish ones. I think it would be a great thing to have offers to move clubs and buy players etc but this option makes it a real year of rugby.

Same for the southern hem, to be able to pick a club side, play i the league all the cups and then a international side.

Witht he abitltiy for players to get better and train them it would be quite real and a lasting game.

Do people think thats a good idea?

Yeah I love the create a team idea - a simple way to implement would be to follow the rebels path - you create the team and have a pool of older ex-stars and younger up and comers to choose from, plus maybe one or two marquee players. Maybe even a couple of high profile league converts?? I love the idea of being able to design the jersey and all the set moves etc - basically the more depth the better in this mode the better - as it may be years before the next game, the world league is what keeps us coming back!

I'd like to see the world league ditched and replace it with the real leagues. If you play with scarlets, you play in the magners league, european cup and mabe even the anglo-welsh cup. You could make up a mini tournament at the end of the season taking the winners of all the leagues so that you can play against teams from the different hemisphere. I would prefer using money to buy players. I think each club should start with a different budget and it the clubs wealth should be able to change over time depending on the performance and finaces of the team e.g. If I won the heineken cup with the dragons (a poor club), it would experience a boost in its finances because of prize money, higher advertsing revenues, more investors and a growing fan base. If I continued like this for a few years, the dragons should be a wealthy club.

The money could be use for different things other than players. Maybe training facilities, coaches (dont have to be real life coaches, you could use the simple fifa system where you upgrade coaches), stadium, advertising and even ground staff. It doesn't have to be too indepth, when you uprgrade something, it either ends up in more money, more fans therefore fuller and louder stadiums, ability to either change stadium or get a new stadium, increased stats for the players in the team. I think the ability to change or upgrade stadium is important because if you play in Rodney Parade and you become the biggest team in Europe, you might want to build a new stadium. It could be done by choosing from a selection of a few fictional modern stadiums or even move in to another stadium. The stadium shouldn't appear instantly. It should be available in the next season or perhaps even longer.

I think fan support could be a intersting challenge. I think that your fanbase should depend on your teams preformance, amount of money spet on advertinsing and mabye even the type of rugby you play. A team that scores more tries could have more fans. Of a team has more fans, the stadium should be fuller and a lot louder. I think it should take a while to build up a larger fanbase unless your team does exceptionally well. Also the atmosphere could be more intense for big games and derby matches.

Although this mode is an important mode, I think the best thing you can do is get the gameplay right. You can have an extremly detailed manger mode but I cant see myself playing many matches if the gameplay was poor. Having said that, I enjoyed the gameplay in 08 so it should'nt be too much of a problem. As long as its harder gameplay. One last point, it might be an idea to have a choice between playing a team twice in the league and only once like in 08. This is because I find i a bit boring playing a full league in Fifa. Sorry if my post is full of spelling mistakes, I haven't got much time at the moment.

the only problem i had with the World League is that it got too easy after a while, eventually you can just buy all the best players and no team has any chance of beating you coz you have so many good players, so they should find a way to make it harder. maybe tighter salary caps so you can't just buy all the best players in the world and win every game so easily.

it will be awesome if you have a manager mode like fifa for example , you start with The Bulls , take them through super 15 , then currie cup and then have the option to take the national side through seasons and every 4 years play the world cup? To have an injury system based on fifa 10 will be great aswell. Maybe you can add a super cup for provincial sides example , winners of Super 15 , Heineken Euro Comp etc competing for the cup! Players must be able to play in every position , not like in 08 when you play them out of position they are horrible?

Rugby 2012 should use FIFA and Rugby Leage 3 manager/franchise mode as a template!
On Rugby 08 the world leagye mode was terrible, we need a brand new setup for rugby mangerial mode.
WHAT HB NEED TO DO.
i think the good points about FIFA 10 manager mode are that you can start with a low league team and make them a premiership side.
And the thing i like about Rugby League 3 franchise mode is player contracts and the way to sign players.

So to summerise we need a Director of Rugby mode that lets you play as a CHAMPIONSHIP OR PREMIERSHIP side(for english people, Magners,or whaterver league you like). To be able to work with contracts easily and with good negotiations. Be able to buy out player contracts to sign them for your team. And we need easily navigateable menus!!!

Will, while I appreciate the fact that you would dearly love to see the Championship included in 2012, I believe that until the NPC and Currie Cup are included, no other leagues should be.

Will, while I appreciate the fact that you would dearly love to see the Championship included in 2012, I believe that until the NPC and Currie Cup are included, no other leagues should be.
Agreed, however i'd say "If the championship is included then they have to include NPC/Currie"

to be honest ditch the world league and just have a director of rugby mode pretty much identical to fifa.

The ability to make job offers to ANY player in the game! as long as you can pay them enough. obviously the better your team the less you would have to pay.
And i strongly agree with the idea of choosing any team so that you don't have to wait for a job offer from your favorite club/franchise

I know everyone has mentioned it but the World League has to allow you to make job offers to any player on the game. If you are a div 3 club and offered the player more money they would accept or if you were a div 1 club and offered the player less they would accept. But once you were to get that player if they were already signed to a club they would join your squad after the current season but if they werent they would join instantly. An example of this was Matt Giteau when the Western Force wanted him, of course they weren't as good of a team as Brumbies but the 2 or 3 million dollars he was offered persuaded him to go the Force.

My two cents would, if at all possible, start at an even lower domestic competition and work your way up, without necessarily staying within your country of birth. For example, fill in an application stating name, age, country, etc and start with say the Southland Stags in the ITM Cup and work you're way up to the next job. Depending on your performance with your local team, which can last one to three or whatever season, other jobs will then open up. So maybe go coach an English Championship side before going up to a Magners League side. When you get to a certain level in your career then you can apply or get offered other jobs such as the Barbarian job, then work into an international job scene, say Japan before the winning goal of the game; coaching your country of birth, unless you are from Spain then one of the big 10. Coach your team to the world cup or a lion's tour.
Don't restrict the game to this world cup, we have England in 2015 and Japan in 2019 so make a person work for their career.
This could work for most rugby playing nations, if again licences were available, say in Ireland or Wales just start from the AIB or Welsh Primer ship.

With this season mode I feel that every aspect of coaching a real team should be put in place, from sorting out training and focusing on certain type of game play to hiring and firing of players which are effected by form, injury and international call ups. Like any other sport game you will have a board of directors who expectations must be met.

Another Idea that I had and mentioned in another thread, and please give feedback, is the idea of using story lines in season mode. In different season flames of hatred are fuelled by the media and by the bad mouthing of the coach. So for example, New Zealand Australia rival. Not that it needs extra fuel but in the build up to the tri-nations Robbie Deans personality attacks you as the New Zealand coach. The game tries to build pressure on you the gamer from all angles such as media, fans, directors and so on. This could work in Europe with club sides, I mentioned this already in a other thread; after a spell in which you were the academy coach for Toulouse (where during a game you could only control your selected academy players) you move on to a new club, as head coach of say Sale, were bad press, rumours fan the flames of hatred between yourself and former club Toulouse, which ends with both teams, by no accident, meeting in the final of the Heineken Cup, thus ending the story line.
Others story lines can be such as injury crisis, star player injury, run of poor form, underdog, hated league, local or cup rivals, race to win the league, or like when they hyped up Munster first Heineken Cup by saying they have for filled their "density"

Thoughts?

I like the idea of a deeper Manager Mode, with more teams being licensed (if possible). But I think it should probably be limited to the major competitions globally.
That would be those Comps which are given their own TRF sub-forum on the main page:

H-Cup, Aviva Premiership, Magners League, Top14, ProD2, Super15, ITM Cup, Currie Cup, Top League, Super10.
If you wanted to include all pro comps then you could also include the Professional Rugby League, which is Russia's 8 team pro comp (with pretty decent wages too I might add!).

The different levels of clubs and competitions would offer different challenges. Smaller clubs would have less money to pay players and would be less attractive for superstar players.
They'd also have ambitions relative to their size, so they wouldn't expect trophies straight away etc. Larger clubs would be more ruthless when it came to failure and expectations would be higher.
The manager would have a say in signing sponsorship contracts as player contracts, like the FIFA manager modes, but it wouldn't get TOO hardcore though.

I don't personally know if I'd care too much to be able to coach International AND Club teams at the same time, as I don't think this happens anywhere in real life and would be a bit weird. But it would be cool to have your clubs players gain selection (and extra training) from being selected and playing for the national side. While they were away you'd have to make do with replacement players in their place, but those star players will be better for the experience and come back more valuable. A more in-depth energy/injuries system would be great too, to give manager more challenges and variation (should they choose to have it set to a higher difficulty). You could even watch simulated International Matches involving your club players if you wanted too, to see how they play on the big stage.

As for the other idea Jayatron, I personally think it too much for me. It wouldn't add enough enjoyment for the effort of creating it, for me personally. I think you should certainly have "Rival Matches" in your club season, when you play against a traditional rival (like a local derby match) where your fans care a little more about the result. Which obviously leads to the point that the club manager mode needs to have fan contentment as well as board contentment, which is the measure of success or failure.

My list for the manager / world league mode -

- You start the game with a rating of half a star (out of 5)
- Only 3 or 4 clubs come in for you with a season long deal, each with different targets to reach.
- Players in your team are all there, BUT most of them, especially the best, the key players of the squad are unhappy at your appointment and only have a year left. Its up to you to have a good season and try and keep these or allow them to talk to other clubs straight away freeing up some of your budget. if its before the seaosn starts, you can sign someone else instead of them or use the acadamy.
- You are the boss. its up to you to better your fitness coach, forwards coach and backs coach and acadamy.
- You are recomended upto 5 players of your acadamy and you can offer them all pro deals, or just 1 or 2 of them or even none of them. they can also reject your offer so youd have spend a little more than you thought on them, but not for every one. you never know, one of these could be a star player in the future.
- Injuries. long term and short term.
- Retirements. a must for this mode.
- Development and growth. Younger the player the more he grows and develops. through the season the players can peak. and every seaosn the rating of the player changes. more rugby he plays, more he grows and develops.
- You can get sacked at any time through the season, but other jobs will be available.
- You can get offered a job anytime by another club.
- You can offer deals to your players throughout the season. Your players can also, IF they are out of contract at the end of the current season be approached by other clubs near the end of the season.
- Transfer Market. this should be fun, and as has been mentioned REALISTIC. negotiations would be immense. also, the players you attract will be down to the season you had and you rating. if you won everything you still might not be considered good enough to attract the best in the world no matter how much money you had. the rating is your reputation. if your reputation is low, you'll never get a dan carter or a rocky elsom or a stephan Jones or a maa nonu etc. if its high enough, say from 3 stars on and you have the money, then you start to see big name players who are out of contract in the list of players who you have a chance of signing. you'd still be able to attempt to try and sign the best, and you may be able to pull one off, but i think they should be limited. the swap players thing was something i did not like looking back. we need to have negotiations.
- The Press. a press conference would be a good addition. you dont have to attend, but maybe a series of questions with 3 or 4 choices as an answer about your first job and the season ahead, then maybe big matches through the seaosn, if the team was hammered, when a player is rumoured to leave, when you are rumoured to leave for another club or sacked, after you are sacked maybe, when you sign players, rumoured with players. i think it would add something to the game.

i like the idea where you can buy players all year round and you have the option to buy any player

My idea relates to some kind of manager mode.

Dont know if it has been mentioned already but you should NOT be able to purchase any player you want just because you have saved the money for them. Each team should posess some kind of percentage statistic regarding their sucesss in the league ie Northampton saints team performance statistic 85% then each player should have a similar statistic ie Dan Carter team expectation statistic 89%.
Each player will only consider a contract if the team stat is above their expectation stat and the money etc is right. This would mean dan carter would not 'CONSIDER' playing for the Saints unless they improve slightly etc.
You could easily base the player stat on their real life reputation and the team stat could include current win loss percentage, training facility level, staduim capacity/attendance etc.

Unknown players could also have this stat depending on their currrent abilities rather than reputation.

Surely this would not be too difficult and it would add a great dimension to the game making your journey to the top longer, more taxing and realistic.

This is a thought about the world league mode, it is not an idea but perhaps a criticism.

Buying any player you want whenever you want is ridiculus ! People talk about getting their fifa footy team from division 9 to the premiership in 3 seasons (I know this isnt possible just making a point) how is this fun or realistic ? who gets promoted 2 or 3 seasons on the bounce !!!!!!!!!!
You should have trouble aquiring great players and you should earn the right to approach them for contract negotiations. Just saving up enough money and finding them in a database is not real and if this was released into the game I would not be happy !!!

Sorry, I hope I havent upset anyone and I know people have been advocating an open transfer market with every player in it but I have to disagree. You should earn your star players by reaching the top level first. Lets have teams in Div 1, championship etc with players who are at that level (dan carter playing for bristol in the championship is wrong however maybe a 33 yr old average ex premiership player could be in your squad as a main player or maybe a 20 yr old who is up and coming but not a star international player.

Apologies rant over.

bear 8969 is spot on. you should not be able to sign the best straight off. no point in this mode if thats the case, you may as well just be happy in a "create your own team" mode and save it. the world league mode is a mode that should make you build reputation as the man in charge, build your team using acadamy, and build your reputation through the seasons to be able to attract the best players.

Yeah, but it used to frustrate me that i couldn't make an offer to any player in the game even though i won the Elite League and KO Cup. it seemed that only the same players would come up for recruitment... And no matter what team i played with i always seemed to end up with a very similar team.

I think that there should be some sort of awareness to where a players country of origin is.
eg. When playing as the Hurricanes it would be next to impossible to get Johnny Wilkinson to join your team (unless you nearly maxed out your salary cap to get him there) and when playing as Perpignan it would be just as hard to recruit Piri Weepu.
although players with lower ratings/form/morale might be easier to recruit so you could get lucky. This way the game would be different every time you played and would be more realistic/difficult when playing as a team from certain parts of the world.

Also players on your team should be able to receive job offers from other clubs, you can either decide to give them a pay-rise or let them go. Cause lets face it there is no way that Johnny Wilkinson would sit on the Crusaders bench all season hoping that Carter pulls a hamstring
Form and morale should also play a much bigger part in the game especially during World League mode. maybe a ratings boost when a players form and/or morale is above 80 and a ratings loss if they fall below 60 so even the star players could look pretty average if they'd been injured or sitting on the bench for long periods.

Latest posts