• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great read, ABs have always been killer on the counter and overlap situations, very rarely do they get it wrong. Executing overlaps has been a growing issue, often ball carriers drift over or don't commit defenders before passing. Support play is equally important, support players must fix defenders too. In your first example, it looks like the outside support is angling towards the touchline. Burrell isn't going straight, neither is Yarde though I'd say the switch line isn't a bad option either considering it was Woodcock I think on the cover, plus they broke the line so they're support is coming at pace while New Zealand is forced to chase. I like switches too as I think it is the best way to keep the drift honest. Second example if Twelvetrees passes down and support straightens out, they still have the numbers. Nobody runs at defender though they seem to just be running straight.

exactly!

Burrell does little more than pull the defenders with him.

As you say he and Yarde both have their hips facing the touchline and run towards it, Yarde realises and offers the switch, but Burrell doesn't take it. I think in that space Yarde would have stood a good chance of finishing.

Well that was a depressing read :lol:

wait till you see the video i've just done of the Ben Smith try..... :)

excellent video. Just right. Less stressful than the last where we had to read crazy fast before the frame skipped !
Yes this highlights England's single biggest flaw imo, their inability to take advantage of those numerical superiority in attacking situations. I got absolutely BLASTED like a mo-ther-fu-cker in the last '2014 Six Nations Italy vs England' thread some months ago for saying England aren't a great attacking team and will butcher sure try situations. It's interesting how certain comments can be taken out of their initial intention so badly...
anyways: that is one magnificent try by NZ, and you help us appreciate it more by breaking it down like that.

This highlights a few things for me about England's weaknesses, in general and not just for this given play in particular: as mentioned, England's inability to capitalize on numerical advantages. Twelvetrees' lack of skill. And David Wilson's slowness: he's good in the scrum, but is just too slow for a game like this (against NZ), Cruden runs past him right under his nose. I know he's a TH, but I'm saying he's a liability sometimes with his handling and just being physically/mentally inept or slow compared to the rest of the England pack.

yeah, wilson gets opened up.

i think a lot of this comes from coaching, there is a general view point in English rugby that the wrong option is ok, as long as you retain possession.

England are weird in that we are actually pretty good at making overlaps but absolutely dire in exploiting them. I think this is a leftover from the old England mentality of playing 10 man rugby and practically never using the wings. If we can just get players to fix the defender and pass out 1 man at a time as you say then we could start tearing defences apart. If we did this then May would have a field day, his pace would make him deadly with just a bit of space. Unfortunately he nearly always gets the ball without room to work.

England are weird in that we are actually pretty good at making overlaps but absolutely dire in exploiting them. I think this is a leftover from the old England mentality of playing 10 man rugby and practically never using the wings.

oh so right now it's okay to admit this openly when England are doing well.

Great stuff man. I really love this type of video. Sometimes, as a fan, I just watch the rugby purely as entertainment, forgetting to appreciate the tactical side of it too.

oh so right now it's okay to admit this openly when England are doing well.

It's ok to admit it when England weren't doing well. There is a difference between saying England only play 10 man rugby and England are not doing well trying to play 15 man rugby due to a history of 10 man rugby.

Like the vids. Great work. Check out www.youtube.com/orokosports to see what I do. Weedit vids like this for students to learn from. A great coaching tool. Linked to this vid, analyse Wasps some time, they use a back 6!!!

It's ok to admit it when England weren't doing well. There is a difference between saying England only play 10 man rugby and England are not doing well trying to play 15 man rugby due to a history of 10 man rugby.

:lol: selective memory, what a gorgeous, beautiful thing:
http://www.therugbyforum.com/thread...land-(Round-5)?p=628878&viewfull=1#post628878

Remember, this is the thread that had all of the English posters, I do believe literally all of them at the time, hooked on my tail gnawing relentlessly because I thought "England aren't a great attacking side at all, they've butchered a bunch of tries all 6N long". :p
Yeah...kinda puts your previous comment on this thread in perspective...now that it's an Englishman posting videos and written commentary about England's flaws, and now that England are looking fairly good and most people are complimenting their form, it's all goooood to concede a little bit, just a 'wittle bit' of a margin as to England's faults.

But don't make me say stuff I haven't said and turn this around ;)

http://www.therugbyforum.com/thread...land-(Round-5)?p=628878&viewfull=1#post628878

Remember, this is the thread that had all of the English posters, I do believe literally all of them at the time, hooked on my tail gnawing relentlessly because I thought "England aren't a great attacking side at all, they've butchered a bunch of tries all 6N long". :p
Yeah...kinda puts your previous comment on this thread in perspective...now that it's an Englishman posting videos and written commentary about England's flaws, and now that England are looking fairly good and most people are complimenting their form, it's all goooood to concede a little bit, just a 'wittle bit' of a margin as to England's faults.

I'm not sure it's fair to say England aren't a good a good attacking side. 3 tries against New Zealand would point otherwise... The video is more about highlighting individual players failings at decision making against a superior side.... They can still be a good attacking side and have poor decision making... It's just an area they need to improve if they want to consistently beat these kind of trans.

You are also selectively forgetting that you were heavily implying England were a poor attacking side for more than butchering opportunities. For starters the fact they were able to produce said opportunities was never brought up as a positive nor the fact that even with the butchering they still scored the 2nd most tries in the 6N. It's almost like saying a shotgun is poor weapon because much of it will miss. True but some of it will hit and England still got hits. A poor attacking side is one that can't score tries oir produce opportunities. They will crab left and right, get nowhere and then kick. England were not a poor attacking side, they were a poor finishing side. Big difference. This is still true. When England get the ball there are few defences that can stop them moving forwards. We just don't have the same killer instinct. However we have still scored a fair few tries against NZ so far this test, which says quite a lot I think.

I was exclusively focusing on England's inability to finish, and said nothing about the rest. In fact I might've said England were good enough to at least produce the opportunities really briefly, but that wasn't the point at hand. Indeed I should have said "finishing" but tbh this is right down to semantics. My point was clear, and nothing else was implied or unsaid, and ppl had reacted to *that*, not to semantics play where I left out England's ability to produce the moments (they would later butcher). You must remember my reaction was to someone (most probably you :p ) saying England were a "good" or "great" attacking side, which had me fall out of my seat because I watched every single 6N match closely and without being biased against Eng or wtvr, thought ppl had some nerve praising England's attack when I'd fresh memory of them massacring a hefty no. of very good opportunities.
So again, let's not derive the point to one that is peripheral to it, and let's stay in the serious, in the bulk of the topic.
It's clear enough, and it's nothing more than criticism: England's biggest flaw in 2014 has been finishing off plays. And again, it's funny yet completely expected that it comes across just fine months later from the mouth (or typing fingers) of a fellow Englishman. As if I were harsh on England, and complacent with France ! You'll find I'm not exactly the most biased Rugby fan or person in life in general...

However we have still scored a fair few tries against NZ so far this test,

No tries in the 1st Test......Yarde scored a good one, Brown "did not" score his try and the last try was so late in the game as to be a "non-counted" seem to dispute that statement!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts