• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Challenge 3 confirmed

I only ever played RC1, while I enjoyed it the offloads were a bit of a buzz kill. Would you say it's worth getting RC3 seeing as I didn't play RC2? Quite keen on this game but don't want to waste money.
I'm the same as you, bought one but didn't buy 2 as it just seemed like the same thing. I will pick up this one at some point mainly for the South African squads and sevens, but I'm expecting to be disappointed.

one thing ive noticed from the gameplay videos which i HATE,is the defensive line do not stand in a line, they just do some weird circular motion until the ball comes out of the ruck, then proceed to tackle. it looks awful. not sure of this has something to do with how TSC is playing but i hope that doesnt happen all the time, it looks stupid. seems like there is no offside rule after kicking either, numerous times his team kicked the ball down field with 80% of the players offside yet they were able to play the ball

Yes I have it. Appears to be just normal and NRC.

I am a little disappointed ATM. I thought they mentioned an all new career mode....it's exactly the same (no player improvement and just the drafting thing at the end of the season). The main aspect of career mode is starting young and improving them....no can do in this one.

Haven't played sevens or be a pro yet so can't comment about that but the game is exactly the same to me so far. Slightly better graphics and that's it. I've heard people say it feels different even if it doesn't look it - that's a lie. The only thing I've noticed is that you now how 2 mini games for conversions instead of the one.

Will keep playing but so far it feels the same and unchanged. At least it isn't offload central like the 1st one. It plays OK but I always thought that about the 2nd one.

- - - Updated - - -

OK so I'm halfway through a sevens match - they have got this spot on!!! Sevens works really really well! The only issue at this stage I'm noticing is the drop kick conversions are too easy - you get them from wide out etc. When as we know most are missed. Not too big of an issue.

Wow I'm really impressed in sevens and I'm not a fan of it in real life really!

Could you look if you can user control all teams in a tournament?

You are spot on. One of the players in the sevens video is so far offside it can only be a glitch. I love rc2 and will be buying rc3 straight up but it is disappointing such an obvious glitch wasn't fixed. I don't know anything about programming but I feel like some things were just thrown into the too hard basket. The defensive line issues are the same.

Hopefully I'll be able to get my copy before release and get my review up guys.

hate to really say it, but the game looks bad. Looks like a real lazy job has been done. Tiny development changes from RC2 which are barely noticeable at all, I won't be buying this one unfortunately as I wasnt a big fan of RC2 anyway. Graphics dont hold up aswell anymore like they did on xbox 360 etc

I'd suggest if anyone wants to see other gameplay videos that you search in YouTube for username: Cornf1ake

Having seen many of his gameplay vidoes for RC2, there does look to be a slightly different flow to the game now in RC3 - the really long passes from the AI look to have been cut out or atleast severely reduced in length, the in-play kicking options have been adjusted, the speed of the defenders in blitz defending looks to be a little slower overall, advantage duration is now played correctly and doesn't end immediately after you win the ball back

How it will play with further slider adjustments, I'll have to wait and see when the PC version is released.

In terms of the offside issue that Kiwiad1 raised, if you saw that in a ScottishCannon video I'd ask if he plays with the Offside option turned on or off. He's put up a gamplay options video recently and I saw that option was turned to OFF, so that might explain it.

Things I hate off the bat:

1) No player progression/degradation in Career Mode - why not!!!
2) They still have Yellow cards being issued for lineout throws not being straight
3) Conversions are far too easy, even on the Pro difficulty videos - the adjustments made are negated with how easy it now is
4) No Tour mode that I've seen - sure the Lions may not still be licensed, so why not a non-licensed, generic tour option???
5) Can't be ITM Cup/Mitre 10 teams at startup of Be A Pro mode - they've been classified as higher level teams, so you'd need to progress from your starting team before getting the change to play for them (which I find odd)
6) Super Rugby competition structure not up-to-date
7) Seven's career mode & Be a Pro mode looks light touch (and you can pick non-nationals for your 7's squad in Career mode)

Things I like:

1) Quick conversion option in Sevens mode (need to check the 15's videos to see if it is there)
2) Be a Pro Mode - Gameplay: I like the initial look and feel to the game being restricted to position, camera angles appear to work etc
3) Sevens looks like alot of fun
4) Be A Pro Mode - Stats and Records: so far looks to be fairly comprehensive in tracking your progression

Will be interested to see if any of the other rules bugs/oddities remain in the game from RC2, like times where you kick directly to touch when in your 22 or behind endgoal and the lineout is brought back to where you kicked it from.

Whilst I think from early views that it looks to play a little closer to real rugby, whether I buy the game at full price when released on PC is going to hinge on what we can do with the data under the hood. Is the database structure the same or easier to get at?
e.g. Can we add competitions to career mode via modding as in RC1, can we possibly access a career mode db to allow global player attribute changes between season (to simulate player progression/reduction) etc

If nothing else, glad to see rugby games still being released even if it is only a minor iteration on last time.

I'd suggest if anyone wants to see other gameplay videos that you search in YouTube for username: Cornf1ake

Having seen many of his gameplay vidoes for RC2, there does look to be a slightly different flow to the game now in RC3 - the really long passes from the AI look to have been cut out or atleast severely reduced in length, the in-play kicking options have been adjusted, the speed of the defenders in blitz defending looks to be a little slower overall, advantage duration is now played correctly and doesn't end immediately after you win the ball back

How it will play with further slider adjustments, I'll have to wait and see when the PC version is released.

In terms of the offside issue that Kiwiad1 raised, if you saw that in a ScottishCannon video I'd ask if he plays with the Offside option turned on or off. He's put up a gamplay options video recently and I saw that option was turned to OFF, so that might explain it.

Things I hate off the bat:

1) No player progression/degradation in Career Mode - why not!!!
2) They still have Yellow cards being issued for lineout throws not being straight
3) Conversions are far too easy, even on the Pro difficulty videos - the adjustments made are negated with how easy it now is
4) No Tour mode that I've seen - sure the Lions may not still be licensed, so why not a non-licensed, generic tour option???
5) Can't be ITM Cup/Mitre 10 teams at startup of Be A Pro mode - they've been classified as higher level teams, so you'd need to progress from your starting team before getting the change to play for them (which I find odd)
6) Super Rugby competition structure not up-to-date
7) Seven's career mode & Be a Pro mode looks light touch (and you can pick non-nationals for your 7's squad in Career mode)

Things I like:

1) Quick conversion option in Sevens mode (need to check the 15's videos to see if it is there)
2) Be a Pro Mode - Gameplay: I like the initial look and feel to the game being restricted to position, camera angles appear to work etc
3) Sevens looks like alot of fun
4) Be A Pro Mode - Stats and Records: so far looks to be fairly comprehensive in tracking your progression

Will be interested to see if any of the other rules bugs/oddities remain in the game from RC2, like times where you kick directly to touch when in your 22 or behind endgoal and the lineout is brought back to where you kicked it from.

Whilst I think from early views that it looks to play a little closer to real rugby, whether I buy the game at full price when released on PC is going to hinge on what we can do with the data under the hood. Is the database structure the same or easier to get at?
e.g. Can we add competitions to career mode via modding as in RC1, can we possibly access a career mode db to allow global player attribute changes between season (to simulate player progression/reduction) etc

If nothing else, glad to see rugby games still being released even if it is only a minor iteration on last time.

Great synopsis. I didn't know offsides could be turned off. I also agree it looks like the gameplay has been improved with small changes which I'm fine with. It happened from rc1 to rc2, things like kicking, offloads, defence and made it much more enjoyable. I don't mind the Ai throwing a crazy pass now and then because without it, it would be very hard to make games close.

I thought a little more could have been done with lineouts and scrum as they havent really changed since rc1 but I guess the time was spent on be a pro and sevens. It could turn out that one of those modes is where most of us spend our time playing the game so we will wait and see.

I live in Aussie and called jb on Thursday to see if it was sent . They are staying firm on the 22nd but from previous history I think we might get it a few days before. I will post on here if I can, can others please do the same if they beat me to it?

I live in Sydney and ordered the All Blacks edition from Mightyape.com.au and it was delivered to my door the next day.

Just a heads up for anyone who wants it now and is living in Australia.

Will post a proper review soon, but I'm not too happy with it. The game play seems quite messy and there doesn't seem to be any structure in the play. Often players are standing out of position I.e half back isn't there most of the time at rucks to play 9. From what I've seen not too much has changed apart from the modes.

From playing Rugby League Live 3 to this its a huge disappointment.

I live in Sydney and ordered the All Blacks edition from Mightyape.com.au and it was delivered to my door the next day.

Just a heads up for anyone who wants it now and is living in Australia.

Will post a proper review soon, but I'm not too happy with it. The game play seems quite messy and there doesn't seem to be any structure in the play. Often players are standing out of position I.e half back isn't there most of the time at rucks to play 9. From what I've seen not too much has changed apart from the modes.

From playing Rugby League Live 3 to this its a huge disappointment.

This is exactly what I expected pretty well as soon as I saw the first screen shots.

It's a shame given they went to the trouble of geting all the extra licenses and you have to wonder why they didn't engage with the rugby gaming community at all over our issues with the last one.

Literally only getting this game for Be a Pro at this point.

Literally only getting this game for Be a Pro at this point.

It's honestly boring. I started up as a winger and my team never gets the ball at the breakdown unless I enter (which never really happens as a winger) - end up with games of like 17% possession. Ball never gets passed out to my wing with the little ball we have. You'll have 1 run and make 2 tackles in a whole 10 minute game if you're lucky and play the position correctly. Basically Be a pro is probably only fun as a forward, halfback or 10 I'd say.

Also the goals (the only way your player progresses is by completing them) are just silly, I had one saying kick X metres (tad hard as a winger who gets no ball) and even worse was to kick a drop goal.....the goals don't seem catered towards the specific position.

Be a pro sevens is probably a lot more fun (actually sevens really is the only good from this game so far) I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Any questions and I'll be happy to answer.

Could you look if you can user control all teams in a tournament?

No unfortunately. Max of 8 user controlled teams.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats the fan hub like?

Doesn't work, didn't on release date and still doesn't - comes up with an error. Maybe something we won't see working until world release next week?

I'd assume it is what it is, has a search by most popular button and my uploads etc. All I can see for now unfortunately.

OK so the easy conversions and unrealistic scorelines aside, I've noticed a bug in the stats for the sevens - makes me wonder about the legitimacy of the rest of the stats.

IMG_20160417_234033.jpg

Didn't kick the ball once and France kicked it maybe once.

Somehow I don't think we had time to kick the ball 37 times and score over 100 points...

Cheers for that. Think i'll still by the game.

Regarding customisation I've just discovered a couple of things. You can link players which will be handy (no more duplicate players). Also you can't edit any "star players" which seems to be a lot of Super Rugby players for sure. Doesn't matter if their face has actually been done properly or not, can't edit anything about them - attributes included. Whilst this isn't a big deal as you can start fresh with creating the player, it's a bit disappointing that for the players that actually have their proper faces we can't edit some skills here and there.

Also those with a Vita and PS4 - I can confirm remote play works with no issues. Playing an actual game of rugby however is nearly impossible as sprint is the top right corner of the touch screen. So you can't sprint and tackle at the same time for example unless you had some crazy finger skills.

So would be perfectly fine for customising players/ teams and simming games. Not much else.

Can we all just agree that this is probably the best game we've had for a while, and yes it looks the same as RC2, but it's something promising to build on, unlike Rugby 15, where there is no hope

Latest posts