• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Challenge 3 confirmed

It's honestly boring. I started up as a winger and my team never gets the ball at the breakdown unless I enter (which never really happens as a winger) - end up with games of like 17% possession. Ball never gets passed out to my wing with the little ball we have. You'll have 1 run and make 2 tackles in a whole 10 minute game if you're lucky and play the position correctly. Basically Be a pro is probably only fun as a forward, halfback or 10 I'd say.

Also the goals (the only way your player progresses is by completing them) are just silly, I had one saying kick X metres (tad hard as a winger who gets no ball) and even worse was to kick a drop goal.....the goals don't seem catered towards the specific position.

Be a pro sevens is probably a lot more fun (actually sevens really is the only good from this game so far) I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Any questions and I'll be happy to answer.

Seems like Rugby League Live 3 Be a Pro mode. It was boring as in RLL3 playing as anything other than a hooker or fullback. I'll try the mode as a Fullback and see how it goes.

Edit: I should have my copy tomorrow or by Wednesday so I'll have my full review up as quickly as I can once I test all the game modes.
From then on I'll start working on the team lists (hoping Fan Hub will be up next week)

Last edited:
As someone posted above Cornflake's videos are much better, seems to actually play in his position rather than running around like headless chicken/offloading all the time. looks a lot better when he is playing compared to TSC. ive pre-ordered mine but unlikely to be delivered until friday, im just looking forward to a playable union game again. just hope they can build on this for next year and that we do not have to wait another 3 years for minor improvements

Can we all just agree that this is probably the best game we've had for a while, and yes it looks the same as RC2, but it's something promising to build on, unlike Rugby 15, where there is no hope

The problem with your statement is the part which has been bolded. The promising base to build on was the first Rugby Challenge. The next iteration was marginally better and buggy with a patch taking quite a while to come through. This game again looks like it will be marginally better than the second one, adding a sevens mode and be a pro mode. Reports so far have stated that the mode I was hoping to have the most improvement (Season mode) is pretty much the same as RC2. Why should we accept a marginally better game and praise it at full retail price when they have failed to show much initiative in building on the good base that they created? Rugby Challenge was a decent game when it came out. But now if we compare Rugby Challenge 3 with any of the niche game ***les by BigAnt (Rugby League http://store.steampowered.com/app/312920/ Lacrosse http://store.steampowered.com/app/353890/ and Cricket http://store.steampowered.com/app/216260/ ) You can definitely see a difference in quality, effort and replayability in the games.

I mean I know absolutely nothing about Lacrosse, but just looking at the reviews for the game and some videos/descriptions I want to get it.

The problem with your statement is the part which has been bolded. The promising base to build on was the first Rugby Challenge. The next iteration was marginally better and buggy with a patch taking quite a while to come through. This game again looks like it will be marginally better than the second one, adding a sevens mode and be a pro mode. Reports so far have stated that the mode I was hoping to have the most improvement (Season mode) is pretty much the same as RC2. Why should we accept a marginally better game and praise it at full retail price when they have failed to show much initiative in building on the good base that they created? Rugby Challenge was a decent game when it came out. But now if we compare Rugby Challenge 3 with any of the niche game ***les by BigAnt (Rugby League http://store.steampowered.com/app/312920/ Lacrosse http://store.steampowered.com/app/353890/ and Cricket http://store.steampowered.com/app/216260/ ) You can definitely see a difference in quality, effort and replayability in the games.

I mean I know absolutely nothing about Lacrosse, but just looking at the reviews for the game and some videos/descriptions I want to get it.

lets hope big ant decide to make a rival rugby union game. RLL3 is ace

Personally I think RC1 to RC2 was a big step up gameplay wise and if they same had occurred for RC3 we'd be praising how amazing the game could be. They've taken it in another direction and instead focused on new game modes rather than the gameplay. I think we probably all wanted the latter but the game modes are probably a bigger selling point to the uninformed.

The only thing I want from a rugby game is set plays and a good defensive AI. That's it. I couldn't give a **** about career mode, 7s, be a pro, licences, supposed "next gen graphics" etc etc etc. RC3 in its current state would be unplayable if they implemented set plays. The defensive and attacking systems are erratic at best. Players are always out of position on the pitch. The scrum half is rarely the 9 at the base of a ruck. The 10 hardly stands at first receiver. The defense from the AI is clueless in that they bunch a **** load of players together in a tight space, be it right beside a ruck, or randomly in midfield, where you could have 5 players marking 1. The fullback always stands in the most retarded position defensively and can hardly ever track back to make a decent cover tackle, a lot of the time it's because the fullback never reacts to the play that is going on until the attacking team is 10m from the line. If WW or Tru Blu or whoever they are make RC4, they cannot include set plays as the game will be a disaster. They would probably need to have a complete overhaul of the engine/system/whatever. With the amount of money it would cost to change the engine/system, they probably couldn't include an set plays. So it would be RC5 before we get any decent gameplay with any type of set plays, or we get RC4 with set plays but the gameplay would be a disaster.

Sorry for the incoherent rant, but it is disgraceful how rugby gaming fans are being treated with absolute fools in charge.

I have seen all your comments and agree a lot, however this is faaar better than anything that HB Studios can produce, so let's accept that this was a port onto next gen which many games were (FIFA 14, some of the 2k games) here's to RC4 being better
Also, this was WWs first time with the game so I think that RC4 will almost definitely be better

I have seen all your comments and agree a lot, however this is faaar better than anything that HB Studios can produce, so let's accept that this was a port onto next gen which many games were (FIFA 14, some of the 2k games) here's to RC4 being better
Also, this was WWs first time with the game so I think that RC4 will almost definitely be better

yea i think we can have a little more faith in tru blu and WW, although their marketing/public relations was awful. hopefully they decide to go for an annual/bi-annual release to get more revenue, im more than happy to keep purchasing if they improve on it. 3 years was a little too long between games for little change. part of me thinks this was due to lack of money as they have barely changed anything

- - - Updated - - -

also didnt tru blue also publish RLL3? if thats the case why didnt they get big ant to make RC3 instead?

yea i think we can have a little more faith in tru blu and WW, although their marketing/public relations was awful. hopefully they decide to go for an annual/bi-annual release to get more revenue, im more than happy to keep purchasing if they improve on it. 3 years was a little too long between games for little change. part of me thinks this was due to lack of money as they have barely changed anything

- - - Updated - - -

also didnt tru blue also publish RLL3? if thats the case why didnt they get big ant to make RC3 instead?

Totally agree, it was WWs first attempt at a rugby union game, so they wanted time to work out the engine. I heard that they actually wanted to develop RLL3 engine into a union game, but I prefer the graphics of RC3, as RLL3 seems too bright

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree, it was WWs first attempt at a rugby union game, so they wanted time to work out the engine. I heard that they actually wanted to develop RLL3 engine into a union game, but I prefer the graphics of RC3, as RLL3 seems too bright

True, if this was WW's engine, but it's not, it's Sidhes or TruBlu's engine. WW didn't create it, so they were stuck with what was there. I can't see how much innovation is possible with someone else's engine. I would think WW would need to build one from the ground up to input their vision.

In any event, it's still a million times better than that Rubbish Rugby 15!

True, if this was WW's engine, but it's not, it's Sidhes or TruBlu's engine. WW didn't create it, so they were stuck with what was there. I can't see how much innovation is possible with someone else's engine. I would think WW would need to build one from the ground up to input their vision.

In any event, it's still a million times better than that Rubbish Rugby 15!

Yes, far better than Rugby 15. WW did add sevens and be a pro, so it's exciting to see what they have for future games. Hopefully all the licenses and maybe even a take on pro clubs

Some sliders would be nice i.e - AI Defence moves quicker, AI Defence has better tackle success. Little sliders like that to tweak the game. Some of the biggest issues in Rugby Games since Rugby 06 is the fact that the defence moves at the same pace as your players, meaning you can just run around them alot of the time. I'd prefer they moved quicker so you could look for holes and run it straight, rather than scoring almost every try with your wingers or (if you have Hougaard as your halfback) a halfback who just runs around the entire defence past the wingers and into the try area.

got my copy today and it's just so disappointing... it's just a graphic and console upgrade from rc2 with less licenses

Some sliders would be nice i.e - AI Defence moves quicker, AI Defence has better tackle success. Little sliders like that to tweak the game. Some of the biggest issues in Rugby Games since Rugby 06 is the fact that the defence moves at the same pace as your players, meaning you can just run around them alot of the time. I'd prefer they moved quicker so you could look for holes and run it straight, rather than scoring almost every try with your wingers or (if you have Hougaard as your halfback) a halfback who just runs around the entire defence past the wingers and into the try area.

There's a tackle ability slider and defensive urgency slider, probably the closest to what you're describing.

So far there is one user review on metacritic. The person gave the game a five out of ten and said this:

"Basically just Rugby Challenge 2 in HD.
They've added sevens which is pretty fun and be a pro mode, both of which are pretty decent.
However nothing has changed other than graphics in the other modes, they play just the same, have the same problems/bugs as RC2, which is frustrating as ****. Career still has no player development... Pro (the hardest difficulty provide stuff all challenge (ironically).
Overall I'd just say not worth it if you own RC2 unless you REALLY NEED sevens, but honestly I feel my money has gone down the drain rebuying a game I already own."

ok i have been reading the thread since the release of RC3 in NZL and vids going up on youtube... damn you guys complain about *****! i mean cmon, dont bash the game until you play it. whatever if its the same as RC2, at least we got a game with decent graphics and gameplay. now we have 7's, be a pro, fully licensed Super Rugby, Currie Cup (that one sold me)... at least it isnt Rugby 15!!

so chill the f out and enjoy and last thing, be bloody thanful!

some of you carry on like ungrateful little brats!!!! DAMN!!!!

damn you guys complain about *****! i mean cmon, dont bash the game until you play it.

We haven't played it (although some have), but we can comment on the information, videos and photos released of gameplay, personal experience of people who have played the game and game features. Most of the signs from these sources have indicated that there is not much difference from Rugby Challenge 2 gameplay wise and very much looks like the same game with two new modes (the only glowingly positive thing coming out of the new features - sevens and a mode which is receiving a fair amount of criticism from those who have played it - be a pro) . Why should we not criticise something that is on the market at full retail price which doesn't show much progression from the previous iteration?

whatever if its the same as RC2, at least we got a game with decent graphics and gameplay. now we have 7's, be a pro, fully licensed Super Rugby, Currie Cup (that one sold me)... at least it isnt Rugby 15!!

Agreed, we did have a game with decent gameplay and graphics, it was called Rugby Challenge and released in 2011. Some say that RC2 was a fair step up from RC1 while others disagree. But now we are five years down the line with a third iteration of the game and not much has changed. Saying we have fully licensed Super Rugby isn't completely true (because 3 teams aren't there) but even then, those licenses could be edited into the previous games anyway. And we have also lost league licenses in the process, specifically NH supporters have lost out.

Saying at least it isn't Rugby 15 is a pretty poor bar to be setting.
so chill the f out and enjoy and last thing, be bloody thanful!

some of you carry on like ungrateful little brats!!!! DAMN!!!!

Be thankful? This game isn't free, it going out at full retail, of course we can criticise it. There have been three attempts at this game now, this time given to a small developer by Tru Blu instead of an established sports developer who do amazing things with low resources (Again, I am talking about Big Ant) they went with a developer who previously focused on mobile games and had no real big releases of note to speak of. See my previous post on here to see what Big Ant can do with niche sports game with limited budgets.

I will not simply accept that we must be grateful for something because they are the only ones doing it. I was grateful in 2011, I am not grateful now. I will be grateful when the game has improvements and is moving forward or that Tru Blu put some effort on their side, but they haven't since 2011 in my view. We are not brats for criticising their product. They have released a product on the market and we are entitled to praise and criticise it for what it is and what it has changed or not changed.

Moreover, this is a rugby forum which cares deeply about our sport. This probably the only place where people are properly engaging with the ***le and taking a look at whether it is going forward or not. If you don't want to see criticism of a game then you probably shouldn't come here. So far there have been two people who have said positive things about the game without playing it (not including you) while the responses from people who have played it have been mixed to poor. Everyone is absolutely entitled to an opinion on this game, but don't try to shut other people down by attacking them and calling them brats because they don't share your view.

not at all, i am only stating that people complain about the game before playing it... i havent played it, but what i have seen, it looks ok (not great, but decent)

if you want to ***** and moan about it, then dont buy it SIMPLE.
rugby gaming hasnt boomed as yet, so we need to be happy with what we get.. that is all i am saying.

to add, i am not calling them brats, i am saying dont carry on like ungrateful little brats, there's a difference.

Latest posts