• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RUGBY CHALLENGE 4

I dont know what we can read into this but i just stumbled upon the playstation official blog saying RC4 being released this week - safe to say its not there yet but surely its close

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/19/playstation-store-new-games-launching-next-week-2/
Absolutely nothing. That blog post was last week and had a date of 24th of June so definitely not coming out this week.

A guy on a FB page "Rugby Challenge 4 Community" got a reply on Friday from the FB "Rugby Challenge Official Game" page saying a release date should be announced in the next 2 weeks but again take it with a pinch of salt until a proper announcement.

This is from the official facebook page!!!
"It has been a tough few months, but the wait is nearly over.
To get Rugby Challenge 4 out as soon as possible, we are planning to release in "Early Access" on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch by the end of July.
More details to come before launch, so stay tuned!"

Massively excited for this game!!

Does anyone have any info on which teams are licensed? For example is the sunwolves/ jags in superugby? Are their North/ South island teams? Also wondering if they have a 8 team curriecup.

Would be nice if they could launch a playthrough video.

Trailler

I haven't bought one since the first one, but am looking to jump back into the series with this one.

What I just don't understand with the publishers on this one is how incredibly inept their marketing and promotion has been. It looks like their twitter page has been removed, their website has never been updated with information and the Facebook page had some sporadic posting of kits and players and just went silent. That was their only communication channel and they then said "Cool, later this month likely for consoles", then all the additional information, including new screenshots, the game trailer and the release trailer have been silently released on the Microsoft Store.

I expect it to be a superior game to Rugby 20, but the Rugby 20 marketing staff completely blows them out the water in terms of generating product awareness and customer engagement.

Ditto on being willing to jump back into this series, and also sitting on not being able to understand how this game has been so poorly communicated on, marketed and managed. I understand this is a small studio and a small publisher, but stuff like providing an update for your game that has been delayed months upon months is not much to ask for. You are asking people to fork out triple A ***le money. They're entitled to an update.

I am concerned that the animations I've seen from gameplay videos look the same, despite the game being on a new engine. I am concerned at the lack of licenses. Hopefully the creation center being cross platform in nature can fix the lack of licenses though.

I haven't bought one since the first one, but am looking to jump back into the series with this one.

What I just don't understand with the publishers on this one is how incredibly inept their marketing and promotion has been. It looks like their twitter page has been removed, their website has never been updated with information and the Facebook page had some sporadic posting of kits and players and just went silent. That was their only communication channel and they then said "Cool, later this month likely for consoles", then all the additional information, including new screenshots, the game trailer and the release trailer have been silently released on the Microsoft Store.

I expect it to be a superior game to Rugby 20, but the Rugby 20 marketing staff completely blows them out the water in terms of generating product awareness and customer engagement.

Welcome to Tru Blu and their ambush marketing technique. Granted this game has been the worst promoted of all the games so far though. But usually they don't start promoting until say a month out from release. Usually a trailer and release two weeks later.
The microsoft store release seems to have been an accident.

What I don't get is why this sport is always so poor as a game, after Rugby 08 there hasn't been enough to draw the gaming rugby public to queue for rugby games and that it fly's off the shelves.

Marketing and the products have been utterly poor for the last 12 years!!

And with the next-gen consoles probably releasing before this game, why even bother???

What are the general thoughts now we have a trailer and more info, my thoughts are these...

+ I like the idea of a cross platform fan hub but I am wondering does this mean playfaces like Big Ant use will be possible, e.g made on PC and then able to be downloaded on PS4 or Xbox One

+ The kit creator also sounds interesting , again can we download logos and kits, if so this could be huge

+ The graphics are a huge step up and the best of any rugby game ever from what I have seen

+ Crossfield kick is a nice move to put in the game

- The gameplay does however seem to be the same as Rugby Challenge 3, which is ok I like its gameplay but I have to admit certain animations I'd have liked to seen changed or expanded upon

Even if RC4 is very similar to RC3 I would still buy it, I just hope they at least;
Added some animations
Fixed the passing problems
Made scrums more interesting(maybe a way to force a penalty or so) + the same with mauls
Goal kicks and drop-ins should be adjustable for long and short range
And lastly I really hope the AI and set plays are enjoyable, maybe in a similar way as rugby 08 or rugby 20

RC3 was in my opinion the best rugby game available but it just had too many small things that ruined the experience so fingers crossed that they at least fixed the small things..

What I don't get is why this sport is always so poor as a game, after Rugby 08 there hasn't been enough to draw the gaming rugby public to queue for rugby games and that it fly's off the shelves.

Marketing and the products have been utterly poor for the last 12 years!!

And with the next-gen consoles probably releasing before this game, why even bother???

1. Because World Rugby does nothing to help the game companies or the growth of the game. And teams are restricted to only being able to licence one game for some reason.

2. Marketing for anything other than AAA is usually sub par but I definitely agree this is below sub par for rugby games.

3. Next gen isn't really that much more amazing, the hardware is better but at the end of the day it still lags behind a PC. the fact that this game is 20gb is a big step up, it uses 4k textures and will be compatible with the next gen. Going above and beyond 4k textures at this stage is pointless, how many of you own a 4k tv or a tv that has a 144hz refresh rate?
People hype up these next gen consoles but do they have the peripherals to use them to their maximum potential? (For me it's not an issue I build my own PC and upgrade parts constantly because I'm a bit of an e-peen glory hog). At its base the game was always made with a PC version in mind. It probably started its life as the PC version before they got far enough in to start using the XBOX and PS developers tools. I would say the game will be fine in this regard.

Welcome to Tru Blu and their ambush marketing technique. Granted this game has been the worst promoted of all the games so far though. But usually they don't start promoting until say a month out from release. Usually a trailer and release two weeks later.
The microsoft store release seems to have been an accident.
Glad this game is finally coming out! The release on xbox.com says July 28 now though.

About the marketing, it is the worst I have ever seen for a game. What is really baffling is that this same publisher and developer also makes AFL Evolution 2 and it had marketing. They even moved the release date up because of the COVID 19 pandemic.

Latest posts