• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: Australia - New Zealand (18/08/2012)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
TRC.png

ANZ Stadium, Sydney (18-08-2012, 11:00 GMT)

Australia.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
New Zealand.png

Referee: Alain Rolland
30px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png

Assistants: Nigel Owens
30px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png
& Lourens van der Merwe
30px-Flag_of_South_Africa.png

Television match official: Matt Goddard
30px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png

[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR][TD] Australia [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] New Zealand [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Kurtley Beale [/TD][TD] 15 [/TD][TD] Israel Dagg [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Adam Ashley-Cooper [/TD][TD] 14 [/TD][TD] Cory Jane [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Rob Horne [/TD][TD] 13 [/TD][TD] Ma'a Nonu [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Anthony Fainga'a [/TD][TD] 12 [/TD][TD] Sonny Bill Williams [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Digby Ioane [/TD][TD] 11 [/TD][TD] Hosea Gear [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Berrick Barnes [/TD][TD] 10 [/TD][TD] Daniel Carter [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Wille Genia [/TD][TD] 9 [/TD][TD] Aaron Smith [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Scott Higginbotham [/TD][TD] 8 [/TD][TD] Kieran Read [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] David Pocock © [/TD][TD] 7 [/TD][TD] Richie McCaw © [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Dave Dennis [/TD][TD] 6 [/TD][TD] Liam Messam [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Nathan Sharpe [/TD][TD] 5 [/TD][TD] Samuel Whitelock [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Sitaleki Timani [/TD][TD] 4 [/TD][TD] Luke Romano [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Sekope Kepu [/TD][TD] 3 [/TD][TD] Owen Franks [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Tatafu Polota-Nau [/TD][TD] 2 [/TD][TD] Keven Mealamu [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Benn Robinson [/TD][TD] 1 [/TD][TD] Tony Woodcock [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Stephen Moore [/TD][TD] 16 [/TD][TD] Andrew Hore [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] James Slipper [/TD][TD] 17 [/TD][TD] Ben Franks [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Rob Simmons [/TD][TD] 18 [/TD][TD] Brodie Retallick [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Radike Samo [/TD][TD] 19 [/TD][TD] Victor Vito [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Michael Hooper [/TD][TD] 20 [/TD][TD] Piri Weepu [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Nick Phipps [/TD][TD] 21 [/TD][TD] Aaron Cruden [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Drew Mitchell [/TD][TD] 22 [/TD][TD] Ben Smith [/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

The match between Australia and New Zealand is one of the most played in the world. The 2 teams, only divided by a small stretch of water, have played 143 times and New Zealand have won the most with 97. Australia managed to win 41 times and 5 times there was a draw. The match this Saturday will be played in Sydney, where the two teams met 11 times before in the last 15 years alone. A total of 39 matches were played in Sydney but at different venues. The last time they met at ANZ Stadium it ended in a cracker where the All Blacks won by a single point, 22-23. The All Blacks are unbeaten at ANZ Stadium since 2008. Back in 2008 the Wallabies won 34-19 for the Tri-Nations tournament. Of the last 10 meetings in Sydney, each team won 5.

Australia suffered lately with lack of depth and serious injuries. Even the youngsers making their mark are not spared when it comes to injuries. Luckily for Robbie Deans, Quade Cooper and Kurtley Beale are back in the squad but David Pocock will lead the side with the absence of James Horwill, who is the first choice captain. The side includes a lot of youngsters and 4 of them are still waiting to make their debut. Kane Douglas (Waratahs), Nic White (Brumbies) and the Reds-duo Jake Schatz and Liam Gill are eager to earn their first cap.

New Zealand will be counting on the brilliance of Dan Carter and the leadership of Ritchie McCaw. The 2 stars started the year recovering from injuries but both seem to have found their form just in time for the Rugby Championship. There is 1 uncapped player in the squad in Charlie Faumuina but young guys Aaron Smith, Brodie Retallick and Julian Savea will try to fight their way into the team with Same Cane being regarded as the openside flanker for the future.

Last 10 meetings in Sydney:

[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR][TD] 11th​ Sep 2010: [/TD][TD] Australia [/TD][TD] 22-23 [/TD][TD] New Zealand [/TD][TD] at ANZ Stadium, Sydney [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 22th​ Aug 2009: [/TD][TD] Australia [/TD][TD] 18-19 [/TD][TD] New Zealand [/TD][TD] at ANZ Stadium, Sydney [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 26th​ Jul 2008: [/TD][TD] Australia [/TD][TD] 34-19 [/TD][TD] New Zealand [/TD][TD] at ANZ Stadium, Sydney [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 13th​ Aug 2005: [/TD][TD] Australia [/TD][TD] 13-30 [/TD][TD] New Zealand [/TD][TD] at ANZ Stadium, Sydney [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 7th​ Aug 2004: [/TD][TD] Australia [/TD][TD] 23-18 [/TD][TD] New Zealand [/TD][TD] at ANZ Stadium, Sydney [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 15th​ Nov 2003: [/TD][TD] Australia [/TD][TD] 22-10 [/TD][TD] New Zealand [/TD][TD] at ANZ Stadium, Sydney [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 26th​ Jul 2003: [/TD][TD] Australia [/TD][TD] 21-50 [/TD][TD] New Zealand [/TD][TD] at ANZ Stadium, Sydney [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 3rd​ Aug 2002: [/TD][TD] Australia [/TD][TD] 16-14 [/TD][TD] New Zealand [/TD][TD] at ANZ Stadium, Sydney [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 1st​ Sep 2001: [/TD][TD] Australia [/TD][TD] 29-26 [/TD][TD] New Zealand [/TD][TD] at ANZ Stadium, Sydney [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] 15th​ Jul 2000: [/TD][TD] Australia [/TD][TD] 35-39 [/TD][TD] New Zealand [/TD][TD] at ANZ Stadium, Sydney [/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

Talk about a massive game.

AB's know to keep the bledisloe they need to win one of their games in Aussie. And the Aussies will know if they lose this game their chances of winning either the Bledisloe or the championship will be Slim.

I think Aussie will be seriously targeting this game, they have had a long buildup thanks to none of their teams doing well in super rugby so overall they have two weeks advantage for buildup over the South African and NZ squads. Not only is the silverware on the line but so is the job of Dingo Deans. he basically needs to figure out how how to win his home games against the All Blacks or lose his job.

Sydney is the closest thing to what the ABs have in Auckland is that right? By he looks of it anyway.

Will be interesting.

vBookie Wallabies - All Blacks

Added the vBookie for this one as well.

SBW has been cleared to play, so I'd expect him to start at 12, with Nonu outside him at centre. Personally I'm not convinced with Nonu at centre (I'd prefer Ellison or Ben Smith), but unfortunately I'm not a selector! I think the AB's 22 will look like this:
1. Woodcock, 2. Hore, 3. O Franks, 4. Retallick, 5. Whitelock, 6. Vito, 7. McCaw, 8. Read, 9. A Smith, 10. Carter, 11, Gear, 12. Bill-Williams, 13. Nonu, 14. Jane, 15. Dagg
Reserves
: 16. Mealamu, 17. B Franks, 18. Romano, 19. Thomson, 20. Weepu, 21. Cruden, 22. B Smith

The only real question marks I have is who will be the starting at 2, 6, and 11. Mealamu vs Hore is a 50:50 choice for me, while blindside flnaker is probably the most hotly contested condition, with Thomson, Messam, and Vito all with a realistic chance to start at 6 (or be on the bench). Gear vs Savea is a 50:50 call for the left wing too, but I'd (just) favour Gear against Australia due to his experience.

ohhh I put my 250 down then saw the odds

I'm surprised at the odds, not even worth backing.

i'm really interested to see the Aussie team selection, AB's are pretty predictable, really not sure what Deans is going to put out.

SBW has been cleared to play, so I'd expect him to start at 12, with Nonu outside him at centre. Personally I'm not convinced with Nonu at centre (I'd prefer Ellison or Ben Smith), but unfortunately I'm not a selector! I think the AB's 22 will look like this:
1. Woodcock, 2. Hore, 3. O Franks, 4. Retallick, 5. Whitelock, 6. Vito, 7. McCaw, 8. Read, 9. A Smith, 10. Carter, 11, Gear, 12. Bill-Williams, 13. Nonu, 14. Jane, 15. Dagg
Reserves
: 16. Mealamu, 17. B Franks, 18. Romano, 19. Thomson, 20. Weepu, 21. Cruden, 22. B Smith

The only real question marks I have is who will be the starting at 2, 6, and 11. Mealamu vs Hore is a 50:50 choice for me, while blindside flnaker is probably the most hotly contested condition, with Thomson, Messam, and Vito all with a realistic chance to start at 6 (or be on the bench). Gear vs Savea is a 50:50 call for the left wing too, but I'd (just) favour Gear against Australia due to his experience.

Very surprising, Darwin! ;)

I had better not, or you will get jealous that I am after your man.
I do think he is a very good player, even though some write him off.

I think it's poor to stick Williams in there. They should've given Ma'a the 12 jersey and had Smith or Ellison in the 13... Quite hypocritical from the coaches IMO especially when they stated earlier in the year when Gear was going to go to Japan that they would pick the guy staying over the guy leaving... Not the case with SBW though... And before anyone says anything, I've got nothing against Sonny Bill I just think it was a poor move from the selectors when they said the exact opposite earlier this year.

And because of the Sharks, I've lost all my vcash and I have to put my lonesome 250 on the aussies just in case :p

I'd be surprised to see Messam in the 22, purely because he's just come off the end of a long season. Retalick is a bit different because we're short of locks, and Cane only plays 25 minutes every game anyway.

Reserves

I'm sure Ellison will be the utility option on the bench. No way Thomson will be in the 22 either.

I'm sure Ellison will be the utility option on the bench. No way Thomson will be in the 22 either.

Ellison is certainly a bench option, but Ben Smith gives you just as much utility value, and was used there during the first two Ireland tests (and is a better player ;) ). I think the bench loose-froward spot, like the 6 spot, is very much up for grabs. The selectors rate Thomson very highly, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is given the first shot, especially as Messam has just come off a very busy season with the Chiefs.

I think it's poor to stick Williams in there. They should've given Ma'a the 12 jersey and had Smith or Ellison in the 13... Quite hypocritical from the coaches IMO especially when they stated earlier in the year when Gear was going to go to Japan that they would pick the guy staying over the guy leaving... Not the case with SBW though... And before anyone says anything, I've got nothing against Sonny Bill I just think it was a poor move from the selectors when they said the exact opposite earlier this year.

And because of the Sharks, I've lost all my vcash and I have to put my lonesome 250 on the aussies just in case :p

I agree. If they're going to play SBW, then have him either start in front of Nonu, or have either of them come off the bench. I think it's better to have Ben Smith or Ellison start at centre than Nonu or SBW there.

he loved?...just him?

Rest assured, I loved it too. It was a special moment for all involved. Anyways, back on topic......

I agree. If they're going to play SBW, then have him either start in front of Nonu, or have either of them come off the bench. I think it's better to have Ben Smith or Ellison start at centre than Nonu or SBW there.

I agree with you and Dizzy. I think this is the perfect opportunity to try someone new at centre, as Conrad Smith isn't going to be around for ever (and Kahui is likely to be injured...).

I think Ellison would be a very safe bet at 13

I think ben smith would be good there too, heck he's got the skills to play anywhere 10-15 but he has not clocked up much game time in the midfield

I would hug ben smith given half the chance.

I'm interested on what people think on Thomson vs. Vito

I thought going into the Irish series Vito was ahead in the pecking order bit after that I think Thomson edges him now. Actually before the series I think the pecking order was Vito, Thomo, Liam but after the series the order was basically reversed. Though I don't think Messam will start this weekend because of his involvement in the super finals. Picking fresh players is going to be important going up against the Aussies who are basically all 100% rested after not being involved in the last two weeks of super rugby at all.

I think Ellison would be a very safe bet at 13

I think ben smith would be good there too, heck he's got the skills to play anywhere 10-15 but he has not clocked up much game time in the midfield

I would hug ben smith given half the chance.

I'm interested on what people think on Thomson vs. Vito

I thought going into the Irish series Vito was ahead in the pecking order bit after that I think Thomson edges him now. Actually before the series I think the pecking order was Vito, Thomo, Liam but after the series the order was basically reversed. Though I don't think Messam will start this weekend because of his involvement in the super finals. Picking fresh players is going to be important going up against the Aussies who are basically all 100% rested after not being involved in the last two weeks of super rugby at all.

Personally I rate Vito ahead of Thomson, as I think his style of play is better suited to test rugby (or, perhaps more importantly, his style of play is more suited to what the All Blacks need out of their blindside flanker). I do think Thomson is very underrated by many though - he has a massive work-rate, a brilliant aerial game (something that is very important against the likes of South Africa), and is very solid in defense. For me I (just) have Vito as my 1st choice AB's 6 (as I think in general he has looked the most comfortable at test level), followed by Messam, then Thomson, but I really don't think there is much at all between all three of them!

Latest posts